This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Memorial to the Resistance near the Thibault Cross

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
Does anybody know anything about this memorial? Like when it was erected. I must say, there can't have been much expense used to make the 'monument', as it appears to be just a lump of rock. The plaque beneath it begins, "Nafarroa 1940-1944 Orion. Brett Morton Réseaux l'evasion et de renseignements ... " I have googled (of course) and found nothing that mentions the memorial. Were the names of the networks 'Orion' and 'Brett Morton'? I took the photo on a misty day, 19 June.

I don't think it was here in 2014.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sometimes the search function of the forum provides better results than google.
Try and search for 'Brett Morton' and you will find this post by @Kathar1na

There is so much where we walk past without knowing anything about it or even noticing it.

I noticed in the map in post #79 that there is a Forêt d'Orion - the forest of Orion. Orion is a hamlet in the area. And it is the name of one of the networks of the French Resistance during WWII that is honoured by the new memorial on the Route Napoléon; the network took its name from the hamlet, there is an article about this connection in the French Wikipedia.

I also happened to discover why the other network was called Mission Brett-Morton. Albert Brett and Morton were the code names of two members of these clandestine networks. Their real names were Albert Brouard and Roger Mitchell.

This really happened. Unlike the movie.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
This monument is significant in and of itself. Expense, more expense, does not relate to its significance; in fact, it detracts from significance . . . in my opinion. Chuck

Most read last week in this forum