• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meindl boots

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Some of you in the past have mentioned you like Meindl boots. Later this week, Phil and I will visit the only Meindl store in the US in Sidney, NE. Currently I wear a La Sportiva GTX boot for winter Caminos that is made on the same last as my beloved La Sportiva Bushido II trail runners ( I have 4 pairs of new ones in the closet as I am afraid they will stop making this trail runner). My boots fit me well, but will need replacing after my winter 2025 Camino and volunteer work.

Phil wears a pair of Lowe Renegades, also waterproof, for winter Caminos. He needs a new pair and likes his boots. He wants to see if Meindl has anything he might like better.

Those of you who have Meindl boots, what do you like about them. Some pilgrims we've met have had their Meindl boots re-soled at the factory in Europe, but that would not be possible for us. One pilgrim in 2021 walking from Poland told Phil he had 2 pairs. He walked in one pair until they needed resoled, then used the other pair until they needed new soles. He was walking from Poland to Santiago and back.

Let us know if you have experience with this brand. Prices don't look any higher than some of our other boots and shoes. The store is only open Monday- Friday and they close for lunch. Since we'll be passing through on our way to our new home in Missouri, Phil wanted to check them out. They've never been open when we've passed through before.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hi there,

Over the years I've walked on walking shoes and boots from a couple of manufacturers. There are a number of good brands like Hanwag, Lowe, Meindl. So I wouldn't speak badly of one of those: I don't believe in the "there is only one brand that's the absolute best".

That having said, I've been a very happy customer of Meindl for the last 25 years or so. Also because I have a wide forefoot and Meindl always has a couple of models that have just that. They suit me just fine, also because I hardly had to break them in. They were very comfortable from the very start.

The other brands I've walked in are Hanwag and Lowe. Those were fine as well.

Why I've stuck to Meindl for the past decades is also because of the service they provide. Although Meindl has become a big company by now, they still have the ethics of the small family company they once were.

My wife and I had both bought Meindl boots for our walking trips in Europe. Then, from 2005-2009 we walked on them from our home town in Holland to St. Jean. I've had them resoled in 2010. In 2011 I've walked on them from St. Jean to Santiago. At the end the upper part of one shoe was coming loose from the sole. But otherwise they were still fine.

So I went to the shop were I bought them. They agreed: it seemed worthwile to have them repaired. But they couldn't give me an estimate, because they would have to send them to Meind. But, before carrying out an expensive repair, they would have Meindl give an estimate of how much it would cost.

Three weeks later I got a call from the shop: my boots had arrived and I could pick them up. I was a bit surprised, because I was expecting to get an estimate of the cost first. So I went there, preparing myself for a discussion about the price (if I thought it to be too expensive).

To my surprise Meindl hadn't just repaired the shoe were it had come loose, but they had replaced the whole upper part. So I got in fact a whole new shoe (with a 1 year old sole).

And it was for free. To my surprise. When I asked how this had come to be, the girl behind the counter showed me the reply from Meindl: they felt that, given the quality I could expect from their boots, the upper part of the shoe wasn't supposed to come loose after only 6 years.

Meindl offer a range of ladies wide fit footwear. They call them Comfort fit. A couple of years ago I walked the Laugevegur Trail in Iceland so I invested in a pair of Meindl Meran GTX Ladies boots. Comfort fit is the right name and they've never caused me any problem. A rare experience for me! Perfect for winter and/or rough terrain. The ankle area is lined with memory foam and within a few steps I forget I've boots on.

Finding a boot that really fits your foot is the most important thing, far more than the brand. Also decide what category suits the sort of walking you'll do. My boots are A/B, not too light for Iceland nor too stiff for walks in the UK.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
the only Meindl store in the US in Sidney, NE
I hope that you won't be disappointed. I had a very quick look at the offer of Meindl low-cut walking shoes on the website of this US Meindl store and also on the website of a walking gear shop hear in Europe that I had visited on Saturday and that has a decent selection of Meindl low-cut walking shoes (cat. A or A/B).

Maybe I did not look carefully enough but what I noticed it that the first one had only 4 shoes on offer in this range for women while the latter shop had 11 shoes in the same range. Of those 4, only 1 of them is what I consider a traditional Meindl shoe, the other 3 are soft "Power walker shoes". It does not mean that they are not great shoes, just that they are not the Meindls that will last forever and can be resoled and that get talked about the most.

Also, Meindls come in foot shapes broad, narrow and standard, and shops often don't have all three shapes available.

Last edited:
Meindl comfort fit shoes are brilliant for my camino walking and hiking at home.
Previously i tried other "good" makes but i always had blisters walking in those.
I've returned my Meindl shoes for repairs to stitching (Germany - via uk main suppliers). Takes a while but they repaired them free of charge. My walking friend did the same.

I cannot resist chipping in. Meindl was my first and, except for one aberration, only, make of shoe and boot. I even ordered a pair of closed toe sandals recently, knowing the size and comfort fit. They worked! I wear Meindl shoes boots and sandals all the time, home and away. Then I have a short fat foot, as a dear elderly friend told me long years ago.
My suggestion is: try what they have. If they suit your foot, bonanza!
I could go on about my experience with them when a problem arose while on the CF, but you don't need to know that! Except they replaced the boots!
Good luck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ok, I will let you know how it goes. A large sporting goods company that was headquartered in Sidney, Nebraska, used to sell a limited selection of Meindl hunting boots. The company was bought out by an even larger sporting goods company, and they stopped carrying Meindl. I think that may why the store is located in this small Nebraska town. Someone realized the market for the brand and opened the small store when the line was no longer available.

Yes, I noted the small selection online. I will check them out, but I think it is Phil who is really most interested.

Some of you in the past have mentioned you like Meindl boots. Later this week, Phil and I will visit the only Meindl store in the US in Sidney, NE. Currently I wear a La Sportiva GTX boot for winter Caminos that is made on the same last as my beloved La Sportiva Bushido II trail runners ( I have 4 pairs of new ones in the closet as I am afraid they will stop making this trail runner). My boots fit me well, but will need replacing after my winter 2025 Camino and volunteer work.

Phil wears a pair of Lowe Renegades, also waterproof, for winter Caminos. He needs a new pair and likes his boots. He wants to see if Meindl has anything he might like better.

Those of you who have Meindl boots, what do you like about them. Some pilgrims we've met have had their Meindl boots re-soled at the factory in Europe, but that would not be possible for us. One pilgrim in 2021 walking from Poland told Phil he had 2 pairs. He walked in one pair until they needed resoled, then used the other pair until they needed new soles. He was walking from Poland to Santiago and back.

Let us know if you have experience with this brand. Prices don't look any higher than some of our other boots and shoes. The store is only open Monday- Friday and they close for lunch. Since we'll be passing through on our way to our new home in Missouri, Phil wanted to check them out. They've never been open when we've passed through before.
If you’re perfectly happy with what you’ve been wearing for years, I suggest you stick to them. Always a risk changing even on the basis of the most eulogistic reports. It may turn out good then it may not.

De Colores

Bogong

If you’re perfectly happy with what you’ve been wearing for years, I suggest you stick to them. Always a risk changing even on the basis of the most eulogistic reports. It may turn out . it may not.

De Colores

Bogong
Yes, they don't make exactly what I have been using anymore, so I need to try some other things. I think my boots will go one more winter Camino. Phil's probably will not, but it's good advice since his current boots are still available. Thank you. I am sure he will read this.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I purchased a pair of Meindl boots in 2009 and was really impressed with them at first.
The memory foam was great, they fitted my awkwardly shaped foot and I took to wearing them for all my walks.

About two months later I started to experience pain in my left ankle when wearing them, just in front of my inner ankle bone. No amount of adjustment in the lacing could make them comfortable again.

They were beautifully made boots and had been a substantial investment but, sadly, I decided to sell them on.
I returned to my Salomon nubuck Mountain X boots which had lasted for more than 20 years and which eventually gave out when the composite ‘foot-wrapping’ which held the laces disintegrated.

If Phil is happy with his Renegades, perhaps he might be advised to stick with them 😉

I’m into my third or fourth pair of Meindl Rapid GTX walking shoes. I’ve done 2 full CF and many other shorter Camino’s plus the John Muir trail in US. I’ve never had any blisters or other feet issues. One of their advantages is that they are wide fitting (called Comfort Fit) so as the day goes on there is room for your feet to swell.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I switched to Meindl journey pros a few years ago and have gone through four pairs now. I'd say they're the most comfortable shoe I've found to date with a good wide toe box.

But..
the soles, like any others, only last a thousand kilometres before the heels wear through to the softer layer, then rapidly after that. The cost of having them re-soled by Meindl is more than half the price of the shoes, not worth it in my view as by then, the uppers are getting scruffy and showing wear and tear too. I just get a local shoemaker to re-heel them, I fit new insoles and maybe get another five or six hundred kilometres of local hiking out of them before relegating them to work use. I should probably add, I'm not one for maintenance beyond getting the heavy muck off, no fancy cleaning/ conditioning products or anything for me,

I'll probably stick with them as long as they're making them.. the divil you know, as they say..

Here's a well worn, re-heeled pair I prepared earlier:

20240821_072829.jpg

Hi all,
Just a report back. The Meindl store in Sidney is owned by an former employee of Cabellas who was not a fan of the Bass Pro buyout. Additionally the owners of Meindl did not want to sell through Bass Pro, so the employee who knew the owners of Meindl (family owned for many generations) opened his own small store here with the blessing of Meindl. It is a tiny store on a side street that could easily be overlooked.

The man working (also a former Cabellas employee who was not a fan of the merger) had Phil try on the Comfort-fit Lightweight Hiker. He said it was similar in weight as the Lowe Renegade. We chatted about our Alaska trip and he asked us a lot of Camino questions. I tried on a boot which he happened to have in my size. I absolutely could not stand the ankle feel despite having worn Army boots for many years.

Phil walked around. Tried two different pairs of socks (different thickness) and after chatting for 45 minutes about the Camino and Alaska, decided to buy them. No high pressure sales, etc. The cost was $250 plus tax (US).

Apparently there is now a Meindl trained boot re-soler in the US back east plus someone on the West coast that also does good work.

@Kirkie you will be glad to hear they will start carrying the sandal here next year. I will probably stick with my La Sportiva boot since it has done well on winter Caminos.

Thanks to you all for your input!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,
Just a report back. The Meindl store in Sidney is owned by an former employee of Cabellas who was not a fan of the Bass Pro buyout. Additionally the owners of Meindl did not want to sell through Bass Pro, so the employee who knew the owners of Meindl (family owned for many generations) opened his own small store here with the blessing of Meindl. It is a tiny store on a side street that could easily be overlooked.

The man working (also a former Cabellas employee who was not a fan of the merger) had Phil try on the Comfort-fit Lightweight Hiker. He said it was similar in weight as the Lowe Renegade. We chatted about our Alaska trip and he asked us a lot of Camino questions. I tried on a boot which he happened to have in my size. I absolutely could not stand the ankle feel despite having worn Army boots for many years.

Phil walked around. Tried two different pairs of socks (different thickness) and after chatting for 45 minutes about the Camino and Alaska, decided to buy them. No high pressure sales, etc. The cost was $250 plus tax (US).

Apparently there is now a Meindl trained boot re-soler in the US back east plus someone on the West coast that also does good work.

@Kirkie you will be glad to hear they will start carrying the sandal here next year. I will probably stick with my La Sportiva boot since it has done well on winter Caminos.

Thanks to you all for your input!
So good to hear back from you, for both. You are a great pair and I wish you many more steps in your footwear as you make pilgrimage and serve pilgrims!

Those of you who have Meindl boots, what do you like about them.
Used Meindl full-leather Boots on my first Camino in 2019 and it was the best choice I could have made.

The Pros: built-quality, resolable, waterproofed sewing (made Alpine transverse with it), very comfortable, on many models there are 2 width of toe-box available, very breathable material.

For Winter and muddy conditions I use boots from La Sportiva, too.

Chiming in a bit late here, but I am a faithful Meindl boot lover. Got a pair for my 1st Camino in 2015 and haven't worn anything else but Meindl boots since then. I am a tour guide and wear these boots all year round, as well as on a Camino. They do not slip on ice or snow or wet cobblestones and my feet stay dry.
Oddly enough, I wear the Ohio style which makes me laugh as I am from Ohio.
I do have 2 of their trainer type shoes that I wear for shorter days walking in the city. Got a pair of their hiking shoes, but never warmed up to them. Sticking with the boots. Have found them good for several 1000 km. before it feels like they are too worn to wear.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hi, I have Meindl boots, that I wear for tramping in New Zealand terrain. Good sturdy boots. I have swapped out for very lightweight boots and sandals and creepers socks for my Camino walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
OK. I'm over thinking this............again :) But planning is fun! :rolleyes: For our (Pat and I) next Camino we are doing a Hybrid. The Madrid to Sahagun. Sanabres from Ourense to SDC Then...
I have found that I have years of camino photos stored in google photos. I think these must have been taken when I was still using a camera. I have tried repeatedly to post a photo or two from...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
I'm plan to complete the Camino Frances in a final 2 week stint from Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela. I'll need to wash clothes half way, which will probably be near Sarria. Does anyone know...
Hello, I will be leaving from Finisterra and will not take my hiking poles with me. Do you know if there is a place where I can give them to, so someone else can use it (something similar like...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.