• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lufthansa Airline

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, Has anyone had experience with Lufthansa airlines ? I am planning to take my family to Porto and then to Santiago. From Charlotte,NC taking Lufthansa one stop in Munich,then to Porto. Taking bus from Porto. Not familiar with this airline. Good or Bad?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Has anyone had experience with Lufthansa airlines ? I am planning to take my family to Porto and then to Santiago. From Charlotte,NC taking Lufthansa one stop in Munich,then to Porto. Taking bus from Porto. Not familiar with this airline. Good or Bad?

MUC is my favourite airport for flight connections and LH has a good, no-nonsense service (and they serve Warsteiner). Visit the biergarten in MUC if you have time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes they are fine, certainly on a par with the other big European airlines. No need for any concerns… are you nightstopping Munich?

Lufthansa is a good, quality Airline, I've travelled with them many, many times. They have a pretty good reputation for safety, service and reliability. They may not be Emirates or Air New Zealand but they're still pretty good.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They found and myself and my wife in Delhi whilst the bubonic plague outbreak was in full swing in 1994 got us across town and flew us back to Europe with a serious medical team on board.

We were travelling economy.

Quality airline.

I don’t know who you’re crossing the Atlantic with, but the major European flag-carriers are generally good.

Last edited:
It's the german national airline. Used it to get to Porto from Frankfurt. Acceptable pricing, good connections.

I consider Lufthansa a pretty good airline. Only once did I have a somewhat rough confrontation with a very rude flight attendant. But this is an anecdote, not a statistic....

Regarding German airports, on the other hand, I have just recently had very AWFUL experiences. Both in Berlin and Munich.

In Munich there was a line something like 500 m long (I swear!) inside the airport, because all entrances gates were not working except one. I didn't miss my plane only because by chance, I had arrived there several hours early...

In Berlin something very similar. I risked missing the plane there as well. I asked the attendants on the ground if they could let me through, and they completely ignored me, even though I showed them my ticket. They told me "ask the other passengers, we can't do anything about that". Note that there too I had arrived HOURS early - as suggested by friends - and also the train from Berlin had arrived as usual late.

Maybe I was just unlucky but German infrastructure is notoriously in sharp decline. I work for a German company, and this is the opinion of my many German friends and colleagues, not mine.

Bottom line: no problem with Lufthansa IMHO, but be careful to arrive VERY early at the airport!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you, Everyone for your response. I will try to get a longer layover. We take Lufthansa from USA.
Whilst @JustOneGuy's observations are very valid for getting into the airport in the first instance if you're simply transferring flights it's not an issue because you have already passed through security.

It's getting to and through security where the delays happen.

If you are booked through with Lufthansa (that is, all your flights on one ticket) like all good Airlines they will do everything in their power to ensure that you successfully make all connections. On the one occasion in the last 25 years where they couldn't (flight significantly delayed due to major storm) they put us up in a hotel for the night, meals etc all included.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Flew Frankfurt to Porto and Santiago to Frankfurt with Lufthansa last April and from Santiago to Frankfurt in 2022 and 2023.
Great airline. I use them fairly often.

LH is my regular airline from Seattle to Europe, so I'm through FRA at least once a year. Something to note is that you will go through security AGAIN (at least in FRA) after you arrive in the international terminal, clear EU immigration (line can be long), hike to the other side of the airport to the domestic wing -- that's the security wicket again.

Also, they surprisingly have (or had - this was ~8 years ago) different standards on electronics to be removed from bag for screening: my ebook reader apparently fell into the "laptop" category rather than the small electronics" category. It was removed from my bag without my knowledge (on 3rd pass through), and so didnt get back to me. It went to Lost & Found, who responded to email. However, L&F is located OUTSIDE the security perimeter, so I didn't have enough time on the return connection to go fetch. Ended up paying 35EUR for a DHL shipment to get it home.

I always allow 4 hours for layover so I can enjoy a real brat and beer for lunch.

I used to fly Lufthansa regularly into Munich. Lufthansa is a good airline and quite efficient. Long Haul flights with Lufthansa used to be very good.

The disadvantage of the new Munich airport is down to its size. It is very large and the walk between connecting flights can be very long. The amenities are good restaurants are good (But not a patch on the old Munich airport, which were family run, rather than Corporate.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used to fly Lufthansa regularly into Munich. Lufthansa is a good airline and quite efficient. Long Haul flights with Lufthansa used to be very good.

The disadvantage of the new Munich airport is down to its size. It is very large and the walk between connecting flights can be very long. The amenities are good restaurants are good (But not a patch on the old Munich airport, which were family run, rather than Corporate.
Blmey that’s a long time ago!!!

I fly from the US through Munich somewhat frequently. I really like the airport and Lufthansa is a good airline. I've carried on my 36L backpack with no problem. One thing that has happened to me a few times is they will change the departure gate for my connecting flight and I miss the notification. Stay on top of the gate # and be sure you're at the correct one when you arrive there. Allow two hours for the connection. (I am flying though there on Thursday with just one hour, and I'm nervous!) Check the arrival and departure terminals to be sure you know where you need to go. They will hopefully be the same! You do need to go through passport control on arrival to Munich, so allow at least 20-30 minutes for that in your planning. It typically goes pretty fast. Ask for help if you need it. I have found people to be generous and most workers will speak English. It is a big airport, and maybe a bit scary on your first time through, but it is run efficiently.

Lufthansa is the German national airlines and just as good as any other. They belong to the same frequent flier program as United, if that is important. AND, they offer you free chocolate mini bars every flight!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hi there.
I took Lufthansa airlines in 2022 from Canada when I went for my Camino and they were really great. Service was the best I experienced, Food was hot and tasty and the wine was delicious.👍👍

I do not like them at all. My overseas flight to Frankfurt to get to the via Podiensis was the worst I have experienced. Typically my overseas flights have been comfortable, this was like the most basic flights in the US in terms of space.

Good airline.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have used Lufthansa on numerous occasions from London Heathrow or London City for a short connecting long haul flight to a German hub airport. The problems is the short connecting flights are unreliable running late or even cancelled. The last time I used them the flight from London City was cancelled as the the inbound flight landed at Stansted and many people missed their long haul flights to destinations such as Singapore/Tokyo as a result. I experienced this situation too many times and now no longer use Lufthansa.

Blmey that’s a long time ago!!!
I think I first flew into the old Airport in 1984. When they closed the old airport. The airport authorities closed the Autobahn in one direction and drove the Airport vehicles from the old to the new airport. It was quite strange watching a fleet of powered steps driving at 20KM/Hour down a road that had an unlimited speed limit at that time.

Lufthansa is the German national airlines and just as good as any other. They belong to the same frequent flier program as United, if that is important. AND, they offer you free chocolate mini bars every flight!
I used to be a frequent flyer from Birmingham UK to Munich/Nuremburg and the stewards used to give me extra chocolate for my daughters when I mentioned how my kids used to way lay me for my travel bag and all the goodies i accumulated on my travels.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think I first flew into the old Airport in 1984. When they closed the old airport. The airport authorities closed the Autobahn in one direction and drove the Airport vehicles from the old to the new airport. It was quite strange watching a fleet of powered steps driving at 20KM/Hour down a road that had an unlimited speed limit at that time.
I can imagine. I used to fly to MUC regularly for work from around 1994 when the new airport had just opened. I have been to the site of the old airport. There is nothing there but a memorial to Manchester United Football Club, many of whose players perished there in an aircraft crash in 1958.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon)...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
I hope I am posting this in the right subject section. My annual multi-trip travel insurance has a limit on the duration of any one trip of 45 days. Any claim must include evidence of departure...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hola todos! I’m trying to find the best way to get from Leon to Sarria where I will start my walk. For context, when I decided to stay in Leon for a few days before my walk I saw that there were...
Hope I am posting at the right place -- five of us will complete the Camino and plan to rent a car, drive to Tui, then drop off the car there, and walk aross the bridge to Vanlensa and pick up a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back