• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lucca to Siena February

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I believe next year is a holy year in Italy and accommodation could potentially be an issue in some places. We have switched our plans to San Salvador & Primitivo and put Lucca to Rome off for a year.

You are veteran hikers, so as long as you have appropriate gear for Winter, you'll be fine. The trails from Lucca to Siena will most likely be wet and that Tuscan mud can be sticky, but the route is generally very visually rewarding, even in the heaviest rain (some of which I encountered on my ramble from Lucca to Rome in late April to mid-May this year). I booked ahead only one or two days and occasionally on the same day. San Miniato had a limited number of rooms for pilgrims due to a conference that occurred on the same day I passed through and San Gimignano was overrun by tour bus groups, but I found a room right on the main square (with two! gelato shops nearby). No other housing issues, however, I can't say if all the ostelli will be open in February.
The VF book by Sandy Brown, the list of accommodations from the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome and Booking.com are good sources, even with some overlap.
I encountered a few areas where there were flood warnings and creeks to be crossed on rocks or logs. Only near Colle di Val d'Elsa (a beautiful area between San Gimignano and Abbadia a Isola) was the river running too high to make a safe crossing on the rocks, so I walked along a busy boulevard and a short stretch of highway to bypass that section of the trail. Just keep an eye on a weather app to see if there is flooding along your daily route.
Buen Camino.

You are veteran hikers, so as long as you have appropriate gear for Winter, you'll be fine. The trails from Lucca to Siena will most likely be wet and that Tuscan mud can be sticky, but the route is generally very visually rewarding, even in the heaviest rain (some of which I encountered on my ramble from Lucca to Rome in late April to mid-May this year). I booked ahead only one or two days and occasionally on the same day. San Miniato had a limited number of rooms for pilgrims due to a conference that occurred on the same day I passed through and San Gimignano was overrun by tour bus groups, but I found a room right on the main square (with two! gelato shops nearby). No other housing issues, however, I can't say if all the ostelli will be open in February.
The VF book by Sandy Brown, the list of accommodations from the Confraternity of Pilgrims to Rome and Booking.com are good sources, even with some overlap.
I encountered a few areas where there were flood warnings and creeks to be crossed on rocks or logs. Only near Colle di Val d'Elsa (a beautiful area between San Gimignano and Abbadia a Isola) was the river running too high to make a safe crossing on the rocks, so I walked along a busy boulevard and a short stretch of highway to bypass that section of the trail. Just keep an eye on a weather app to see if there is flooding along your daily route.
Buen Camino.
Good advice. We'll have our Altus ponchos with winter gear. I am trying to keep the stages short for Phil who has struggled the last two Caminos and ended up shipping his pack. I don't think that is an option in winter in Italy, but we can always get a taxi if he can't go the distance.

I am hoping the cool winter weather will give us both the strength we need both in Italy and Spain. I found it much easier to walk last winter even though it rained daily. I am sensitive to heat.

Most read last week in this forum

Phil and I pulled the trigger on our trips to Italy and Spain today. Will do some sightseeing and then walk Lucca to Siena as a sampler in mid February. Then to Spain to volunteer at albergues...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.