Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luarca - for a break on the Norte?

timr

Time of past OR future Camino
Several and counting...
This article is in today's Guardian. It paints an attractive picture...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This article is in today's Guardian. It paints an attractive picture...

So, your next trip? 😈
Forgive the beginning with So. I do not like it, but it is SO 21st Century!
I recently had a week's holiday a little down from the coast, in El Balcon de los Oscos, Asturias.Your link is along familiar territory.
IMG_6237.png

So, your next trip? 😈
Forgive the beginning with So. I do not like it, but it is SO 21st Century!
I recently had a week's holiday a little down from the coast, in El Balcon de los Oscos, Asturias.Your link is along familiar territory.
View attachment 175927
Yes I walked along the Norte a long time ago now. Didn't really do it for me somehow, but the scenery and the towns were very nice! And it reminded me of west Cork. With sun!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Luarca is a beautiful place. Many hours spent there watching the otters play in the harbour whilst sipping a cold beer (me not the otters). And you have that amazing graveyard, complete with the last resting place of the chap who discovered DNA. A beautiful part of the world.

I also love Luarca. The views, the harbor, the fish market, the cemetery. It is a very special place. If anyone is looking for a splurge place, I’d recommend the Hotel Villa Argentina.

It’s located in one of those “palacios de los indianos” - the homes built by people who emigrated and made it rich in the Americas and then came back to build their home. Asturias has an abundance of these places. And Luarca has seven!

p.s. The fish market is totally automated - no shouting, just people clicking and watching as the prices fluctuate on the board. I had no idea what was going on but it was great fun to watch!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I remember this town and it is really lovely. I think Luarca was were a found a little family owned pizza place that was called New York Pizza or something like that. Of course being from New York I had to go in and check out what the slices looked like. They looked like they could be pretty good so I ate there. Maybe not up to the best pizza in the Bronx but pretty damn good! I am a massive snob about pizza as so many real New Yorkers are.

Walking Norte in 2015 slept in Luarca, happy days. Last year walked from OVD, Asturias airport and was very happy to sleep there again,

I loved Luarca when I stopped there on the Norte in 2014. Raucous Sunday lunch with the high poured cider and fish soup followed by barnacles followed by tuna. Yum.

As a slightly obsessive fan of Spain's quirkier monomaniacal museums, I was very disappointed that the Museo del Calamar Gigante was closed at the time (flooded, appropriately), but apparently it's now reopened. So I suppose I'll have to walk that way again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I remember this town and it is really lovely. I think Luarca was were a found a little family owned pizza place that was called New York Pizza or something like that. Of course being from New York I had to go in and check out what the slices looked like. They looked like they could be pretty good so I ate there. Maybe not up to the best pizza in the Bronx but pretty damn good! I am a massive snob about pizza as so many real New Yorkers are.
Yes, the pizza there was pretty good. I will be going back next month!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ok, let us in on the secret. I can’t find it with google.
Remember L. I said I think 🤔 and it was a tiny little place. 😆.
My memory ain’t what it used to be.
I can remember the names of the brothers who owned the pizza 🍕 place when I went to P..S 86 but I couldn’t tell you the name of an albergue I slept in 2 nights earlier!

Don't know about the pizza, but the Barometro on the quay was one of the better seafood restaurants I have encountered. Just behind the town church of Santa Eulalia, there was once a very nice jazz bar, but I fear that it did not survive the pandemic.

On the way in, one can pass by the Moorish cemetery in Barcia, built for the civil war dead of Franco's Moorish Legion, as they could not be buried in the same ground as the Nationalist Christian soldiers.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17

Most read last week in this forum

After a peaceful night at the beautiful Blai Blai Hostel in Zarautz, we were all awakened at 5:00am by a young man repacking his huge pack, in the middle of the floor, with his bunk light on...
I’m fairly new to this forum and it has been VERY helpful preparing me and answering a multitude of questions prior to my 1st Camino. Currently, I have just completed Day 14 of the Norte which...
This is just a shot in the dark but if anyone starting on the Del Norte finds a New Zealand passport lost today (Saturday 14th September between Hendaye and Sebastian, please PM message me and...
I saw that someone mentioned recently having walked from Santander to Liencres on a coastal route. I am here in Santander and would like to take that route. I’m brand new to the Camino and to...
At CSJ Alberque San Martin de Miraz. If yours, contact hospitaleros on 0034-982-830700 with your name and date if visit (from pilgrim passport) and we will arrange return.
I am currently walking the Camino del Norte and seem to have dropped a small brown sunglass case with sunglass clip inside. Somewhere between Castro-Urdiales and Laredo, by way of Liendo. It is in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.