• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Lowered expectations (plantar plate injury) but still optimistic

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
On another thread, @peregrina2000 asked me about my plans for 2025, but I thought I would start a new thread rather than hijack that one.

Camino 2024 involved the Via Serrana from Gibraltar to Sevilla, with @peregrina2000. Then we moved on to the Invierno where we planned some separate stages but would walk into Santiago together. I didn't write much about it, but my right foot began to complain, to the point where I was really not enjoying the day of walking, and I knew I couldn't finish the route on foot. Combined with some other reasons, I decided to end my Camino early, and I went home from Monforte de Lemos. I was happy with my decision.

Fast forward to now... It seems that I have a plantar plate injury to my foot, that has not been fully resolved. I had never heard of it before, but it is fairly common. The giveaway characteristic at a somewhat advanced stage is that the second toe starts to cross over the big toe. I took a few months off, walking as little as possible, but now I'm walking 5-8 km/day, still with mild discomfort. I am consulting with podiatrists, but that is still a work-in-progress.

I'm cautiously optimistic that I can walk something in 2025, but I have lowered my expectations to a maximum 15 km/day at slow speed, and likely no more than 250 km in total. So, I am looking carefully at several routes to find one that meets my limitations. I just want to get out there walking with pleasure for the day, heading toward Santiago. I want to carry my own pack because I love to be self-sufficient and have everything with me, so I will be ruthless in reducing weight. I will even leave my immersion/coil heater and mug at home!

Laurie will laugh, but I am looking at the Invierno again, only from A Rua! I walked the Invierno in 2022 and then incompletely in 2024, and enjoyed it both times, but neither year was I ecstatically enthusiastic. However, the Invierno is now attractive to me because it feels familiar, given my uncertain ability. The transportation infrastructure is good, in case I need it. I would be able to arrive in Santiago, which I would like to do since I have missed it in 2023 and 2024. I would likely choose to walk in and around Semana Santa, with careful planning for those days.

I don't care about the "best route" or most scenic, interesting, etc. I just want to be out there. If I can't walk 15 km/day, at least I want to be able to walk 5-10 km in my daily life!

I have no particular questions, but thought others might have similar quandaries.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On the Ingles earlier this year. I met a few people who were walking very short sections because of serious health problems.. Two of them were walking planned 10k days, one solo after treatment for cancer. Another was walking even shorter sections, supported by friends in a vehicle. It was encouraging to hear their stories.
I had been concerned about a grumbling hip so planned short days starting with two 10k stages from A Coruña. Because of this I had to stay in hotels which I enjoyed less than being in an albergue. But on the path I smelled every rose and looked thoroughly at every church and interesting building.
It will be good to hear about your walk.

What you're describing will come to us all, if it hasn't already. Plantation plate tears, bad knees or hips or ankles, or just slowing down so those 30+km days or 20km days or 10km days are no longer possible.

A Rua sounds like a great place to start - easy to get to, and a chance to walk at a pace that takes the inevitable changes of age into account.

Buen pain-free camino, peregrina!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I love the title 'lowered expectations but still optimistic'. It's exactly how I feel at the moment.
As some of you will know back in April I broke my ankle whilst on Camino. (Via Imperii, here in Germany).
I was initially hoping to be walking (short distances) again after three or four months, but as I wasn't even allowed to put my foot on the ground for the first six weeks, and no weight for eight, my muscles etc naturally atrophied. When I complained to my surgeon and physio in July that I wasn't progressing as fast as I would like they both laughed and told me to be patient, saying that realistically I was looking at six to nine months.
Well, I'm up to five to ten kilometers a day now, I've twice managed 12.
However if I do anything more than 8k's then the next day has to be short. So my goal of walking at least the last 35km of the section I started on in April this week (last week of August) has gone out the window.
Transport options in this area are few and far between, as is accommodation. I could wildcamp but that means carrying appx. two more kgs of gear, 2.5 if I take cooking Gear. Water would also be a potential issue on one stretch, despite my filter. Suboptimal.

In some ways it's probably a blessing in disguise because it's over 30 degrees again for the next few days. I'm going to keep (gently!) trying to build my mileage and maybe I'll be able to take off in a month's time. (I need to be able to do two consecutive 15 /16 kilometer days as a minimum)

So I too have lowered expectations - but I'm definitely optimistic!

From one slowing-down-pilgrim to another — I hear you. Joints, muscles, tendons, all those things that hold us together seem to start conspiring against us when we hit our mid 70s! Like you, I very much want to keep walking on the Camino and I’m also finding it challenging. I think you’ve found the sweet spot between a realistic acceptance of our limitations and a strong desire to push to keep our bodies moving. A work in progress, as you say, but we can do it.

Laurie will laugh, but I am looking at the Invierno again, only from A Rua! I walked the Invierno in 2022 and then incompletely in 2024, and enjoyed it both times, but neither year was I ecstatically enthusiastic

You know I love the Invierno (though I tried to keep my enthusiasm in check when we were there because I know you were somewhat ambivalent), and I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but I don’t think it’s the best route to make it easy to walk 10-15 km. A Rúa to Soldón and Rodeiro to Lalín are both longer and don’t have any obvious way to shorten. Wouldn’t the Francés or the Portugués be a better option? Maybe it would mean not being able to walk during Semana Santa, but it would surely be much easier to keep your day to 10-15 km.

I know you’ve thought of all of this, so I’m wondering what you’re thinking.

It’s great to feel the camaraderie from those who are in our demographic — our very own old people on the camino support group.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I don’t think it’s the best route to make it easy to walk 10-15 km.
You are right that the Invierno is not really possible in the 10-15 km range. There are several stages that would be more than 15 km, but less than 20 (well, less than 21).

(A Rua to Soldon can be broken up with the Montefurado shuttle. From Rodeiro to Lalin one can do the tedious 16 km roadside walk or, better, the Monbus.)

The Invierno is my "optimistic" scenario. I don't mind some motorized assistance for a couple of key stages, but I don't want to be hopping on and off a bus more than once a week.

I have lowered my expectations to a maximum 15 km/day
Getting old is not for sissies. We've just got to hang in there and keep going as best we can. Covid knocked me sideways - not covid itself thank goodness. I lost all my good health in those 2 years through inactivity, creeping arthritis, and total loss of confidence. It was the worst 2 years of my life.

But we can do this. And the camino is the best place to do it. Where else is there the infrastructure and the support to just keep on going? To walk 15kms a day, or 10kms a day?

I've learnt how to manage the arthritis in my spine, so I can confidently walk again. It's been hard work, still is, but I'm getting there.

And I have friends to help me - camino buddies from caminos I've walked previously in the last 12 years. 7 of us are meeting up again in Oviedo on Friday to walk the Primitivo. We are going to take 19 days to walk to Santiago. SO looking forward to it, as I know I can do this.

We can all do it if we really try and are not afraid to ask for help when we need it.

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
I'm cautiously optimistic that I can walk something in 2025, but I have lowered my expectations to a maximum 15 km/day at slow speed, and likely no more than 250 km in total.
I don't care about the "best route" or most scenic, interesting, etc. I just want to be out there. If I can't walk 15 km/day, at least I want to be able to walk 5-10 km in my daily life!
Clare, recognizing your current limitations (hopefully temporary) and adjusting your walk to accommodate current abilities is right on! More power to you!
From one slowing-down-pilgrim to another — I hear you. Joints, muscles, tendons, all those things that hold us together seem to start conspiring against us when we hit our mid 70s!
OMG, Laurie, I laughed out loud! Lucky you, mid 70’s. At these ages, a couple of years makes a big difference. In spite of walking for a range of 8-12 km, every day, in heat & humidity, I have experienced a significant decline in stamina, endurance and speed from age 68 to 70. This is a big bummer. The spirit is eagerly willing (and then some), but the bones feet, knees, hips, spine have other ideas.
So I too have lowered expectations - but I'm definitely optimistic!

So we are all finding how best we can individually keep walking our longed for and beloved caminos with all the spunk we can muster!
I wish all of us (the walking wounded) many Buen Caminos and full life to come! Aymarah

I too am changing my expectations. I’ve had two failed caminos in 2019 & 2022 due to body malfunction and I thought that if a similar fate befell me this year on the Catalan/Aragones then my camino days would be over, which would be devastating. But my body behaved (with a little help from a steroid shot in my knee) and so now I can dream of camino years to come. But no more 4-6 week treks - three weeks seem just about right these days.
Good luck Clare with your deliberations. I’m thinking of walking from Cadiz to Mérida next year, as I’ve only joined the VdlP from the Mozárabe previously.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum