• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lourdes reopens immersion baths for first time since 2020

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Pilgrims visiting the Lourdes sanctuary can now have a full immersion bath again. The baths were closed during Covid and have just been reopened. A bracing experience! :cool:

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Oh my!

I didn’t know immersion baths were a part of the pilgrimage.

Thanks for posting this article.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is a wonderful, scary, and very sacramental experience.
I walked from home in Wales to very near SJPDP in two stages. 20km short of SJPDP I had a fall and a prolapsed spinal disc which put an end to my plans to carry on straight away to Santiago. After a few days of exceptionally generous care in Beilari I was at least able to hobble with a long wooden staff gifted to me by Joseph. I decided to take the opportunity to visit Lourdes before my flight back to the UK. My distinctly Protestant and scientific background combined with reports of the junk sellers in the streets had made me inclined to suspicion and a slight cynical hostility towards the place's reputation. Which had to compete with my fascination with pilgrimage centres of all traditions. In the end I was profoundly moved by the prayerful atmosphere within the sanctuary itself and joined the queues for the baths. A remarkable experience with an extraordinary choreography to preserve modesty! I'm not going to claim any miracle cure but I did leave feeling far more positive both in body and spirit. An unplanned experience which I value greatly.

I visited the sanctuary earlier this year, the evening before I started walking. Cynic that I am, I was surprised at feeling quite moved by the candlelight procession and the very peaceful atmosphere, despite the crowds.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back