• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for walking partner for my *first* leg from Leon to Hospital de Orbigo on Sept. 27

NinaWalks

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
I'm starting the camino on sept. 27 in Leon. I'm a bit apprehensive to start the journey alone. Are any other ladies going to be starting then also and want to walk that first leg? OR, are there so many pilgrims that I'll naturally meet someone? I don't want a continual partner, just someone to be a buddy for the start and then we can part ways (or not). I just need to get my sea legs, so to speak and would like the confidence of having someone along that first section.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
are there so many pilgrims that I'll naturally meet someone?
Yes! In late September there will be lots of pilgrims in Leon.

All you need to do is see another person walking with a backpack, smile and say hello, mention that this is your first day, and see what conversation develops. 90% of pilgrims will be happy to exchange a few pleasantries, but don't force it. If the first person doesn't have much to say, the next one probably will.

When you get to a place where you are uncertain where to go, stop and look around, take a breath, and another pilgrim will soon be in sight.

Consider adding your name to our September calendar thread, where you can see many people who will have started earlier in September further east. They will be coming through Leon eventually.

Buen Camino!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I'm starting the camino on sept. 27 in Leon. I'm a bit apprehensive to start the journey alone. Are any other ladies going to be starting then also and want to walk that first leg? OR, are there so many pilgrims that I'll naturally meet someone? I don't want a continual partner, just someone to be a buddy for the start and then we can part ways (or not). I just need to get my sea legs, so to speak and would like the confidence of having someone along that first section.
Trecile has given great advice. I would just add that pilgrims tend to leave early, often before dawn at that time of year. If you're staying in a hotel you might want a very early breakfast. Check you know where to join the Camino the night before, maybe follow it a little bit just so you'll feel more confident when you set off. It is well marked through Leon but will be a lot easier to follow once you're out of town. You will meet others and it is easier than you think. Buen Camino

On my first Camino i met and started walking with a French female Pilgrim about 800metres after i started !
I recommend walking the Mazerife variant it avoids following the main highway !
Link to Gronze! (In Spanish Google Chrome translates to English)

I stayed here it was great and the host was a great guy onsite restaurant; bungalows were very modern and spotless!

This is the next stage to Astorga

I stayed here authentic old mill Mercedes was a wonderful host and good communal meal
Buen Camino
Woody

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Hello @NinaWalks
Consider the ALSA M1 bus from Leon to La Virgen del Camino, to avoid an uninspiring 6km walk exiting Leon. Refer: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/bus-to-la-virgen-del-camino.86410/

The Basílica de la Virgen del Camino provides a good vantage point to spot and team up with fellow meandering pilgrims.
Note: I have walked and taken the 6km bus ride on a number of occasions and would be more inclined to take the bus if departing before sunrise. Take your time to read the directions posted across the road from the Basillica (the route can be confusing). The León - Villar de Mazarife https://www.gronze.com/etapa/leon/villar-mazarife route is recommended.

See comments from the wisepilgrim guide https://www.caminoapp.com/Camino-Frances

La Virgen del Camino
La Virgen del Camino is named for the miraculous sighting of the Virgen by a local shepherd. His vision has been translated into sculptures several times by artists. One is here in the modern looking church, and another is in the León Cathedral (in the Chapel where the daily mass is held).
The sculptures are stunning and bear a resemblance to La Piedad by Michelangelo, with the notable exception that Jesus is facing downwards.

SPLIT: Scenic Route or Road Route
When you get to the Basilica de la Virgen del Camino you will cross the busy road and continue on a small access road. In 300m you are presented with the choice between two routes. The painting of yellow arrows here is confusing, and there is zero official signage to indicate your options. Distances are indicated from La Virgen del Camino to Puente de Órbigo where they converge.

‌The SCENIC ROUTE - 27 KM
This variation is called the Scenic Route, and it adds < 3km to your journey. It is considerably more pleasant and there are now plenty of services and albergues along the way. To follow this route turn left onto a dirt track.

‌The ROAD ROUTE - 24.6 KM
The official camino route is often called the Road Route due to its proximity to the road. It is the shorter of the two and offers little to no peace from the traffic. To take this route continue straight.

I think you will get your sea legs pretty quickly and will find people to talk to along the Way. I was in Hospital de Orbigo last night and stayed at Albergue San Miguel, which is wonderful. I had a nice dinner
( hamburger) at Restaurant Jabel and was sitting by myself when another female pilgrim from Italy of Uruguayan descent asked if she could sit with me. We had a lovely time and conversation. Put yourself out there and you will do just great!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I recommend walking if the aim is to meet with other people. Set off early, check the way out the night before, keep your eyes open for arrows and symbols. You often hear the tapping of walking poles, a dead giveaway of a pilgrim.

Thank you, everyone for the encouragement and replies and suggestions. I'm definitely interested in that detour off the highway and also maybe the bus to La Virgin del Camino (thanks for that). The first day seems daunting at 20 miles and so shaving off with the bus is a good option for me. The detour makes me nervous--is it still well marked? It still spits you out at Hospital de Orbigo? Sorry-I have a guidebook, but I would love to hear any first hand suggestions for wayfinding the detour (this was why I posted wanting someone to walk with).

I recommend walking if the aim is to meet with other people. Set off early, check the way out the night before, keep your eyes open for arrows and symbols. You often hear the tapping of walking poles, a dead giveaway of a pilgrim.
Thanks for the tips!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you want to walk from León without taking the bus, I can recommend an albergue on the alternative route in Oncina de la Valdoncina - only 11 km from León. It's Albergue El Pajar de Oncina, and the hospitalera there is wonderful, and you should feel quite comfortable with her.

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful advice and positive thoughts! My plan now is to leave my place in Leon, take the bus to La Virgin de Camino, and take the alternative scenic route and bypass the highway. I'm hoping to not stop in Mazarife and be able to push on to Hospital de Orbigo. That would be about a six-seven hour walking day, I think, right? (chime in, is this feasible?). Again, thanks to everyone who chimed in. It's so refreshing to have all the info and positivity.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong group. Feel free to move my post. I have walked 7 caminos, always in Spain (well, max 50k in France), the country I love. At the end of october/start of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back