• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Lock Laces" (Elastic No Tie Shoelaces)

WldWil

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJPDP - Halfway
2016 Fromista - The other half
Anyone here try out LOCK LACES (Elastic No Tie Shoelaces)?

They look cool
They stay tied
Reasonable priced
They customize the look of your foot wear a bit to avoid confusion
Here is a link to show them http://goo.gl/vphx3f

But, how do they perform? Reviews are mostly positive, but how many have been tested on the Camino?

I am getting to gear tweaking with 8 months to go and waiting another 50+ days for spring to break.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Similar laces are on my Keen sandals and they work well. Walked part of the way in them. I don't think they offer as much support as regular laces tho. I personalized my Merrills by having two different color of shoelaces. One was red and the other, a red check. The idea was to keep someone from accidentally grabbing the wrong Merrills from a shelf of them.

Salomon have a non-elastic speed lace system that appears to work quite well on shoes. I think they might present difficulties for boots if you needed to do a segmented or knotted segmented lacing pattern, or for lock lacing. For a description of these techniques and why you might use them, see Ian's Shoelace Site.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Like @dougfitz said plus it depends very much on which type of shoes/boots you want to use them. I personally don't see any advantage using them as I prefer to 'custom lace' my shoes depending on the day / terrain ahead. As for danger of shoe confusion: I always tie the laces of my two shoes together before shelving them in an albergue, few people do that, so that may warn somebody off that they are about to grab the wrong pair. Buen Camino! SY

Like @dougfitz said plus it depends very much on which type of shoes/boots you want to use them. I personally don't see any advantage using them as I prefer to 'custom lace' my shoes depending on the day / terrain ahead. As for danger of shoe confusion: I always tie the laces of my two shoes together before shelving them in an albergue, few people do that, so that may warn somebody off that they are about to grab the wrong pair. Buen Camino! SY

More people will be doing it now, @SYates ! Great idea!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will be wearing Merrell Men's Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoes. Of course. .. now I will be researching shoe lacing as well. .. lol

I will be wearing Merrell Men's Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoes. Of course. .. now I will be researching shoe lacing as well. .. lol
Have a look at these. I use the surgeons knot on my boots, I leave the lower laces loose so as not to constrict my toes and use the knot further up to secure the foot comfortably in the boot, it also helps to keep the laces tied which can be a problem with laces made from modern material. It has worked so far for me.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

Merrill Moab Ventilators are one of the most popular hiking shoes, both on the Camino and elsewhere, and thus are particularly susceptible to being picked up by mistake in the rush out of an albergue in the morning. Using some method to individualize them, whether by using different colored laces, tying them together, clipping them together with S-biners, or some other method is probably a good idea.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
I'm looking to buy a sleeping bag for my next Camino, but since I'm only 1.5m tall (5 feet), I’d prefer not to go with a standard-sized one. I don't want to feel like I’m swimming in it, and the...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.