• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino threads

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
Here I am giving some personal thoughts, not a summary of forum rules or moderation policies.

Some threads have the prefix "LIVE from the Camino." This suggests a thread that is focused on regular updates by the OP, as they move along their journey. Suggestions and questions from other members are great, as is some to-ing and fro-ing in the conversation among members. However, when the sidebar conversations start to dominate the thread, the general reader will find it difficult to follow the OP's experience, and even the OP may find it hard to maintain the thread continuity.

When you post on a LIVE thread, please think about the purpose of that thread. A pilgrim is updating us on their journey and thoughts, probably doing it from a phone while tired, hungry, and very engaged in their experience.

To paraphrase @Kathar1na slightly (from another thread):

Pay attention to what the OP writes and don't focus on what you want to write about/for yourself.

All of us sometimes ask a question or make a comment that can become a tangent to the topic. The fluidity of forum threads is something most of us enjoy, most of the time, so I wouldn't want to see a strict requirement to stay on a narrowly-defined topic. However, I'd encourage members to consider opening a new thread, or find a different one on the topic, rather latching onto a LIVE thread.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Really appreciate your message. I so enjoy the « live » threads but sometimes they can become hard to follow. And you are so spot on when you say pilgrims are « probably doing it from a phone while tired, hungry, and very engaged in their experience. ». Thank you 🙏😊

I always do my Live threads from my phone at the very end of the day while tired and laying in bed. Sometimes by the time I write what I want to say, and then look for a few favorite pictures from the day to share that goes along with it (out of hundreds I've taken), it can often be 11:00 pm or later.
That said, I most likely have been an occasional offender on Live threads and will remember that less is more if not directly related to the OP's words.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.