• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Last cross entering Santiago

JackyG

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Way September 2017.
French Way May 2018.
Planning some sort of camino for Sep 2019..
Hi all, wasn’t sure where to put this question, I’m currently in Muxia and traveling back to Santiago today and flying home tomorrow. I have something that I need to leave for someone at a pilgrim spot that can’t be left in Muxia.. I’m trying to find the name and or location of the last cross as you enter Santiago on the French route, I’m sure people know the one I mean? You can see the city and it’s at the top of a long hill on a gentle slope.. We walked into Santiago from Porto so didn’t pass it on the way in. I want to walk back to it today really badly, pretty sure it’s no more than 5km back?.. hoping someone can help! Thanks, Jacky :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Could be Monte do Gozo?
It’s not that no but thanks :) it’s a little (but only a little) further in from that, and is just a big stone cross, but *tons* of pilgrim offerings at it.. I’m sure I’ve a photo from 2018 even but can’t seem to find anywhere, I know I haven’t imagined it!.. 😂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It’s not that no but thanks :) it’s a little (but only a little) further in from that, and is just a big stone cross, but *tons* of pilgrim offerings at it.. I’m sure I’ve a photo from 2018 even but can’t seem to find anywhere, I know I haven’t imagined it!.. 😂
Maybe you can take the bus from Santiago to Monte de Gozo and walk back into Santiago. I bet a taxi probably would not be that expensive either.

I think I know the one you mean, however I can't remember where or how far from Santiago it is! I think its to the right of the path as you walk and the track is next (possible raised) to a road. Sorry, probably not much help but may jog someone else's memory.

I think I know the one you mean, however I can't remember where or how far from Santiago it is! I think its to the right of the path as you walk and the track is next (possible raised) to a road. Sorry, probably not much help but may jog someone else's memory.
Yes that’s the one for sure :) I couldn’t figure it out at all yesterday so ended up leaving what I needed to in the pilgrims garden at the office in Santiago, would’ve preferred the cross but this was good too. Thanks so much for your reply, this will still bother me now though until I remember where it is or see a photo! 😄

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes that’s the one for sure :) I couldn’t figure it out at all yesterday so ended up leaving what I needed to in the pilgrims garden at the office in Santiago, would’ve preferred the cross but this was good too. Thanks so much for your reply, this will still bother me now though until I remember where it is or see a photo! 😄
I remember it because the girl I was walking with had her photo taken next to it, it was the same photo that her Grandad had shown her of him on his Camino which inspired her to walk the Camino!

Did you by chance mean this one?
Yeah, not a cross, and also about 10k out of Santiago, but "right of the path next to a highway" and also quite famous...
(its where you pass the airport)
1721201481710.png

Yeah, not a cross, and also about 10k out of Santiago, but "right of the path next to a highway" and also quite famous...
View attachment 174791
Yes that is the one I was thinking of! Didn't even remember it wasn't actually a cross!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lady came in from the Porto side, think it's a different route ? Never done that myself so not sure

Yes, but the cross the OP said was on the French route, presumably remembered from when they walked it previously.
ta dave, must be it then. I was on google looking and thinking there was another in the south :)

View attachment 174791
I was thinking of that, too, but OP said that what she was thinking of was a little "further in" (which I understood to mean closer to Santiago) than Monte de Gozo, and this is much further out. Before even Lavacolla, I believe, because I think I passed it one year ago today on my way to Lavacolla.

I was thinking of that, too, but OP said that what she was thinking of was a little "further in" (which I understood to mean closer to Santiago) than Monte de Gozo, and this is much further out. Before even Lavacolla, I believe, because I think I passed it one year ago today on my way to Lavacolla.
You are exactly right, it is even before Lavacolla. But then she said something about it being "typical" to leave something there and i can't think of another place on the Frances except for the Santiago sign when you enter the city.
Let's see if th OP will clear things up.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Stopped in at a Starbucks in Vancouver today. I don’t care for Starbucks but was with a friend who likes it. A latte or similar at Starbucks costs around €4. That’s a typical price for any coffee...
Hi everyone, I leave for my Camino in a few short weeks and am trying to figure out what the washing machine situation is. I will be traveling on the CP from Porto and hoping to take the coastal...
The affect of a church on each of us is highly subjective and possibly based on many considerations, including; location, architecture, a particular statue, perhaps a memory inspired by an art...
76 year old male looking to do another Camino around April 2025. Completed CF from SJPP in 2022 and Portuguese from Porto earlier this year. I’ve looked at del Norte, but wanted to keep days...
Dear Forum Members, I’m reaching out to invite those planning to walk the Camino de Santiago to participate in a research study aimed at exploring the effects of the Camino pilgrimage on health...
A friend just told me about a Netflix series called Gangs of Galicia, and I started watching. Haven’t got the nuances of the plot yet, but so far there are scenes in Combarro, Arousa and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.