• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Labruge to Coastal Route

smm9bv

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese starting in Porto
I'm planning my first couple of days on the Camino. First day, Porto -> Labruge; Second day, Labruge - > somewhere on the coastal route. It seems that there are a few ways to cross over if anyone has advice on this as well as which town/village to stop through for that second day. Thank you and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To stay in Labruge your first night, I would follow the coastal route up to that spot. From the cathedral, follow the Douro River to the coast and then just continue north. As for the second day, I’d make my destination Povoa de Varzim. If you haven’t already found Gronze.com, it might be a helpful resource for you. Bom Caminho!

To stay in Labruge your first night, I would follow the coastal route up to that spot. From the cathedral, follow the Douro River to the coast and then just continue north
You are describing the Litoral route which follows the river and then the coast.
The official route of the Coastal route follows the Central route from the Cathedral, then splits off and eventually joins the Litoral at Vila do Conde.

Here's the map from the Wise Pilgrim app:

1000033013.jpg

The dotted blue line is the Senda Litoral, the green dots are the Central route, and the red fits are the Coastal route.

More info from the Wise Pilgrim online guide:

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
You are describing the Litoral route which follows the river and then the coast.
The official route of the Coastal route follows the Central route from the Cathedral, then splits off and eventually joins the Litoral at Vila do Conde.

Here's the map from the Wise Pilgrim app:

View attachment 176231

The dotted blue line is the Senda Litoral, the green dots are the Central route, and the red fits are the Coastal route.

More info from the Wise Pilgrim online guide:

hi there! Thanks for your reply and I realized I made a huge typo in my post. I meant to say that on my second day I want to transition to the CENTRAL route and there seems to be a few different paths to do so, starting at Vila do Conde.

I'm planning my first couple of days on the Camino. First day, Porto -> Labruge; Second day, Labruge - > somewhere on the coastal route. It seems that there are a few ways to cross over if anyone has advice on this as well as which town/village to stop through for that second day. Thank you and Buen Camino!
I realized I made a big typo in my post. I wish to transition to the central route on my second day from Labruge if anyone has advice on where to cross over. Thanks!

I realized I made a big typo in my post. I wish to transition to the central route on my second day from Labruge if anyone has advice on where to cross over. Thanks!
You cross over at Vila do Conde.
See the pink path on this section of the map.

1000033026.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I crossed over to the Central Route at Vila do Conde. I stayed in Matosinhos at the "Fishtail Sea House" my first night out of Porto, then stayed at "Venceslau Wine Boutique Hostel" in Vila do Conde before turning and heading to the Central route. Both properties were very nice.

Yes, I crossed over to the Central Route at Vila do Conde. I stayed in Matosinhos at the "Fishtail Sea House" my first night out of Porto, then stayed at "Venceslau Wine Boutique Hostel" in Vila do Conde before turning and heading to the Central route. Both properties were very nice.
I just checked out the Fishtail Sea House. I will stay there this year for sure. It is 6E less then where I stayed last time at the Caruma Surf House. Also their 6 bed dorm room is 20 sq meters and a 10 bed in Caruma is 13 square meters. Thanks for making me aware of the Fishtail.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you - what app did you use to get this map?
That maps is from the Wise Pilgrim app. Not the free "All Routes" app, but the paid Camino Portuguese app.

To stay in Labruge your first night, I would follow the coastal route up to that spot. From the cathedral, follow the Douro River to the coast and then just continue north. As for the second day, I’d make my destination Povoa de Varzim. If you haven’t already found Gronze.com, it might be a helpful resource for you. Bom Caminho!
Cud I walk from Porto matosinhos
Then matosinhos to povoa de varzim?
Then povoa de varzim to ponte de Lima

Or am I completely confused lol 😆

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Cud I walk from Porto matosinhos
Then matosinhos to povoa de varzim?
Then povoa de varzim to ponte de Lima

Or am I completely confused lol 😆
You are confused. Your first two stages are fine, but Povoa de Varzim and Ponte de Lima are about 65 km apart, and Povoa de Varzim is on the Coastal route while Ponte de Lima is on the Central.

You can switch between Coastal and Central, but most people do it at Vila do Conde.

Most read last week in this forum

Well, I have some health issues and no room at the inn issues. My leg flaring up has really caused a problem. My husband and I are in Vila do Conde looking for a nice place to sleep tomorrow. I...
I’m looking for recommendations for camino memoirs specific to the Portuguese camino. Ideally, the coastal route but I’ll take what I can find. I read a plethora of memoirs from the French route...
Here is my photo video from the Camino Portugues, costal route. We chose almost every opportunity to go Litoral - right out on the coastline. Only the day between Esposende and Viana do Castelo we...
Walking Litoral from Porto beginning 25 Oct. Will places to stay be open? Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back