• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Issues using WhatsApp within Wise Pilgrim App

Pwitzer

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Hi
I'm new to the Wise Pilgrim app and also to using WhatsApp. I have both installed on my Google Pixel 7. I can use WhatsApp to make a call, but when I use the Wise Pilgrim app and press on the WhatsApp phone link, it doesn't open WhatsApp and allow me to make a call. It does nothing. If I hold it long, a text message capability opens, but I still can't make a call. I've tried all the settings I can think of and given each app all the permissions I can think of, but still does not work. Anyone else with this issue that could possibly help me?

thanks

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I may be wrong, I used Wise Pilgrim/WhatsApp extensively earlier this year but only to message albergues. I just looked and the WhatsApp like symbol in Wise Pilgrim does not indicate call capability specifically, to me it’s just indicating that you can use WhatsApp (messenger)…I think? Or, WhatsApp calls don’t work on the iPhone version of the app either. To call, I believe the number must be in your contacts.

I may be wrong, I used Wise Pilgrim/WhatsApp extensively earlier this year but only to message albergues. I just looked and the WhatsApp like symbol in Wise Pilgrim does not indicate call capability specifically, to me it’s just indicating that you can use WhatsApp (messenger)…I think? Or, WhatsApp calls don’t work on the iPhone version of the app either. To call, I believe the number must be in your contacts.
Thanks for the reply. My wife has an iPhone, and the function works on her iPhone without the number being in the contacts. But when I open the same Albergue that she can use the WhatsApp function with, I can't. So, it has to be some other reason it does not work.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the reply. My wife has an iPhone, and the function works on her iPhone without the number being in the contacts. But when I open the same Albergue that she can use the WhatsApp function with, I can't. So, it has to be some other reason it does not work.
Well, I gave it my best shot, maybe an Android specific issue 🤷🏼‍♂️.

I found messages very workable as I had a record confirming my reservation which came in handy on one occasion.

Good luck!

Well, I gave it my best shot, maybe an Android specific issue 🤷🏼‍♂️.

I found messages very workable as I had a record confirming my reservation which came in handy on one occasion.

Good luck!
Thanks - the message function seems to be working, so until I can figure out this calling issue, its good to know that you had good success with the message function.

In most cases I think that it's best to send a message rather than call. That way the hospitalero/a isn't interrupted by your phone call and can respond when they have time. Plus it's great to have the confirmation in writing.

When I use the WhatsApp feature on Wise Pilgrim I always immediately add the place in my contacts so that I don't have to work out which place responded to my message.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
In most cases I think that it's best to send a message rather than call. That way the hospitalero/a isn't interrupted by your phone call and can respond when they have time. Plus it's great to have the confirmation in writing.

When I use the WhatsApp feature on Wise Pilgrim I always immediately add the place in my contacts so that I don't have to work out which place responded to my message.
Thank you for sharing your experience using the messaging function and having a written confirmation is a good thing to have. Adding their number to your contacts is good advice. I would still like to not only find out why it doesn't seem to work, but we are also now finding that when sending a message using WhatsApp, their response doesn't translate into English and no settings seem to work so that it will translate. Frustrating.

Thank you for sharing your experience using the messaging function and having a written confirmation is a good thing to have. Adding their number to your contacts is good advice. I would still like to not only find out why it doesn't seem to work, but we are also now finding that when sending a message using WhatsApp, their response doesn't translate into English and no settings seem to work so that it will translate. Frustrating.
Copy their message.
Paste their message in Google translate or other translation app.

Problem solved.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Apropos of nothing I’m reminded that when I have low expectations I’ve often been pleasantly surprised.
Paste their message in Google translate or other translation app.

Problem solved.
Yes - that is what I thought - but the copy and paste function will not work. I hate android! LOL.

Yes - that is what I thought - but the copy and paste function will not work. I hate android! LOL.
I have only had Android phones, and I can easily copy and paste from WhatsApp.
Simply long press on the message to highlight it, then tap the three dots in the top right corner of the screen to copy.

Screenshot_20240822_143928_WhatsApp.jpg

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I have only had Android phones, and I can easily copy and paste from WhatsApp.
Simply long press on the message to highlight it, then tap the three dots in the top right corner of the screen to copy.

View attachment 176626
Tried that - it only displays "Pin" and "Report" - no copy. Tried holding down on the message - doesn't come up either. There has to be some setting I'm not knowing about that is preventing all of this from not working. Thanks for your help.

Tried holding down on the message - doesn't come up either.
It's not something that pops up when you hold down on the message. After you long press on the message it will be highlighted. Then tap the three buttons to get the options to copy, pin, or report.

It's not something that pops up when you hold down on the message. After you long press on the message it will be highlighted. Then tap the three buttons to get the options to copy, pin, or report.
Thanks - I'll try that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm playing around on my WhatsApp, and if I highlight two messages I get a little "copy" symbol up top. I don't know why it doesn't do that with just one message, it seems like it used to. 🤔

A variation on my Samsung Android phone is that the copy function is a separate icon on the menu bar, rather than in the drop down (3-dots) menu. I have found this occurs when highlighting multiple messages, or trying to copy the text of one of my own messages. When I just highlight a single reply, the copy function is in the drop down menu.

I'm playing around on my WhatsApp, and if I highlight two messages I get a little "copy" symbol up top. I don't know why it doesn't do that with just one message, it seems like it used to. 🤔
Indeed, and it happens on my phone when I highlight one of my own messages.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello, you’ve reached Samsung technical support. Your call is important to us, please stay on the line, calls are taken in the order they are received. You are caller 76,403. 🤣

I'll give that a try and see what happens - thanks!

A variation on my Samsung Android phone is that the copy function is a separate icon on the menu bar, rather than in the drop down (3-dots) menu. I have found this occurs when highlighting multiple messages, or trying to copy the text of one of my own messages. When I just highlight a single reply, the copy function is in the drop down menu.
Interesting. I have a google pixel 7 and I guess they all work slightly differently. I'll keep trying different suggestions to see if something works.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nothing wrong with Android phones. I barely know how to do anything on an iPhone!
Remember if I can figure out an IPhone anyone can. I got the impression that androids, because they come from different companies will have different functions and interfaces (I hope I am using the right terms). I have been on Android phones and have used all types of computers. Nothing is easier than an Apple product in terms of learning how to use it. But then again I am an old fart. Younger people have no issue with anything related to this.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.