Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it too ambitious?

Kam14

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese way
Hello,

I’m a woman in my 30s and a beginner to the Camino. I’m planning to walk the Portuguese Way from Porto in 12 days, from late September to mid-October. Do you think this plan is too ambitious? Also, I’d appreciate any advice on good training exercises.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked that Central Route from Porto a couple of years ago in 13 days. I was keeping my days under 20 km where I could. A 12 day pattern seems entirely reasonable to me if you think you can do a longer distance than that regularly, but you would have to do that from the outset.

Before my first Camino, I used a training program from AussieWalks. It has been updated over the years since, and I think still provides reasonable guidance, and can be shaped so it can be done even if you have a full time job. This program aims to prepare people to do a two day walk, typically 20 km or 30 km on successive days. I like to get to that point before I start any longer pilgrimage, but if you cannot, it is always an option to walk yourself fitter by walking (slightly) shorter days at the outset.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello,

I’m a woman in my 30s and a beginner to the Camino. I’m planning to walk the Portuguese Way from Porto in 12 days, from late September to mid-October. Do you think this plan is too ambitious? Also, I’d appreciate any advice on good training exercises.
12 days is fine, I did it in 10 days this July. For training, just walk everyday and in some days do long distance walks.

Day 1: Sé Cathedral–Foz do Douro – Matosinhos (12 km)
Day 2: Matosinhos - Vila do Conde (24 km)
Day 3: Vila do Conde - Marinhas (30 km)
Day 4: Marinhas - Carreço (30 km)
Day 5: Carreço, Portugal - A Guarda, Spain (27 km)
Day 6: A Guarda - Baiona (32 km)
Day 7: Baiona - Vigo (28 km)
Day 8: Vigo - Pontevedra (38 km)
Day 9: Pontevedra - Padron (40 km)
Day 10: Padron - Santiago de Compostela (25 km)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello,

Perfectly doable in 12 days.
As for training: Walk regularly, expand your distances and add some backpack-weight over time.
Choosing training ground with different surfaces and with some up and down might also help training your knees and ankles.
Even so, do expect some sore muscles and back pain in the first days on the Camino.
Besides - enjoy the Portugues!

Last edited:
do expect some sore muscles and back pain in the first days on the Camino.
Sore muscles, yes. Back pain is totally avoidable with a properly fitted backpack. I’ve seen it all: hip belts strapped around waists or set so low they’re restricting hip mobility. Shoulder straps so slack that the pack waggles from side to side with every stride. I’ve even seen a fully laden hiking pack worn in front “in case of pickpockets”!!

Never mind, it’s only a Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all for your responses.
Each of your replies was warm, encouraging, and very helpful.
As you advised, I’ll start by reviewing my itinerary and focusing on training from now on.

If I may ask, I’d love to hear about the most challenging experience you had on the Camino from Porto. I’d like to mentally prepare myself! Haha.

Hello,

At 58, I did it in 7 days, in reverse from Santiago right after completing Camino Frances from SJPP with no rest days. You will be fine.

If I may ask, I’d love to hear about the most challenging experience you had on the Camino from Porto. I’d like to mentally prepare myself! Haha.

Dare I suggest the hardest thing for you might be giving up control? That is said in the same generous and encouraging spirit of other posts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Never forget to take the local taxi telephone number every morning before leaving your accommodation.

This way if you are exhausted or for any other reason you can contact them.

Enjoy your trip

I did it in 13 days, but a lot of people were walking it in less days than me. I'd rather walk two 16km days than one 32km day.

Is it too ambitious? Not for many people. For you? Only your body will know, and not until it tries it. That's why I usually advise people to give themselves a bit of a cushion for a first Camino. Because they don't really know what they are capable of until they put themselves to the test. But I'm certainly not going to tell you it is too ambitious. Not when a number of people have done it in 12 days - or less.

Most read last week in this forum

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...
Greetings from Portugal, We are currently in the town of Santarem. We have met some wonderful folks and we have a question. Does anyone know if there is a way to transport backpacks from here to...
We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back