• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it possible to post unnecessary things to Santiago

LSab

Time of past OR future Camino
September 6, 2024
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it possible to send a small package of extra stuff to Ivar and then pick up the parcel when I reach Santiago? Please advise if this is possible and what the mailing address would be. Thank you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it possible to send a small package of extra stuff to Ivar and then pick up the parcel when I reach Santiago? Please advise if this is possible and what the mailing address would be. Thank you!
You can also do it with the Spanish post office (“ Correos”) using their “paq perigrino” system, but I always use Casa Ivar because if for some reason you don’t make it to Santiago, you can arrange to have it sent back home or somewhere else.

Correos Paq Peregrino sends it to the Santiago main post office.

What I have done with Correos is send equipment a few days ahead. Last time I sent a box from Burgos to Leon to test if I could do without some things. In that case you do NOT use paq peregrino, but send it general delivery. To do that you write:

Lista de Correos
Your name
Address of the post office in Spain that you want to pick it up from.

They hold it for 15 days. The last time I did that I used Casa Ivars address as my return address, so if for some reason I don’t pick it up they “return” it to Casa Ivar and then I could arrange to get it back from him.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I understand the correos system but you imply that I can also send a package to Casa Ivan. Is this correct? Can you explain how this works (sending a package to be held until I reach Santiago/Casa Ivan. Thank you

I understand the correos system but you imply that I can also send a package to Casa Ivan. Is this correct? Can you explain how this works (sending a package to be held until I reach Santiago/Casa Ivan. Thank you
Did you click on the link in my post? It's all explained there.

You go to the post office and send the package to

Casa Ivar
ATT: [Your name goes here]
Rua Nova 7
15705 Santiago de Compostela
A Coruña
España

Don't use the special Paq Peregrino pricing when you send to Casa Ivar.

@ivar recommends using Paquete Azul pricing/service.

These are the hours for pick up

December to the end of March

Weekdays: 10am to 2pm
– Saturdays: Closed
– Sundays: Closed.
(We might be able to drop it off at your hotel in old town Friday if you let us know 3-4 days in advance. €10,- delivery fee per item. You pay us online).

You can also do it with the Spanish post office (“ Correos”) using their “paq perigrino” system, but I always use Casa Ivar because if for some reason you don’t make it to Santiago, you can arrange to have it sent back home or somewhere else.

Correos Paq Peregrino sends it to the Santiago main post office.

What I have done with Correos is send equipment a few days ahead. Last time I sent a box from Burgos to Leon to test if I could do without some things. In that case you do NOT use paq peregrino, but send it general delivery. To do that you write:

Lista de Correos
Your name
Address of the post office in Spain that you want to pick it up from.

They hold it for 15 days. The last time I did that I used Casa Ivars address as my return address, so if for some reason I don’t pick it up they “return” it to Casa Ivar and then I could arrange to get it back from him.
Excellent idea - the ‘return address’

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Just to add to this thread….I am about to start the Camino Primitivo (tomorrow) and decided to shed as much excess as I could. Following the instructions on this app about luggage forwarding to Casa Ivar, the staff in the Correos office in Oviedo were so helpful. I had a compression sack that we put in a box and sent on. The parcel is tracked via the Correos website and if you aren’t confident in Spanish, google translate is very useful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did you click on the link in my post? It's all explained there.

You go to the post office and send the package to

Casa Ivar
ATT: [Your name goes here]
Rua Nova 7
15705 Santiago de Compostela
A Coruña
España

Don't use the special Paq Peregrino pricing when you send to Casa Ivar.

@ivar recommends using Paquete Azul pricing/service.

These are the hours for pick up

December to the end of March

Weekdays: 10am to 2pm
– Saturdays: Closed
– Sundays: Closed.
(We might be able to drop it off at your hotel in old town Friday if you let us know 3-4 days in advance. €10,- delivery fee per item. You pay us online).

You can send it as trecile described: https://casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/

Or have it picked up: https://casaivar.com/ship-your-luggage-to-santiago-de-compostela/ and sent there, where it will be stored.

When we hiked the Camino Frances, we sent the suitcase we had for a longer trip to Casa Ivar from St. Jean Pied de Port and just carried our packs. It worked beautifully. We would certainly do that again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
I'm looking to buy a sleeping bag for my next Camino, but since I'm only 1.5m tall (5 feet), I’d prefer not to go with a standard-sized one. I don't want to feel like I’m swimming in it, and the...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.