• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introduction and advice for Bilbao lodging, September

TheresaValls

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 8 to October 15, 2024
Hello! I'm Theresa Valls from Portland, Oregon USA. I'm grateful to have found this treasure trove of help and advice.

Loss and heartbreak prompted me to impulsively set myself to walk 1/2 the French Way, starting at Leon, sometime around 15 September. This is my first solo trip in 30 years, and I've rarely traveled in Europe. Which is to say, I'm feeling quite anxious. I have heard that the Camino will provide, so I am trusting that idea.

I fly to Bilbao early September. Can someone recommend a quite, small hotel/inn/b & b where I can arrive, rest and settle myself before I travel on to Leon? My heart and nerves are tender and I would like a quite, safe resting place as my welcome to the experience. I'm a budget- to mid-range traveler, but these first nights would be worthy of slightly more expense.

Thank you for your kind help if you are able to make any suggestions for lodging in Bilbao Sept 8-11.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Theresa, welcome to the forum. Sorry, I can't help you with accommodation suggestions, I just wanted to wish you well.
I'm sure somebody else will be along soon to assist.

Nerves are natural, especially if you haven't traveled for a while. Heck, even when you have!

A lot of us have walked for similar reasons, I trust that the camino will help with your healing.

As you say there's a wealth of information on here - if you can't find something, feel free to post.

The only dumb question is the one that you didn't ask...

Last edited:
Hotels in Bilbao are expensive (by pilgrim standards anyway). I stayed in Bilbao a few weeks ago, but not in the city centre, so although excellent accommodation it wouldn't be suitable for you. But I've just checked Gronze and this looks excellent for you. It is in the old town, across the river from Abando Station and not too far to walk. They're only offering 2 night stays in this high season, but that's not a bad thing!
Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 2.03.31 AM.jpeg
That's from the Bcom site.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Umm - @Peregrinopaul , that's not exactly "a quite, small hotel/inn/b & b". Theresa did say that the first few days would be "worthy of slightly more expense ", perhaps where you actually stayed might be worth mentioning?

Umm - @Peregrinopaul , that's not exactly "a quite, small hotel/inn/b & b". Theresa did say that the first few days would be "worthy of slightly more expense ", perhaps where you actually stayed might be worth mentioning?
I take your point, but Bcom shows very few options in the Casco Viejo and those available are around €200 (and much more) per night. My hotel was a 20 min journey on the metro, up-river close to the ferry port. That cost €47.

You will love Bilbao. It's an easily walkable city, with lots to see and do.
I just spent two nights there on my way home after my Camino. I had been there twice before while walking the Camino del Norte, but it was nice to have a full day to enjoy the city without a backpack!

When I was walking the Norte last year I stayed at hotel Casual Gurea, which had a great location in the old town.

If you use Uber at home you will be happy to know that Uber is available in Bilbao (at least I was happy when I had to get to my lodging from the airport at night). And unlike other airports, the Bilbao airport has a dedicated area in the parking garage for Uber, which is very easy to find.

Uber parking Bilbao.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’ve always been fond of the Pensión AMA Bilbao. Close to the Plaza Nueva and the rail and bus stations. On Berking.con but worth booking direct if you can.
That looks nice, and a good location!

Depending on what time of day you arrive in Bilbao, you might consider going to Burgos to unwind. It is short bus ride away and there is lots to see there and start to immerse yourself in the Camino. Hotel Norte y Londres is a great place to stay there.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

I'm starting the camino on sept. 27 in Leon. I'm a bit apprehensive to start the journey alone. Are any other ladies going to be starting then also and want to walk that first leg? OR, are there...
Hello all, Been reading all your very valuable posts and advice for a few weeks now in anticipation of starting tomorrow! Can only get a portion of Francés done on this trip (probably as far as...
Hi. I'm starting at SJPDP on Thursday 12 September. Quite nervous as the weather has been rainy and misty and my biggest concern is spotting the signs.
Hi Pilgrims! I am planning on starting the Camino Frances between Oct 10-13 and I was hoping to get input about a couple specifics: What's the weather trend for this year? Am I a fool to not...
Hi everyone - so glad to find this forum. have 4 weeks approx and intend on taking the walk handy enough!! to Santiago, onwards to Finisterre and Muxia. looking forward to it, and meeting some...
September 19, @FallCamino2024, (SJPdP) âś…

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.