• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Intro - Bill and Kathy, camino in April 2006

BillJackson

Hello - I'm Bill. My wife, Kathy, and I plan on walking from O'Cebreiro to Santiago in early April, 2006. We are training at Stone Mountain, near Atlanta, Georgia USA, where we have a 5 mile road around the mountain and a moderatly rough 5 mile nature trail around the montain and a 3 mile trail up and down the mountain - occasionally steep climb on granite.
Kathy introduced me to the idea of the pilgrimage - she has read about Santiago since before we met, 7 years ago. We spent the first two nights of our honeymoon in Santiago, in September 2000, and are looking forward to returning for a longer visit. This will be our first camino.
Looking forward to talking to more pilgrims, both before and after our walk.
We plan on spending Easter in Santiago - any advice on accomodations would be appreciated - we will probably stay in an alberque at first, but after the camino, I'm sure we will want a comfortable hotel room to sleep in.
- Bill
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Feb. 7, 2006

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Bill and Kathy! Welcome to the forum!

Easter week is a good time to visit Spain. The processions (in Santiago as well) are well worth the visit by itself.

I would advice you to book ahead for your days in Santiago (don't wait too long). Even if they say that Santiago has too many hotel rooms these days (several new hotels have opened), when it comes to holidays, people come from all over Spain and Europe to visit Santiago....

One of my favorites are Hotel Virxe da Cerca. The owner of this hotel actually own 3 hotel in old town. All newly remodeled and nice (3-stars, but deserve 4).

This link shows some hotels in Santiago
(I get a kickback if you reserve via this link).

For a bigger list of lodging in Santiago, check this out (list might be a bit outdated):
http://www.santiago-today.com/hotels/

For some recommendations from previous travelers, read more here:
viewforum.php?f=3

By the way, if you are looking for "something extra", check out Hostal dos Reis Catolicos:
viewtopic.php?t=43

Welcome to Santiago Bill and Kathy!

Ivar

Thanks

Thank you Ivar - I'll discuss this with my wife. We wanted to leave things unscheduled, but now we will talk about booking ahead for Santiago. We'll be sure to use your link - I'm glad you get a kick back.
- Bill

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Hotel Reservations and a question

Thanks Ivar - We have reserved our room at the Hotel Virxe da Cerca - for one night before we start our camino, and for 3 nights at the end.
One other question - We would like to get used Pilgrim's staffs to use on our camino - we are spending one night in Santiago, before taking a bus to O'Cebreiro. Is there a place in Santiago, where we can get a new or used staff?

Hi again,

New staffs can be bought in "every" souvenir store in old town. Not sure how good they are, but I know they sell well.

But even better, I think you can get used ones (at no cost, I think) at the pilgrims office.

pilgrim_office.jpg

The door you see in this picture is to the pilgrims office. Enter this door and you enter into a room with some stairs that lead you up to the pilgrims office. In the hall before the stairs I have seen 10-15 sticks/staffs just lying around. I think they are left there by pilgrims that have completed their walk and left them behind (I think).

So have a look there, and if you find one you like you should maybe walk upstairs and make sure that you can take one.

Welcome to Santiago!

Ivar

Staffs and Hotel

Ivar - thanks for the hotel recommendation. Virxe de Cerca is excellent! I found my staff at the Pilgrim's office in Santiago (just a long stick, that someone left downstairs, that I trimmed and cleaned), Kathy bought her staff in O'Cebreiro. We had great weather the whole walk - only very light rain on 2 out of 9 days.
- Bill and Kathy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello All! I am a nervous first timer trying the first hike on CF from September 24-28, flying from NY area to Paris. Original plan was SJPDP to Pamplona, but then heard it will be rainy during...
Hello all, Been reading all your very valuable posts and advice for a few weeks now in anticipation of starting tomorrow! Can only get a portion of Francés done on this trip (probably as far as...
Hi all, Maybe some can give some advice/helping words for me to actually be able to go do it. I am feeling the need to walk the frances (i originally planned and wanted to do the primitivo for...
Hi Pilgrims! I am planning on starting the Camino Frances between Oct 10-13 and I was hoping to get input about a couple specifics: Ticket's are bought and I decided to start on the holiday -...
Hi everyone - so glad to find this forum. have 4 weeks approx and intend on taking the walk handy enough!! to Santiago, onwards to Finisterre and Muxia. looking forward to it, and meeting some...
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong group. Feel free to move my post. I have walked 7 caminos, always in Spain (well, max 50k in France), the country I love. At the end of october/start of...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back