• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Inexpensive Madrid hotel/hostal near Moncloa bus station on way to Camino?

Zoe7

Time of past OR future Camino
First hopefully this coming fall
Any suggestions for an inexpensive place to stay in Madrid near the Moncloa bus station? (Flying into Madrid, then bus or train to Ponferrada to start Camino).

Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Granddaughter staying at Hostal Arrate. Paid $49e for her private room on Booking.com. Says it's 5 min walk to moncola. We are walking end of August meeting her later in Ponferrada

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I decided to go to the Iglesia Santiago y San Juan Bautista and a wait until 1800 for it to open. Turns out there is a Camino marker and map for the Camino in the square outside the church now. After getting my credencial stamped at the church I had a short 10 km stroll to my first nights accommodation along the Camino at Hostal Royal Begona. This then shortened my first ‘full' day on the Madrid.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive place to stay in Madrid near the Moncloa bus station? (Flying into Madrid, then bus or train to Ponferrada to start Camino).

Thank you
I think you have a couple of recommendations for places to stay near Moncloa now, but just a few comments about getting to Ponferrada.

There is a bus or two direct from the airport, which stops in Estación Sur and then Moncloa, if that fits your travel. And if you take the train to Ponferrada, Moncloa is not a convenient place to spend the night. The trains to Ponferrada leave from Chamartín train station. Buen camino!

Thank you
Splurge on your last night, with a quiet good night's sleep, private bath, and no guilt with plenty of hot water. A taxi ride to the bus station is inexpensive.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are many places near Chamartin. My daughter and I stayed at a reasonably priced hotel named Opera near the palace, then the next year an apartment turned air bnb. There were many of those. And I understand they've renewed the Plaza there. Only pick pocket incident in Spain in my 7 trips happened there on that plaza, but I interrupted the attempt.

Most read last week in this forum

Unfortunately I’ve become too ill to continue—I have a flight from Madrid on Sept 19. Can anyone suggest a safe and quiet hotel in Madrid for tonight and tomorrow? I’m so sad I can’t Go on. I’ll...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
Hey everyone, this is just a heads-up that I'll be heading to Camino in the first week of October. My flight from the US to Madrid will arrive at 7:20 p.m. The last trip to Sarria is at 8:23 p.m...
Hello, I am new here. My husband and I plan to walk the Camino in Spring of 2025. In preparation of this I have been researching and reading. I came across a map which was interactive. It showed...
Hi everyone. I’m flying back to Chicago from Madrid after walking the CF in late November. I’ll be taking a cab to a hotel near CDG airport to fly out next day. It appears to be a long distance...
Hey veteran pilgrims - of which I am one - is it common in mid October for all fast trains from Madrid to Leon to be “sold out” six weeks out from travel? It’s been 10 years since I have done a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back