• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Illnesses on the camino; It cools my jets. You?

MARSKA

CF 2023, 2024, 2025?
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
I have walked the CF from SJPDP to SDC twice (2023 & 2024). I stayed mostly in municipal albergues. Both times I became ill with respiratory infection about 2 weeks into the walk. I'm a nurse, so I well know how to modify my behavior to minimize the chance of contagious infection, however I was unsuccessful in preventing my own illnesses. And it is not pleasant to be alone and ill anywhere - esp in a country not your own.

Despite the occasional inconveniences I like staying in muni's. It is almost essential (to me) to the experience. But when I walk in 2025 I might need to rethink this - has anyone else dealt with this problem? How did it work out for you?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are ill, see a doctor. I don´t know how many times I have said this but I am happy to say it again - the Spanish health system is very good and I know this from first hand experience (twice). The only issue there is that small villages do not have full time doctors but even medium size towns do. Pharmacists are also very good and easier to access. If you think you have a contagious disease then you should stay in private accommodation, obviously. For me, the most common problem was gastro, whether viral or bacterial I have no idea but because of that I always take my own supply of hand disinfectant. Having a walking companion or a camino family will also be a support if you get unwell, but don´t be afraid to ask local people to help - their instinct will almost certainly be to say yes.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Peregrinas/os🙌🏼 Presently on a rest day in Astorga- good thing bc I woke up with asthma symptoms… Ventolin helping a bit. Waiting for guidance from my asthma nurse back home & will see what I...
I have walked the CF from SJPDP to SDC twice (2023 & 2024). I stayed mostly in municipal albergues. Both times I became ill with respiratory infection about 2 weeks into the walk. I'm a nurse, so...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back