This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Ideas desired

Bartman

Time of past OR future Camino
'22-C. Inglés; '23 C. Catalan, C Aragon, C Franc
Hola, I'm an 8x pilgrim and pushing 77 yrs. I was on the Camino Baztan when I fell and hurt my knee (that story coming later). I'm very fortunately fine. It's really nothing more than a bump now. But I no longer trust my knees and legs, so I have suspended my walks this year. I caught a bus this morning to Pamplona where I am at the moment.

I scour the forum every day and occasionally contribute my 2¢ worth and know what an incredible resource it and the people who actively participate, many with better memory and collective wisdom than I.

I want to meet a great friend in Santiago on Fri Aug 30 or Saturday Aug 31. I've walked C. Frances 2x but this time I will have to travel by some form of transportation.

So I'm looking for ideas of not to be missed cities or towns that would get me to SdC Fri or Sat this week in 3 or 4 progressive stops by bus or train. Collective Wisdom, what say ye?

Many thanks and always Buen Camino.
Bartman

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hmmm...train
Pamplona--> Burgos --> Leon --> Astora or Ponferrada--> Quarenze--> SdC
Or via Madrid perhaps?

You’ve time to get the bus to Santander and then travel the FEVE along the route of the Camino Norte to Ferrol and a bus to Santiago. It’s a 3 to 4 day journey full of delight that’ll rest your legs but provide some exercise for those other bits.

Timetables to be found on the RENFE Cercanias pages. I’d recommend stops in Llanes, Gijon/Oviedo, and Ribadeo. Others may suggest alternatives.

Buena suerte

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with Tincatikner, the FEVE is fun and the route is beautiful. The FEVE is a narrow gage railway and includes a route that runs all along the northern coast from San Sebastian to Ferrol.

I also agree with stops in Santander, Llanes, and Oviedo. You could also stop in Ribadesella to visit Tito Bustillo Cave, which was a highlight of my visit last year. They recommend that you get tickets in advance. The tours are only in Spanish but there a also a wonderful museum that explains everything in English. https://centrotitobustillo.sacatuentrada.es/es. The website says they're closed Mondays and Tuesdays.

"The Tito Bustillo Cave is one of the world´s collections of Palaeolithic rock art. In July 2008 it was declared, together with four other Asturian caves and twelve more in Cantabria and the Basque Country, a World Heritage Site due to its extraordinary examples of Palaeolithic rock art."

Enjoy!

I had the privilege of exploring Tito Bustillo in 1975. As there were no other visitors there, I was taken on a private tour deeper down into the caves than tourists would typically see. It was an experience that has stayed with me over the years. I highly recommend it should one be in the area. Thanks for rekindling the memory.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This sounds like a really great trip! Thanks, TT!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for all the really great ideas. So much to see. I may have to do a reverse course to take it all in.

Much as gracias,
Bartman

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey y'all,
I would like to thank y'all for the suggestions on a route to take & places to see. I did take a bus to Santander from Pamplona. And from there I took a train to Oviedo where I stayed overnight and continued by train on to Ferrol. The next day I took a bus to Santiago where I have been letting my knee heal up. While I did want to stop and see some of the of the sites that you mentioned my priority at that point was to get to Santiago. One in case I needed medical attention which I did not and two just to feel like I was home. I've been here several times and it's just such a great place.

So I'm doing well and have made plans to continue walking - a little bit more carefully this time. I leave in the morning for Fistera and may continue on to Muxia depending on how the first part of that goes.

Again many thanks to each of you and Buen Camino.
Bartman

PS if you're interested in the rest of the story and all of the responses some of which are excellent I have another post titled Near Death on the Camino Baztan: A cautionary tale.
B

Most read last week in this forum