• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Howdy

AlbinoMike

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2025
Howdy, I am a Texas Aggie and a novice at walking the Camino. I am doing the Camino Frances for the first time beginning in mid May 2025. At this time, I am doing it solo but originally wanted to have somebody to go with. I have been voraciously reading about the Camino and everything I read says no two people walk the same speed. I suppose if I do this with someone that could become an issue. I originally got the bug to do this when I read Shirley McLean‘s book 10 years ago but didn’t do anything about it. Now I Am 74 years old and will be 75 when I start the Camino in May. I feel like if I don’t do it now I never will. I have looked into training programs and Wolk was starting one soon. If any of you have any training programs that work well for you I would appreciate it if you could send them my way. I am getting very excited about doing this and anything you can tell me would be helpful. Thanks again for listening.

Albino, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
See the book The New Aerobics by Dr. Kenneth Cooper, an update on his slightly older Aerobics (there is a version specifically for women also). The books are old but the advice still holds. You get points for meeting cardio goals by walking or running but other means too. There are programs to allow you to progress by slow increases. He considers age.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If any of you have any training programs that work well for you I would appreciate it if you could send them my way.
All I've ever done is walked. I walk 5 - 10 miles most days. If I have a camino planned I might step that up once a week to a 15 miler. A couple of weeks prior I'll start walking with my pack, adjusting load and set-up until I'm happy. Then a week before my camino I go to the pub several times and drink lots of good English beer. It's hard to find in Spain.

Oh, and on my first week of a long camino I go slow. There's no rush. Santiago isn't going anywhere. He'll be happy to see you when you get there

Howdy, I am a Texas Aggie and a novice at walking the Camino. I am doing the Camino Francis for the first time beginning in mid May 2025. At this time, I am doing it solo but originally wanted to have somebody to go with. I have been voraciously reading about the Camino and everything I read says no to people walk the same speed. I suppose if I do this with someone that could become an issue. I originally got the bug to do this when I read Shirley McLean‘s book 10 years ago but didn’t do anything about it. Now I Am 74 years old and will be 75 when I start the Camino in May. I feel like if I don’t do it now I never will. I have looked into training programs and Wolk was starting one soon. If any of you have any training programs that work well for you I would appreciate it if you could send them my way. I am getting very excited about doing this and anything you can tell me would be helpful. Thanks again for listening.

Albino, Mike
Welcome Mike,

Where are you starting from?

The challenge of the Camino Frances isn’t the daily exertion, per se, it’s the repetition over anywhere from 25’ish to 35’ish days - sometimes more.

The more ‘hilly’ days are really behind you when you get to Sarria, so your starting point is relevant for preparation purposes but certainly not in terms of validity as a certifiable Camino.

Many years ago I worked for a US business headquartered in Plano. I never met a Texan I didn’t get on with, nor one who was difficult to find in a crowded bar.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Howdy Mike - Texas Aggies? Texas A&M university?
So - at your age (similar to mine) you don't need any wisdom advice - if you have lasted this long then you are a survivor!
Sure ... first day is like the first day of school, all nervous and not knowing what to do - but most others are in the same position and within a few days it all seems normal and pleasant.

Good for you, walking alone - you won't be alone, you will meet so many people! - there is a basic difference between walking alone and walking with other/s ... facing inwards and outwards - alone you talk less and ponder more, alone you reach outwards whereas not alone means you reach inwards - example: alone in the evening you go to the cafe for a pilgrim meal .. if you see a table with pilgrims at it but room for another you go over and ask if you can join, even moving a chair to the table - and there you are, brand new experiences with brand new people. If you are not alone you tend to discuss where to eat, tend to take a table for two, tend to talk to each other .. this isn't judgemental, it is basic psychology.

I would offer only these
1. Ensure your return flight is far enough ahead to allow for slow days, days off, injuries, etc - the last thing you need is to set up a daily schedule and then have to keep to it - so take each day as it comes, don't even think about future days, they don't exist.
2. Switch electronics off - you can't be 'there' and still be 'at home' and every time you talk to home you cripple the once in a lifetime away from that world experience.
3. The guide books are guide books - not rule books.
4. re training programs. Are you already pretty fit or a couch potato? A lot of the Camino is very uneven and many sections are steep up and steep down (knees go on steep down). Walking around a park or pleasant home hike doesn't really cut it but what does is to load your rucksack for real then find a building with a seriously big multi floor staircase and train walking up and down stairs wearing that pack - is the nearest you can get to strengthening the right tendons, ligaments, and muscles. Though, the real problem on Camino is that you do it every day, day after day after day - so walk slow, take your time, don't book a refugio way ahead and strain to get there, just stop when tired.
5. Enjoy!

Buen Camino!!

p.s. 6. Train in the footwear you will be wearing on Camino!
p.s. 7. Many people don't train at all, they (and me) just build in really slow short days at first and maybe build up as they get fitter - they train for real on the Camino.

Last edited:
Welcome Mike!!
Best training for walking is walkin g:i walk my dog about 10 to 12 km every day!
I don't drive so carry my pack for shopping; and then like above carry about 5kg all the time i walk about a month before i leave!
If your a fat boy like me try and lose a few pounds! ( i did for my first but now i say i will and don't:)
Have a great walk
Buen Camino Woody

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Howdy, I am a Texas Aggie and a novice at walking the Camino. I am doing the Camino Francis for the first time beginning in mid May 2025. At this time, I am doing it solo but originally wanted to have somebody to go with. I have been voraciously reading about the Camino and everything I read says no to people walk the same speed. I suppose if I do this with someone that could become an issue. I originally got the bug to do this when I read Shirley McLean‘s book 10 years ago but didn’t do anything about it. Now I Am 74 years old and will be 75 when I start the Camino in May. I feel like if I don’t do it now I never will. I have looked into training programs and Wolk was starting one soon. If any of you have any training programs that work well for you I would appreciate it if you could send them my way. I am getting very excited about doing this and anything you can tell me would be helpful. Thanks again for listening.

Albino, Mike
You're not alone Mike, looks like a lot of us are doing it for the first time. I'm starting mine around March 10, 2025 and walking alone like you for all but the last week when a couple family members are crashing the party. Lots of good info in this forum and has put some of my concerns at ease. I'll be 62 and hoping to do it all in about 6 weeks with a few down days here and there.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey, my name is Joe and I live In Colorado Springs, Colorado. Just beginning the planning process for the Camino. We are shooting for late September/October of 2026! One question tho... can we...
Hi there pilgrims! I am a new member and I would like to introduce myself. My name is Frans van der Hulst and I live in the Netherlands in a town called Leiden. In May 2025 I hope to walk my first...
Howdy, I am a Texas Aggie and a novice at walking the Camino. I am doing the Camino Frances for the first time beginning in mid May 2025. At this time, I am doing it solo but originally wanted to...
I'm looking to get from Pamplona to SJPP on Aug 2nd, 2025. Any ideas how to get there? i see a taxi is 295 Euros and im travelling on my own.
FRANCE: le 29 septembre 2024 Travel Blog Musings on Midlife’s Misadventures Part Two: Bon! Où commencer? Thousands of people from all over the world...
Hi! I'm starting the Mozarabe on Oct 24. Does somebody knows a second hand shop selling trekking poles i Mälaga? /patrick 2015: Camino Frances 2007-2019: Sweden - Santiago 2019 and 2022: Camino...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back