This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

How to spend a rainy morning in St Jean

athenaanne

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Jun/Jul 2015, Oct/Nov 2024
Hello, I am starting in St Jean Pied de Port in a few days and as I am booked into Borda the first night, I only have about three hours to walk and check in is not until 2.30pm. I had intended to walk around St Jean and explore as I arrive late the night before, but with heavy rain forecasted, I am wondering if there are any suggested sheltered ways to spend a morning in St Jean before starting to walk around 11/11.30am beyond sitting in a cafe and ordering coffee after coffee! Any favourite churches, museums, cultural attractions not to miss?
Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Theres the church you can visit, but i found it not so super interesting to spend more than a few minutes inside. But i guess a more religous person could spend more time there.
Then there is the pilgrims office, and i guess depending on how busy they are you could go for a chat with them.
Stocking up on some items might also be an option, theres a Lidl market about 10min walk from the center.
If rain pauses, you could also take a look around the ancient fort or walk the city walls for a bit.

But i guess, besides the cafe option, that's about it. Maybe bring some kind of magazine or newspaper to read and discard afterwards.

Well, others may think otherwise but I find that St Jean is a bit of a non-town really, even if it is the region capital.
A visit to the church at the bottom of the cobbled street that is the Camino (worth doing before starting a pilgrimage!). There are some souvenir shops that one can browse ... the hiking Camino shop opposite the pilgrim's office ... so idle shop browsing really.
One can stand romantically underneath the arch out of town, St James Gate (and keep dry), romantically and wistfully on the bridge looking at the river and the fish swimming there (and stay wet) ... cafes of course - take a book!

That tongue-in-cheek aside there are markets, expositions, beautiful views worth walking to ... might as well get used to rain

here is an info website -

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't have a lot of experience in such a matter, but my recommendation is that you spend this time with an umbrella. Chuck

I think there is a lot to see. It’s a matter of asking and wandering around. One entrance arch is where people arrive from Le Puy. Can walk the battlements and of course the pilgrims office for lots of information details on every place to stay, phone numbers etc and etc all the way to Santiago. Try the basque cake, it’s a local delicacy as well as sheep milk cheese. The river crossing is interesting as well as the small church. Rain is rain and if you are well prepared it doesn’t matter
Buen Camino
Mark O

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can walk to Orisson and hang out there until it's time to head up to Borda. There should be other pilgrims coming and going that you can talk to at Orisson.
I agree that a walk to Orisson is a great opportunity to test out your gear. It might be raining in SJPdP now but it will definitely rain at some stage further along the Camino...

I stayed at the municipal albergue in SJPP and had an extended breakfast for a couple of hours in the kitchen with a group of pilgrims before we gradually peeled off to start walking. A lovely way to start my Camino.

Go to Notre Dame (it is the old church, before the bridge) and attend Mass. Even if you are not a believer, it is a good experience.
There is a farmers' market in Mondays, and a local producers one (very good artisanal cheese, hams) in Thursdays. Just cross the bridge and turn right, or follow the main avenue (the Charles de Gaulle).
And well...in your Camino you are going to spend many hours with nothing to do in less interesting and picturesque places than SJPP

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We walked up to the Citadelle the day before we started off, and it was one of the best parts of our entire CF experience. We met a local family and ended up sharing a picnic at one of the tables at the top. I still communicate via WhatsApp with the lovely Mum we met, 6 years later. Admittedly, the sun was shining that day, but I think one would still appreciate the view from up there. I do love exploring places that are SOOOOO different from Dallas, or Adelaide. This passion has not changed even now I am in my 70's.

Amazing thank you so much for all your replies! I live in Scotland so walking in the rain should feel like home So I think a slow morning and checking out some of your wonderful suggestions like the bridge, Notre Dame church, the arch, the citadelle, and a stop at the pilgrim's office will be perfect. Plus a coffee and a spot of basque cheesecake sounds like excellent hiking fuel.
Looking at the forecast for Thursday (when I start), it looks like the rain picks up more later in the day so I guess I shouldn't start too late out and will make use of Orisson for lunch. My first Camino over 9 years ago I arrived in St Jean and walked to Roncesvalles in the same day so I am looking forward to taking it slower this time and relishing those special first few days. Thank you again for all of your wonderful suggestions!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum