• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get Xunta WiFi code to USA phone

Maurice Frank

Camino for Community
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese Central
I am staying at the Xunta municipal albergue in Nejeira on the Camino Finisterre

To get internet Wifi you have to connect to a registration WiFi network and fill out a form with your phone number. The service says it will text a code to use on the actual WiFi network that has internet service

I keep trying and I never receive the code. I have tried entering +1 or simply 1 before my phone number with and without spaces

Nothing works for me. I had the same problem at a previous Xunta albergue

Does anyone know how to get this WiFi code sent to a USA phone number?

Thanks, Maurice Frank

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This happened to me in the Xunta albergue in Pontedeume. Had no WiFi for the reasons you mentioned. Hope someone here has an answer.
Since then, on subsequent Caminos I renew a physical Vodafone SIM card with loads of data and text and voice calls for about €15-19 for 30d. Totally worth the peace of mind especially when walking less traveled Caminos.

Don't know for sure but try the Spanish exit code to get international service (00) then the country code for North America (1) and then your 10 digit phone number.

The + is something that works with smartphones and the registration process might not be using that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I could never get connected this system my self.
I am from Japan and met several people with the same problem from several other countries. So it’s not the problem only with US phones. The best solution I had so far on my Caminos is to ask a hospitalero to connect it. I had a nice young hospitalera in A Gudiña to connect to this complicated network last month.

On your next camino you could do what I do. I get a prepaid sim from Vodafone. It is easy and cheap and really easy to recharge if need be. They give you the option of using your home number or the Spanish number assigned to the sim card. I take the Spanish number. It does not affect anything at all in your contacts. Anyone who tries to call you on whatsapp or (if you have a plan that includes the United States) with your American number it will go through without an issue. It will avoid all these hassles and also makes it much easier to connect to Alert Cops.

Have you a friend nearby with a Spanish sim?

Your phones WIFI and SIM are entirely separate.

Try registering by putting your friend’s phone number in and entering the code they receive in your phone.

That may prevent your friend registering themselves later - but you’ll make new friends in due course.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I keep trying and I never receive the code. I have tried entering +1 or simply 1 before my phone number with and without spaces
You enter your US mobile phone number in the standard international format that is used in Spain, starting with +1. This is not the issue.

I would follow @henrythedog's advice: Ask somebody with a Spanish mobile phone for help. Enter their mobile phone number instead of yours, also in standard international format starting with +34. Use the code that they received.

If it works (not certain at all): Please ask the other person to check on their phone what the number is that sent the sms. If it is a 4-digit or 5-digit number, then it is the same problem that people have with initialising the AlertCops app: It does not work because the sms does not get transmitted from the Spanish sender to a US mobile phone.

Don't know for sure but try the Spanish exit code to get international service (00) then the country code for North America (1) and then your 10 digit phone number.

The + is something that works with smartphones and the registration process might not be using that.
I could not get this to work, but thanks for the attempt

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On your next camino you could do what I do. I get a prepaid sim from Vodafone. It is easy and cheap and really easy to recharge if need be. They give you the option of using your home number or the Spanish number assigned to the sim card. I take the Spanish number. It does not affect anything at all in your contacts. Anyone who tries to call you on whatsapp or (if you have a plan that includes the United States) with your American number it will go through without an issue. It will avoid all these hassles and also makes it much easier to connect to Alert Cops.
My phone is locked so no other SIMs possible

Is there anything useful in that thread? 🤭

I had a search on the forum and on Reddit. The system appears to work for Spanish phone numbers and other European country phone numbers. The issue appears to lie with US phone numbers in particular. One person writes: "The guy at the desk [of the albergue] gave me his own code." Another person writes: "I found in early February [2018] that the code given worked for multiple devices." So perhaps the "one code for all" just might work as suggested earlier.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Apparently not always. I've got a European number and never got it to work on the Sanabrés this past summer. The Spanish I talked to couldn't either.
I take it that you all had the same issue as the OP, that is you needed to get a code by sms. And never got it?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
It is mid-morning in Spain, I guess that the OP has left the Xunta albergue, and we are left wondering whether it worked or did not work.

On Reddit somebody said that once they had connected to the Xunta WiFi network in one albergue they did not have to go through these steps again and they did not have to get another code again, they had access in other Xunta albergues, too.

This is not surprising of course, passwords for access do get stored on your mobile phone. I never stayed in a Xunta albergue and have no direct experience. However, I do get sms from "short phone numbers" of course ... the initialising code for the AlertCops app is sent this way, and appointment reminders from my hospital, and the code I need each time to log into my health insurance account. In those cases where I have to enter my mobile phone number as the recipient, I always have to enter it in standard international form whether the sms is international (AlertCops) or national (health insurance). But unless somebody checks, it is not even known whether the Xunta system sends from a "short phone number" ...

Thanks to all of you for you suggestions.

I never got it to work. Someone mentioned Alert Cops and I tried several times last fall to get that setup and it never worked either.

I have 20 GB of data with my international plan so I’m ok. I just prefer WiFi for backing up my photos (100 per day) to my cloud backup service

I do appreciate your help.

Buen Camino from Lago on Camino Finisterre

Honestly, don't even try. A complete waste of time and energy.

I did once manage to force it to work, badly, but then I am a former IT professional.

My professional opinion is that this game is not worth the candle.

Treat these "networks" as being non-existent.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I am staying at the Xunta municipal albergue in Nejeira on the Camino Finisterre

To get internet Wifi you have to connect to a registration WiFi network and fill out a form with your phone number. The service says it will text a code to use on the actual WiFi network that has internet service

Nothing works for me. I had the same problem at a previous Xunta albergue

Does anyone know how to get this WiFi code sent to a USA phone number?

Thanks, Maurice Frank
We solved it: hospitaleros have a different code for these cases. Just ask them

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.