• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to get the train from Madrid to Sarria on Oct

Bellaxie

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi , I’ll be travelling from Madrid Charmartin to Sarria on Oct2024 to start my first Camino! And when I search the information in the forums find that the train from Ourense to Sarria is under construction which need replacement by bus . So perviously most of the person choice the train (10:04 Madrid-Chamartínr-12:17 Ourense 12:30 Ourense-13:46 Sarria).
And when I try to buy the ticket on Renfe website and find that no train from Madrid to Sarria directly, and try to find ticket from Madrid to Ourense and Ourense to Sarria separately, but Ourense to Sarria 12:30-13:46 this train is cancelled from Oct, but still available for September. Any one know how could we get from Ourense to Sarria from Oct?
Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I found a train at 13:15 from Madrid Chamartin on Oct 16. The itinerary for the trip shows all the way to Lugo (after Sarria) and there is a notice that a bus replaces the train after Ourense. Try doing a search with the origin station "Madrid (todas)" and don't restrict the departure time?

I found a train at 13:15 from Madrid Chamartin on Oct 16. The itinerary for the trip shows all the way to Lugo (after Sarria) and there is a notice that a bus replaces the train after Ourense. Try doing a search with the origin station "Madrid (todas)" and don't restrict the departure time?
seems like the train departure from Madrid on 10:04 cancelled from Oct, only 13:15 is available now. As I need to arrive Sarria early afternoon, maybe I need to find other way to get to Sarria.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
There is only one direct train per day to Sarria to Madrid and you arrive late afternoon. Due to ongoing construction between Ourense and Sarria, Renfe engages a fleet of buses and passengers are shifted from the train to special buses for the leg from Ourense to Sarria. You are taken to the train station in Sarria and not the bus terminal.

Renfe staff supervise the transfer to ensure all passengers make this transfer.

If you are taking a train to Ourense and making what seems like a train connection, they will also put you on a bus due to the ongoing train works. This has been this way for some time now (more than a year) so I hope someday they will finish and the train connection will be restored for that last leg.

On addition, there are other train works due construction st Chamartín station that have impacted train times all summer. As a result, the train times have been changed going toward Galica with more early and late in the day and fewer in the midday. I found this information reading the Galician newspapers.

Hi , I’ll be travelling from Madrid Charmartin to Sarria on Oct2024 to start my first Camino! And when I search the information in the forums find that the train from Ourense to Sarria is under construction which need replacement by bus . So perviously most of the person choice the train (10:04 Madrid-Chamartínr-12:17 Ourense 12:30 Ourense-13:46 Sarria).
And when I try to buy the ticket on Renfe website and find that no train from Madrid to Sarria directly, and try to find ticket from Madrid to Ourense and Ourense to Sarria separately, but Ourense to Sarria 12:30-13:46 this train is cancelled from Oct, but still available for September. Any one know how could we get from Ourense to Sarria from Oct?
Thank you!
There is only one direct train per day to Sarria to Madrid and you arrive late afternoon. Due to ongoing construction between Ourense and Sarria, Renfe engages a fleet of buses and passengers are shifted from the train to special buses for the leg from Ourense to Sarria. You are taken to the train station in Sarria and not the bus terminal.

Renfe staff supervise the transfer to ensure all passengers make this transfer.

If you are taking a train to Ourense and making what seems like a train connection, they will also put you on a bus due to the ongoing train works. This has been this way for some time now (more than a year) so I hope someday they will finish and the train connection will be restored for that last leg.
I actually traveled today.The train from Madrid Charmartin went to Ourense and then we had to do a monbus which they arranged.Apparently due to train maintanance.Expect it to be very crazy at Charmartin and then check in at attached bus terminal next to train station.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you!
There is no direct train at this time due to train and track maintenance. We traveled Step. 4, 2024, from Madrid Charmartin went to Ourense and then we were transfered to a monbus which they arranged. We completed our Camino Monday.

I actually traveled today.The train from Madrid Charmartin went to Ourense and then we had to do a monbus which they arranged.Apparently due to train maintanance.Expect it to be very crazy at Charmartin and then check in at attached bus terminal next to train station.
Thanks for the details of what to expect . I will make this same trip in two weeks. Do you mind letting us future travellers know what time you arrived in Sarria?

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hi All, I would like to update that the train (10:04 Madrid-Chamartínr-12:17 Ourense 12:30 Ourense-13:46 Sarria) is now available on Renfe's website now, but could now search on Renfe Apps. If anyone would like to buy the same train tickets as mine, you could go to Renfe webiste to buy it. Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon)...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
Unfortunately I’ve become too ill to continue—I have a flight from Madrid on Sept 19. Can anyone suggest a safe and quiet hotel in Madrid for tonight and tomorrow? I’m so sad I can’t Go on. I’ll...
I hope I am posting this in the right subject section. My annual multi-trip travel insurance has a limit on the duration of any one trip of 45 days. Any claim must include evidence of departure...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hola todos! I’m trying to find the best way to get from Leon to Sarria where I will start my walk. For context, when I decided to stay in Leon for a few days before my walk I saw that there were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back