• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How Far to Book Accommodation In Advance Camino Portuguese

SILVtheNomad

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues Coastal Route in September 2024
Hello everyone,
I am planning on walking the Camino Portuguese this upcoming September and was curious how far in advance I should be booking accommodation and where to look for hostels/ pilgrim albergues. I currently only have my accommodation booked for Porto and I heard September can be pretty busy is that true for this particular route?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked last year in July the week prior the catholic youth assembling in Lisbon and only booked the Albergue in Porto in advance.
Sometimes you have to walk further or alter your plans (walked to the central to avoid the overcrowded coastal), but it is doable without prebooking.

Have fun and

Regarding where to look for accommodations check out Gronze.com. You’ll find a variety of accommodations along your route as well as contact information for the albergues and hostels.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
As it seems your post is asking how far in advance should you book, it seems like your plan is to book, vs winging it as you go. That being the case, there is nothing to stop you from booking now. While many say you can wait, I prefer to have all the details sewn up. Our last Camino was a re-do of the Primitivo of from 2023 - which had injury issues. We walked this May/June (2024) and every last booking was made in September of 2023. (Except for the train from Madrid to Oviedo.) I am a former travel agent so it is my nature to pre-plan everything. Plus, I had COVID and was quarantined in my bedroom with my laptop and really needed something to do. Either way, if you are picky with your requirements (and I really, really am), if you find places you want to stay then lock them in. The closer you get to your departure date, the more limited your choices. Almost all places will let you cancel/adjust your dates, so there is really no downside to reserving in advance. I used booking.com mostly and reached out directly to places I wished to re-visit from the previous year. I used the Camino Guides for the Portuguese (2016) which had #'s for places and maps. I have not used Gronze, but only because I have had luck elsewhere.

Happy Booking and Buen Camino!

As it seems your post is asking how far in advance should you book, it seems like your plan is to book, vs winging it as you go. That being the case, there is nothing to stop you from booking now. While many say you can wait, I prefer to have all the details sewn up. Our last Camino was a re-do of the Primitivo of from 2023 - which had injury issues. We walked this May/June (2024) and every last booking was made in September of 2023. (Except for the train from Madrid to Oviedo.) I am a former travel agent so it is my nature to pre-plan everything. Plus, I had COVID and was quarantined in my bedroom with my laptop and really needed something to do. Either way, if you are picky with your requirements (and I really, really am), if you find places you want to stay then lock them in. The closer you get to your departure date, the more limited your choices. Almost all places will let you cancel/adjust your dates, so there is really no downside to reserving in advance. I used booking.com mostly and reached out directly to places I wished to re-visit from the previous year. I used the Camino Guides for the Portuguese (2016) which had #'s for places and maps. I have not used Gronze, but only because I have had luck elsewhere.

Happy Booking and Buen Camino!
Thank you I appreciate it!

We booked Porto, Santiago and our first two nights because we knew we wanted to start with short distances. After that we booked either two or one day out based on how we were feeling. This was on the Portuguese, mainly Littoral, some Coastal in June of this year with mainly private rooms in shared spaces.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
September can be very busy. If you do not like the stress and occasional expensive rooms that come from accepting whatever is available when you arrive, definitely book ahead. The CP is seeing record crowds and the infrastructure isn’t made for that

Last year, September was the most popular month on the Portugese Camino. So far this year, pilgrim numbers are up 50% on the coastal route and just over 8% on the central route. If you are planning to walk the coastal route, and you are planning on staying in places that take reservations, I would suggest making reservations now for a better selection.

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.