This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Hornillos del Camino: what's the difference?

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
I took a photo of the Hospital de Peregrinos Santo Espíritu in Hornillos del Camino. I googled for some information and found this:

Hospital de Peregrinos Santo Espíritu​

"Durante la época medieval fueron creados aquí tres hospitales para atender a los peregrinos. Dos de estos lugares llevaban el nombre de San Lázaro, destinado a leprosos y peregrinos, y el Hospital de Peregrinos Santo Espíritu en Hornillos del Camino, es el único que se ha mantenido, creado para romeros y peregrinos. Actualmente este recinto tiene un área separada como lugar de encuentro de la peregrinación moderna." [/viajecaminodesantiago.com/camino-frances/hornillos-camino/]

"... para romeros y peregrinos." My small Spanish-English dictionary translates 'romero' as 'pilgrim'. 'peregrino' is also translated as 'pilgrim'. So the Hospital was created for pilgrims and pilgrims. An automatic translation gave me 'created for rosemary and pilgrims', which seemed an unlikely alternative.

My question is, therefore, what's the difference between a romero and a peregrino?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Weren't Romeros pilgrims to Rome?
Originally, yes, but the word ´romero´ was later extended to mean all pilgrims. In English, the same thing happened to the word ´palmer´ so romero and perergrino could be taken as synonyms, if not exact ones. A local festival is referred to in Spain as a ´Romería´, especially if it involves a procession. ´Romero´ is also the word for ´rosemary´.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum