Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For Sale/Wanted Home for sale; good location for albergue in Vila Nova da Barquinha

Friend from Barquinha

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
Just posting this because our neighbour has put his family home up for sale. The land we own, along the caminho, was subdivided off this property about a decade ago and we purchased the land thinking perhaps we might like to build/run an albergue: the location is unbeatable!

But our plans have gone in other directions with the land. We really enjoy seeing and greeting the peregrinos who walk past our smallholding almost every morning, and when we have extra fruit I often leave it out for passers-by. (We have a lemon tree and 5 orange trees, plus 5 big fig trees, and a loquat (ripe in April) and grapevines at our house up the hill, so there's often something we can share.)

We have JUST (as in literally, yesterday!) completed our application for temporary residency, so now we can stay in Barquinha all the time. I can think about other things besides packing and government paperwork, which is a very good thing!

Meanwhile, the matriarch of the family who own the adjacent home can no longer look after herself--she lived in the house alone--and her son and daughter are putting the house up for sale. It strikes me that it might make a very good albergue: it has a separate small suite downstairs that could suit the hosts as a separate spring>fall home, with the upstairs--4 bedrooms plus a finished attic--working well for visiting peregrinos. The finished attic (sotão) could make a couple of decent-sized dorms, I would think, with a bit of renovation.

I think a fair bit of the home's furniture and appliances could be available with the sale of the house. And the neighbours are friendly and supportive!

As is the concelho (municipality). They seem to be going all-out on supporting religious tourism, including the Caminho de Santiago, through our area, so it's quite possible there would be some municipal incentives for someone taking on a project like this. There are hotels in our concelho, but nothing that really would meet the needs of peregrinos wanting more basic accommodation.

Knowing the son, not sure there's much wiggle room in the price. Probably pretty fair by today's standards.

After owning our place 7 years, with about 1/3-time residency, and having just now settled permanently here in Barquinha, I'd be happy to fill in any local knowledge that I can, for anyone interested.

Edit: I know the son who's been maintaining the house. It is well-looked-after and pretty solid; your classic Portuguese concrete construction, thoroughly done.

Bom caminho!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What is the asking price? I cannot read the ad
€265k, which wouldn’t even get you on the property ladder where I am, and I no longer live anywhere ‘special’.

(It may be that you’re caught in the ‘fewer than five posts’ category. Post a couple more times and see if you can access the link)

I think it’s very public-spirited of @Friend from Barquinha to welcome an albergue next-door.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
If you use the Chrome browser you can set it to automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.
I think it's worth saying that other browsers have similar features now. You don't have to have Alphabet Inc./Google's browser installed anymore. I use Firefox and that offers a translation feature when you arrive at a page that's not in English. Seems to work pretty well.

I think it's worth saying that other browsers have similar features now. You don't have to have Alphabet Inc./Google's browser installed anymore. I use Firefox and that offers a translation feature when you arrive at a page that's not in English. Seems to work pretty well.
I use this as well. I think it's a testing-level add-on to Firefox, but as peregrino_tom says, it works really well (well, at least as well as cutting/pasting into Ggl Translate, which was my previous strategy--and it's way more convenient.)

Do you have any idea of the local zoning/building code regulations for an albergue in this area? Thanks
Not for sure, but I looked into this a while ago, and I think it would fall under the rules for "Alojamento Local," which are pretty easy-going. You have to have fire extinguishers, and a book with written information in Portuguese, English, and I think 2 other languages, and a few other things.

My impression is that there really is no "zoning" as we know it in North America for businesses interspersed among residential properties. People can pretty much build whatever they want--short of industrial--anywhere they want. (No doubt there is more complexity than this, but my sense is--not a lot.)

The house in question is right next to our "lower property" which is designated agricultural rather than residential although it's in a town. I think this is because it has an olive grove on it, and no house. The property was subdivided off the house for sale, so they kept only a small garden's worth of house/paved back deck/potential side garden with the house itself. Our barn was theirs, once upon a time. The now-deceased father of the family was a railway worker (Entroncamento, near here, is the heart of the Portuguese railway--CP), but also pretty much fed the family with a big kitchen garden, chickens, sheep, olives and citrus--very common in the old days, in this area!

€265k, which wouldn’t even get you on the property ladder where I am, and I no longer live anywhere ‘special’.

(It may be that you’re caught in the ‘fewer than five posts’ category. Post a couple more times and see if you can access the link)

I think it’s very public-spirited of @Friend from Barquinha to welcome an albergue next-door.
I find having the peregrinos nearby is a feature, not a bug! And one of the reasons for coming to Barquinha was its history on the Portuguese caminho. We thought about having an albergue ourselves, but at this stage in our lives, seemed like too much work :) Providing one with surplus fruit, in season, seems more our style...right now, we're knee-deep in figs, for example!

Just posting this because our neighbour has put his family home up for sale. The land we own, along the caminho, was subdivided off this property about a decade ago and we purchased the land thinking perhaps we might like to build/run an albergue: the location is unbeatable!

But our plans have gone in other directions with the land. We really enjoy seeing and greeting the peregrinos who walk past our smallholding almost every morning, and when we have extra fruit I often leave it out for passers-by. (We have a lemon tree and 5 orange trees, plus 5 big fig trees, and a loquat (ripe in April) and grapevines at our house up the hill, so there's often something we can share.)

We have JUST (as in literally, yesterday!) completed our application for temporary residency, so now we can stay in Barquinha all the time. I can think about other things besides packing and government paperwork, which is a very good thing!

Meanwhile, the matriarch of the family who own the adjacent home can no longer look after herself--she lived in the house alone--and her son and daughter are putting the house up for sale. It strikes me that it might make a very good albergue: it has a separate small suite downstairs that could suit the hosts as a separate spring>fall home, with the upstairs--4 bedrooms plus a finished attic--working well for visiting peregrinos. The finished attic (sotão) could make a couple of decent-sized dorms, I would think, with a bit of renovation.

I think a fair bit of the home's furniture and appliances could be available with the sale of the house. And the neighbours are friendly and supportive!

As is the concelho (municipality). They seem to be going all-out on supporting religious tourism, including the Caminho de Santiago, through our area, so it's quite possible there would be some municipal incentives for someone taking on a project like this. There are hotels in our concelho, but nothing that really would meet the needs of peregrinos wanting more basic accommodation.

Knowing the son, not sure there's much wiggle room in the price. Probably pretty fair by today's standards.

After owning our place 7 years, with about 1/3-time residency, and having just now settled permanently here in Barquinha, I'd be happy to fill in any local knowledge that I can, for anyone interested.

Edit: I know the son who's been maintaining the house. It is well-looked-after and pretty solid; your classic Portuguese concrete construction, thoroughly done.

Bom caminho!
I can open the link but I don’t read Portuguese. Thank you for the price
Hi Kim, I'm looking for someone to share this idea. Let me know, thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back