• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Hiking Shoes

Maryse

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino portugais 2019
Caminó francés 2024
Hi,
I am looking into purchasing hiking shoes/boots which are not waterproof - I have looked into Hoka and Keen but would welcome any recommendations.

Thank you in advance,

Maryse

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like La Sportiva Bushido II. Have worn them on the Camino in Summers in 2019, 2022, 2023. In winter, I wear a La Sportiva gortex mid boot (2018, 2024).

The 2025 edition of the Lightfoot Guide to the via Podiensis is now available
It does depend on your foot shape - many of the suggestions on this Forum, and everywhere else, suit the foot shape of those providing the suggestions.

My suggestion is a specific Keen model (not remembered at the moment, but it possibly doesn't suit your feet. ) - it took me many pairs of shoes and me walking many 000s of kms to work that out.

I believe there a few fortunate souls who can walk in anything.

Lots of people like a wide toe box - Altra and Topo are good choices for that.

Just about every major athletic shoe company makes trail runners, which are entirely appropriate for the Camino - Nike, Adidas, Brooks, etc.

Hi @Maryse. I see from your profile that you have walked the Portugues. What footwear did you use and how was it?

Buy the ones that are most comfortable for a long day of walking. The only way to be sure is to test them on multiple consecutive walking days.

My approach is:
  1. Try various shoes in a store with a return policy that allows you to return them, at least if you haven't worn them outside.
  2. Select only shoes that are instantly and perfectly comfortable, and that are a roomy fit. If you have a wide foot you may be limited in choice and may need to special-order.
  3. Take the shoes to an indoor mall where you can walk briskly. Take different weights of socks to test, as well. If there is ANY problem point, the shoes should be returned. If you think the shoe is excellent, but you could accommodate a wider one, if available, consider ordering the wider shoe to test.
  4. If you think the shoe is perfect, you will still need to test it outside on multiple walks of 15 km or so, to be sure. Test different socks as well.
  5. If there are problems on those multiple walks of 15 km, then the shoe is not suitable for the Camino. You will need to use them for other daily use at home.
Because of foot problems that are particular to me and that have been confirmed with a podiatrist, I need a very cushioned, stiff rocker sole, that comes in a wide, so certain brands and models are recommended. However, if you have no special foot problems, you could go to a running shoe store and discuss your needs. There are many brands and many models that are successfully worn on the Camino. It all depends on YOUR feet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you think the shoe is perfect, you will still need to test it outside on multiple walks of 15 km or so, to be sure.
I recommend doing these long walks on at least 3 consecutive days. The stress on your feet of walking long distances day after day can cause blisters to occur in people who never or rarely blister otherwise.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum