Search 69,459 Camino Questions

High temperatures forecast for SJPDP and Navarra

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Weather forecasters are predicting a short sharp heatwave in northern Spain over the next few days. Temperatures may reach 37C or 38C in SJPDP and Pamplona. About 10 degrees above the average for this time of year. Even at higher elevations temperatures will be high - over 30C predicted for the Col de Bentarte and Roncesvalles. Anyone thinking of walking the Route Napoleon would be wise to start early in the morning and pay special attention to carrying enough water. Very real risk of dehydration and heat-related health problems. I think the bomberos, the Guardia Civil and other first responders may have a busy few days. These screenshots are from Meteoblue.

FB_IMG_1722080534389.jpg
FB_IMG_1722080545876.jpg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Launy temps.jpg
What a difference a season (& hemisphere!) makes.
Err on the side of caution everyone...don't underestimate the effect of heat.
Take care 🤗
👣🌏

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Yes, yet another heatwave is coming from the south that will reach far north. The illustration (below) does not show the temperature range but the temperature anomaly - where it will be too warm for the time of the year and the region:

Temps anomaly 30 June 2024.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My agent on the ground in Pamplona is escaping today to a very cold river pool about half an hour from the city. The locals know.
I gave up for the day on the Via Francigena when I saw 36C on one of those flashing signs on a pharmacy. I found a very handy campsite and spent the afternoon moving slowly between the swimming pool and the showers. Then watching one of the most spectacular thunderstorms I've encountered when the hot weather finally broke later that evening. :cool:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's not so bad in the Bierzo than elsewhere, but still this afternoon in Trabadelo a 34°C is predicted.

I have found refuge from it at the Municipal and from cool cerveza rather than carrying on.

Do take care and keep cool, peregrinos !!

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back