• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from a newbie

PJL

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Just found this site while reading up about the via Podensis.
Brand new 1st timer, hitting El Camino in September - meeting my French cousins there - not sure how much fitter/faster they are than me... so I've starting training! Very excited to start something from my Bucket list and a bit apprehensive too...
Being from NZ, I was wanting to get in touch with Alwyn? from Wellington.
I'm not very good at navigating Facebook or Blogs so not sure has this Post is going to work out...or even if I'll be able to find it again 😵‍💫😂😂
Interesting and useful reading everyone - thanks for sharing😍

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Maybe download Whatsapp.com Many pilgrims use it to contact accommodations. Maybe he uses it?

Just found this site while reading up about the via Podensis.
Brand new 1st timer, hitting El Camino in September - meeting my French cousins there - not sure how much fitter/faster they are than me... so I've starting training!
Hello and welcome to the Forum
One advice I can humbly give you right off the bat is NOT to try and keep up with your cousins if they are faster than you (fitter may not necessary have anything to do with that speed)

The rule of thumb in a "good" group always was "to move as fast as the slower walker". if for whatever reason that does not work and lets say nobody is willing to fall back with you - by all means let everyone go ahead at their own speed and set a meeting point (next town or even the EoD albergue where you all stay) and move on as comfortable as you feel. I've seen enough "poor" Pilgrims struggling because they tried to keep up and in the process caused themselves injuries and then were frustrated mentally as well.
This is NOT a Marathon!!!!!

Good luck and Buen Camino!

@PJL , welcome to the forum. Lucky you doing the Via Podiensis with your cousins - some struggle because they can't speak French, you've got translators with you! Mind you, if they're cousins I'm guessing you speak at least some French?

I plan to walk it next year, enjoy!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

Firstly, I know the topic thread title is from the book and now movie The Way, My Way by Bill Bennett. (And if you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it). But I thought it was appropriate...
Just found this site while reading up about the via Podensis. Brand new 1st timer, hitting El Camino in September - meeting my French cousins there - not sure how much fitter/faster they are than...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.