• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gronze FORUM (not website) is closing!

El Cascayal

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
23:Valença Var Espiritual Apr; Norte Cudillero Oct
Note from mods: The initial confusion about Gronze’s plans to close sparked a bit of worry. To clarify, only the interactive user forum is closing, and NOT the website with the camino stages and information that so many of us rely on.

This appeared on the Gronze Facebook page today.
Closing Gronze.com as of July 4th. 2024.
Anyone know anything about this?

Attachments

• IMG_9535.jpeg
    IMG_9535.jpeg
    469.4 KB · Views: 10,041
Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think what it is saying is that the ‘foro’ is closing. They have a Spanish language forum, like this English language forum. There seems to be discussion about difficulty with, let’s say, misuse.
It doesnt imply that the other features of Gronze are closing. They are giving time for people to retrieve their posts before they close the forum.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Here is the English translation of the Gronze Forum announcement:
Closing of the Forum
We will close the Forum permanently on Thursday morning, July 4, after which it will not be accessible. Until this date it will continue to function normally, so that those users who wish to recover their published writings (stories, diaries, stories, reflections, advice,...) can save them on their computer.
On behalf of the entire Gronze team, we greatly appreciate your participation in the Forum all these years, helping thousands of pilgrims resolve their doubts and concerns, with quality and first-hand information. It has been a good space for reflection and exchange of opinions, even a place of comfort in the times of covid, and we will stay with that and that is how we will remember it.
See you on the way.

As has been stated previously, this does NOT affect the remainder of the excellent web site. If THAT were to happen, we would all be screwed. There are excellent guides and accommodation web sites. But Gronze is a reliably "local" source.

Oops - forgot the direct web link - here it is:

I hope this helps.

Tom

Good lord, you had me scared there for a while! I thought the one guide I am relying on would disappear in a few weeks! 😅
@Camino Chrissy

It is rather sad to read the postings on the forum of people who are to be deprived of their forum.

Imagine (whisper it) if anything were to happen to this forum! 😱

It is not clear what the problem has been, but there is mention of misbehaviour and trolling.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have participated in the Gronze Forum for more than a year. It is a very good group with viewpoints from a Spanish look. The Spanish language (translation available) gives a very different slant to the Camino.
Very little concern with "luggage" and taxis.

The actual reason for the closure has not been shared. There have been a number of trolls active which, of course, causes great turmoil at times.
The forum is not as closely moderated as this forum and that may be from a lack of time or lack of volunteers by the Admins. I am only guessing as the reason may be something very different.

Take a look before it goes away.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh dear, another casualty of antisocial media?

Oh dear, another casualty of antisocial media?
There are currently several long threads where Gronze forum member express their shock and sadness about the decision to close the forum part of the website and ask for it to stay open and would like to know the reasons for the closure. There has been no reply from the side of Gronze so far. The announcement was made only 2 days ago.

Online platforms do close. I remember three such social media platforms where I was an active member over the course of 25 years that closed for good. Always a sad event. The first one was on Compuserve UK btw. During the previous century :cool:.

Last edited:
There are currently several long threads where Gronze forum member express their shock and sadness about the decision to close the forum part of the website and ask for it to stay open and would like to know the reasons for the closure. There has been no reply from the side of Gronze so far. The announcement was made only 2 days ago.

Online platforms do close. I remember three such social media platforms where I was an active member over the course of 25 years that closed for good. Always a sad event. The first one was on Compuserve UK btw. During the previous century :cool:.
Yes those threads make for sad-nostalgic reading. 🥲

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Online platforms do close. I remember three such social media platforms where I was an active member over the course of 25 years that closed for good. Always a sad event.
Ivar used to run a separate forum for the Via Francigena. I posted daily updates from my 2015 Canterbury to Rome walk on it. Sadly lost in the shuffle when Ivar merged it with this forum.

@timr Not quite as sad as that. I did get warning that the forums were going to be merged and took the precaution of saving the posts in a series of pdf files. No longer online but I do still have the text.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is that the bit of gronze which my phone translates as "to the parrot"?
In which case there will shortly be a dead parrot.
(Sorry, Brits of a certain age may appreciate)
Yes indeed! And like most expressions of this sort, there is not unanimity on the derivation. "Estar al loro" does mean "to be to the parrot" - but it means somehow to keep up to date, or pay attention, or be with it!

That section in Gronze is always worth a read.

And yes neither 'resting', nor 'stunned' nor 'pining for the fjords'.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Imagine (whisper it) if anything were to happen to this forum! 😱
NO. Thank you all the same...
Sad to hear about this. It wasn't something I visited often, because of habit started before machine translation. Buttge Gronze forum has a nice vibe.

And yes neither 'resting', nor 'stunned' nor 'pining for the fjords'.
🤣

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I quite liked the gronze forum - I certainly went down some rabbit holes thanks to it - including one that discussed an alternative on the camino invierno skipping Pobra do Brollon by following the river for longer and reaching a place called rozavalles - yes seemingly linked the more famous Roncesvalles on the CF. I had intended to try that alternative but ended up not taking the camino invierno for a few reasons this time. But I throughly enjoyed that conversation!
Sorry to see it is closing

Most read last week in this forum

I am going to fly back from Santander. I would like to take the FEVE along the coast from A Coruna or Ferol to Santander. Previously when I have asked RENFE staff about FEVE I have drawn a blank...
Hi, has anyone here stayed at Hostelfly? It looks walkable from T2. Or is it very busy roads with no sidewalks? My flight arrives late afternoon, then thinking of getting the Alsa bus next...
Hi Everyone New to this forum and appreciating it. I arrive in Bilbao on 28th August at around 9.30 am and planning to get to SJPD in one day. The alternatives, I've researched so far include a...
I'm just about to start my journey tomorrow 25th June flying into Bilbao which arrives in the afternoon hope to out of the airport by 3/30pm . Planning to catch a coach a from Bilbao via San...
Hello, my name is Stephanie and I will walk my first Camino Sept. I’m having difficulty finding trains from Santiago once I am done to get back to Lisbon. Thoughts??
Hey everyone, setting out on the camino and was hoping to get some insight on best and/or cheapest way to get from biarritz to SJPP. I know you can take a taxi there but unsure how much that would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back