• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gore-Tex or no Gore-tex: Coastal Route September

SILVtheNomad

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues Coastal Route in September 2024
Hello Everyone,

I am planning on walking the Camino Portugues Coastal route at the beginning of September and can not decide if I should buy gor-tex shoes or not. Currently, I am bringing my Teva Hurricane XLT-2 sandals but I am planning on either buying Merrell Moab 3's or getting a Gore-Tex shoe as a backup in case of the rain so that way I have breathability and protection covered with both shoes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Will be on the CP Coastal at the end of August, into September. Not planning on Gore-Tex. Keeping my fingers crossed! In all seriousness my Frances trek last September had bouts of rain , more so in Galicia at the end. Had. Zero problems with my standard trail runners then. Have a great walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is always a lot of debate re gore-tex and non gore-tex.
Most people prefer non gore-tex in the belief that gore-tex makes your feet hot and sweaty.

My experience has been different.

Gore-tex (GT)
I have worn Salomon gore-tex lightweight boots for about 1800 kms on Camino.
My wife too.
We loved them. Very comfortable.
Feet never got wet even in a downpour.
You could walk through a shallow stream in them!
No sweaty feet, zero blisters.
I love having dry feet!

But I had to stop wearing them.
It was too much weight on my feet as I have bad knees.

Non Gore-tex. (NGT)
I was in a bit of a funk for about 2 years trying to replace my GT boots with a lightweight alternative.
I bought and trialled 4 different trail runners.
Only one I could get in GT.
None of them were as comfortable as my old GT boots.
The GT trail runners just proved to be a bad fit (too narrow)
And the new Salomon (trail runner) version of my boots?
Well they changed the design and fitting.
The new ones don't fit me well at all.

So reluctantly I settled on Hoka Stinsons ATR 6.

They were very comfortable.
Although they started to fall apart at 600 kms from new.
I nursed them along with duct tape for another 600 kms.
I loved them. kind of.......
Till it rained...........this is what I was dreading.
Even with no rain, just walking along a grassy path with wet grass, my socks and feet were soaked within 100 metres.
With the wet socks I could feel them starting to chaff.
I was really 'pixxed'
No point in changing socks, they would be wet again within minutes.

Thankfully it was only 1 day of rain.
2-3 days would have led to my first ever blisters on Camino......

So the NGT Hokas worked out OK.
Only because I basically walked a dry Camino.

I'm still in search of the Unicorn.
Comfortable GT trail runners..........

Note. I air my feet and do a sock change most days on Camino.
Gotta keep those feet dry!

Most people prefer non gore-tex in the belief that gore-tex makes your feet hot and sweaty.

Gore-tex (GT)
My wife too.
I love having dry feet!

Non Gore-tex. (NGT)
I was in a bit of a funk for about 2 years trying to replace my GT boots with a lightweight alternative.

Even with no rain, just walking along a grassy path with wet grass, my socks and feet were soaked within 100 metres.
I was really 'pixxed'

Thank you I appreciate the in-depth detail a lot! Currently I was also thinking about bringing my Columbia grant pass waterproof boots to switch over when it rains but I am worried about the extra weight it might add to my backpack

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you I appreciate the in-depth detail a lot! Currently I was also thinking about bringing my Columbia grant pass waterproof boots to switch over when it rains but I am worried about the extra weight it might add to my backpack
Definitely not worth the extra weight. Don't pack your fears!

You might find this thread helpful:

Walking with Wet Feet: Debunking the Myths

Avoid extra weight at all costs!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Everyone,

I am planning on walking the Camino Portugues Coastal route at the beginning of September and can not decide if I should buy gor-tex shoes or not. Currently, I am bringing my Teva Hurricane XLT-2 sandals but I am planning on either buying Merrell Moab 3's or getting a Gore-Tex shoe as a backup in case of the rain so that way I have breathability and protection covered with both shoes.
Definitely not worth the extra weight. Don't pack your fears!
Listen to trecile and do not pack your fears.
I have no idea why you picked the Coastal CP. It is beautiful. It is without a doubt by far the easiest of any of the 9 camino routes (I think it is 9) caminos that I have walked. Unless you have a medical reason or you think it is the lightest and most comfortable shoe to wear ,something like a Moab 3 which according to Merrell is a "rugged" shoe is completely unnecessary. The Coastal Portugues is many things but rugged is not one of them. As trecile suggested you could easily walk it in sandals and when it rains put on a waterproof sock.
Or you can do what I do and I walk in November and December, usually. I wear my trusty Brooks Cascadia trail runners and if they get soaked like they did every day last year when my final section of my camino was the Coastal. It rained like crazy every day. When I got to the albergue I stuff newspaper in my Cascadias and then again before I go to sleep. They are dry as a bone when I wake up and ready to be completely wet again 15 minutes after I start. I never got a blister, but that is my luck only.
Remember the part in Portugal is boardwalk road some nice trails and some sand. A little rougher in Spain but nothing in the least bit intense.

Hello Everyone,

If you are wedded to the sandals then consider waterproof socks. Don’t forget that water running down your legs will defeat goretex boots and waterproof socks.
Goretex shoes do release more moisture than boots due to the lower cut. So perhaps goretex shoes plus gaiters? Still doesn’t solve the water running down your legs challenge.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love my GoreTex Moab 3s (they're also available on-line in a non-GoreTex version), but humans have yet to invent a rain-repelling clothing system that works over long periods of time. I've resigned myself to simply getting soaked some days, particularly (so it would seem) in Galicia. Sporadic rain or small amounts of morning dew don't seem to be the real problem for most folks.

Maybe it'll make me appreciate my somewhat Spartan accommodations at the end of the day.

Buen Camino!

My Meindl boots have goretex and I quite like it. Never have gotten wet feet.

Gore-tex (GT)
My wife too.
I love having dry feet!

Non Gore-tex. (NGT)

I was really 'pixxed'

For dry climate hiking what socks do you recommend wool or wicking?

I wear lightweight trail runners and have used several different brands. My feet are not fussy so all have worked well for me.
I have had to walk in rain a number of times for a few hours with water squishing out of the mesh of my shoes, but I have not had a hot spot nor a blister as a result.
I too, love Hoka's, but the soles do not hold up for as long as other brands.

I've never done a side by side comparison, but I've always heard that Gore-tex shoes take longer to dry out once they are soaked.

Sometimes your shoes/feet are just going to get wet and there is nothing you can do about it.

It is putting wet shoes on the morning after that bugs me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is putting wet shoes on the morning after that bugs me.
That's what led me to becoming a full time Camino sandal wearer.
On the Norte in 2018 my shoes were super muddy. I washed them, stuffed them with paper and set them out to dry. In the morning they were not dry, so I wore my sandals that day and never looked back - my feet were so much happier in sandals than being confined in shoes.

I live in NZ with sometimes 4 seasons in one day - so my Merrell Moab GTX are my trusty all season shoes so will wear on Portuguese Central/Variant later in year rather than buying 2 pairs of shoes. And I need a more hiking shoe rather than trail runners which didn’t work for my feet on Frances & had to switch. Never had blisters in the GTX ( darn tough socks).

The difference to me is:
is it just wet (annoying but can dry off & be fine.)
Or is it wet & cold (risk of hypothermia) due to the season- temperature, heavy or light rain, sleet or hail or snow & wind chill. Then need dry warm feet. And at that point would add ultralight short gaiters & ultra-light rain pants.

Camino - have a warm shower, dry shelter & dry clothes (usually) to put on at end of day- not like camping when can chill quickly out in the elements & getting a tent/ food ready - so another factor- how far, what’s the season, activity, access to shelter & walking distance.

So a juggle of all the variables & risks, personal preferences, trial & error !

That's what led me to becoming a full time Camino sandal wearer.
Ok, I get it and I'm glad you are happy with it. Still tho, that is like the hard core solution... I love my comfy non-durable hokas. Only good for 1 camino at a time though.

I often come up with creative engineering to dry my shoes...IMG_0512.jpeg
(Shoes placed in direct line of heater turned on full blast with insoles removed).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Everyone,

Merrel Moab 2 worked great for me. These are non waterproof but they stayed dry during a full day of rain on the Portuguese.

For dry climate hiking what socks do you recommend wool or wicking?
I wear the same all year round as my shoes are bought to fit my sock regime.

Thin wicking liner socks of a merino mix and thick outer socks of a merino/wool and synthetic mix.

I carry three sets of socks, to allow for a change during the day, (so need to wash 2 sets at night)
The sets I carry are similar but different. This ensures that fir and seams are slightly different so as not to cause chafing or hot spots.

The sock system I use is on this video. I now use trail runners rather than boots. Otherwise the same system.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I'm walking the CF in December this year, thought I should get a pair of Gore tex trail shoes as it's going to be rainy/snowy. After reading this thread and other shoes related thread in this forum, I've decided to go with normal trail shoes and my teva sandals. Hope that'll works!

Crocs, plastic bags and two pair of socks was the best way to survive for me when it heavily rained without stopping for five days

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Shoe/Sock combinations are very personal. Find a combination that works for you. I would not worry about gortex or the rain. I walked the Porto route as well as the Frances and found that all you need is one puddle that sloshes water over the tops of your shoe opening and no amount of waterproofing matters. For us, what mattered is the ability to walk with the most comfortable combination. Stuffing our shoes with newspaper or paper towels overnight always provided us with dry shoes in the morning. Last October walked in over ankle deep water with no other alternatives so waterproofing would not have helped. But I also recognize others love the gortex so again it is personal preference.

Damico, depending on how long you have to walk through over ankle deep water if you have tight fitting gaiters over your gore tex boots you can keep all or most water out. You might make it 10 - 15'+. Buen Camino

Damico, depending on how long you have to walk through over ankle deep water if you have tight fitting gaiters over your gore tex boots you can keep all or most water out. You might make it 10 - 15'+. Buen Camino
Good advise but we ended up walking in almost 12inch deep water/mud for 20yards at a time. It rained so hard over 10 days I thought we needed snorkles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I too, love Hoka's, but the soles do not hold up for as long as other brands.
I love my Speedgoats. I can walk all day and feel great in them. I accept the tradeoff of the nice cushion breaking down. Sure they get wet but they do dry out easily.

But the frustrating thing I've found about them is that what breaks down more quickly than the cushion is the glue holding the tread.

I'll have a lot of life left, cushion-wise, but all of a sudden I'll feel and hear some slapping. Then take the shoe off and the tread is peeling from the sole (again).

I'm finding they really don't glue those together very well---And I think that the tread starts to separate after getting wet too much. So that's why I am wary about wearing only my Hokas. Not the wet feet thing, but because I think all the water breaks down the glue. And I'd guess it's the same for many shoes.

I have some new Salomon GTX which are really nice, but I'm not used to that lack of breathing.

What I will likely do in the future is use my Hokas (or one other shoe) for daily use but take along my Bedrock sandals for wet days.

Maybe one day I will reach trecile-level sandal reliance. :p

My shoes and boots are all Goretex, but thats a personal preference. My real world experience is that yes they will keep your feet dry in a light shower, but anything heavier will get you wet feet.

So, as above, don't overthink Goretex, just choose the shoes that suit you best

Footnote - As Goretex allows moisture out, they do dry our quite quickly, especially walking when its no longer raining.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.