• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Getting From Paris to Oviedo

dcalonder12

Time of past OR future Camino
CF/CdN/Primitivo/Fisterre-Muxia 2023
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

My wife and I fly into Paris and want to start our camino in Oviedo. What is the best way to get to Oviedo from Paris? Thanks in advance.

Dean

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sadly most folk don't have the time but if you do the train is a great way of easing into your camino. And seeing something of Europe in armchair comfort on the way. The most straightforward route is Paris-Barcelona- Madrid, then it's just 3.5 hours direct to Oviedo the next day.

Flying into OVD is best another alternative is to fly to Bilbao ( BIO) and Bus (Alsa) to Oviedo the next day.
Buen Camino

There are trains running from Paris, gare Montparnasse, to Hendaye directly 6 times a day or more in less than5 hours. Take a seat in the upper level to see the country side.
In Hendaye there is a small train (the Company is called Euskotren) to San Sebastian/Donostia, a lovely place to stay overnight. Next day, there are busses to Oviedo ,Company ALSA, around 6 hours to ride.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Also try to book a seat on the right hand side, so you get glimpses of the sea along the coast through St Jean de Luz and Biarritz. That's my usual route to Spain and I second San Sebastian as a great place to stay the night. I suggested the other longer route because it's train all the way. For me, the buses are far less comfortable.

I did something like this last June:
Paris > San Sebastian on day 1
San Sebastian > Oviedo (by train via Palencia) on day 2 - a long day but the scenery was amazing.

Sometimes the journey is the adventure.

Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

My wife and I fly into Paris and want to start our camino in Oviedo. What is the best way to get to Oviedo from Paris? Thanks in advance.

Dean
Did you plan the flight before deciding where you wanted to get to? Is it perhaps exchangeable for a flight to Spain?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The fastest way will definitely flying, a direct flight is less than two hours. A train or bus ride would probably take a full day at best.

Did you plan the flight before deciding where you wanted to get to? Is it perhaps exchangeable for a flight to Spain?
Henry, our plans did change. We were going to do the first leg of the Frances (SJPP to Roncesvalles...we did that last year and loved it). Time became a factor, and we chose to start in Oviedo (where we came off del Norte last year). Our flights were not changeable. Thanks for the thoughts.

Most read last week in this forum