• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gear on the Podiensis

tudda

Time of past OR future Camino
April/May 2025
Hello! Apologies in advance if this is contained elsewhere. I've searched, and have found lot of info for the Frances and other routes, but have found less packing lists for the Podiensis. I'm planning to go the last week in April 2025 for Le Puy - SJPDP, and was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to share a packing list for that time frame? I understand the subjectivity of this request, but am unsure about weather (seems a toss up, but expect some rain and possible snow), sleeping (liner or bag at this season), as well as the availability of buying a needed item on the trail (or difficulty of finding an outdoorsy store).

I'm a ways off, but a local camping/hiking store is having a sale through Labor Day (US Holiday weekend.)

Thank you kindly from Colorado. Jake

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
The range of weather you'll find on the Via Podiensis in that period won't be significantly different from what you'll find on the Frances, so the gear requirements are the same.

The only major exception is that on the Podiensis you won't need anything other than a sleeping bag liner as all the gites -- the French equivalent of the Spanish albergues-- provide bottom sheets and a blanket. So no sleeping bag or quilt. Plus, the French are much more pro-active about bedbugs, so that's a lesser fear than in Spain.

As to outdoor stores, you're less likely to find them than on the Frances, as the Podiensis is far more rural. Possibly in Cahors, around your mid-point, which is the biggest town (around 20,000). However, most of the villages through which you'll pass on a daily basis will have some kind of stores, or a pharmacy, where you can replenish the necessities, such as toothpaste, sun screen, ibuprofen, bandages, etc.

Bon Chemin! Great walk. Learn some French.

Last edited:
Hello. I walked the first half of that route in 2022 and the second half in 2023, both during the month of May. Bring good rain gear and pack your extra clothes in ziplock bags. Although we experienced only a few days of rain, when it did rain it poured! I recommend that you book as many gites in advance through email, and use a translation app if necessary. Non-Camino long distance walking in France is very popular and many locals prefer to book in advance. I booked in advance, and several times the gites I stayed at were at capacity. As for gear, no different from the CF, I brought a light indoor sleeping bag and it was fine, although most gites provide a thick blanket. As for gear shops along the Chemin, Caminoloc has stores in both Cahors and Condom (if still operating). French is very common on this route, so learn some basic French, use a translation app, and you will be fine. When in Le Puy, be sure to attend the Pilgrim Mass at 7:00 am in the cathedral and stay to the end for an unforgettable experience of a trap door opening to reveal a descending stairway to begin your pilgrimage!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello. I walked the first half of that route in 2022 and the second half in 2023, both during the month of May. Bring good rain gear and pack your extra clothes in ziplock bags. Although we experienced only a few days of rain, when it did rain it poured! I recommend that you book as many gites in advance through email, and use a translation app if necessary. Non-Camino long distance walking in France is very popular and many locals prefer to book in advance. I booked in advance, and several times the gites I stayed at were at capacity. As for gear, no different from the CF, I brought a light indoor sleeping bag and it was fine, although most gites provide a thick blanket. As for gear shops along the Chemin, Caminoloc has stores in both Cahors and Condom (if still operating). French is very common on this route, so learn some basic French, use a translation app, and you will be fine. When in Le Puy, be sure to attend the Pilgrim Mass at 7:00 am in the cathedral and stay to the end for an unforgettable experience of a trap door opening to reveal a descending stairway to begin your pilgrimage!
Brilliant, many thanks.
How many did you book in advance at a time / how long in advance did you book? Example, should I start booking in March for End of April or something like December?

Brilliant, many thanks.
How many did you book in advance at a time / how long in advance did you book? Example, should I start booking in March for End of April or something like December?
Hi again - For both trips I booked in February for my trip in May. I booked all the gites in advance because it removes a fair amount of stress. And when you book, ask if a meal can be provided, called "demi- pension". Most, but not all, gites have a demi-pension option. Take advantage of every one, again to remove a lot of stress about eating. You will absolutely enjoy the communal meals, and you will learn a thing or two from your fellow pilgrims.

Also do a bit of research because there are a few tough climbs on that route and I have no info about your abilities. To put you at ease though, I am in my seventies and I carried my pack.

Another housekeeping chore - keep really good records of your emails and such. Many gîte owners appreciate, or even require, a follow-up confirmation a couple of days before your planned arrival in order to plan meals. Consider getting a SIMM card for Europe, or some type of travel plan. A lot of gîte owners use WhatsApp.

Brilliant, many thanks.
I walked from Le Puy to Conques in late Sept- early October in 2017. I usually didn't book ahead, though I sometimes joined up with a group from Quebec who would call the morning we walked so they could get enough food for us. But in general, I like to walk until I get tired and want to stop. Not having a set place doesn't stress me, in fact, I find it limiting. I carry my own stuff.
I did call ahead when I wanted to stay at the Abbey Bonneville and also to Condom d'Aubrac's village office so they would open the community center for me. (They also opened the cafe for me for supper and for breakfast and packed me a picnic lunch.) My french is not good enough for a phone conversation, so I nabbed an older teenager walking and asked him to call ahead for me, or I asked the tourist office for help.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello! Apologies in advance if this is contained elsewhere. I've searched, and have found lot of info for the Frances and other routes, but have found less packing lists for the Podiensis. I'm planning to go the last week in April 2025 for Le Puy - SJPDP, and was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to share a packing list for that time frame? I understand the subjectivity of this request, but am unsure about weather (seems a toss up, but expect some rain and possible snow), sleeping (liner or bag at this season), as well as the availability of buying a needed item on the trail (or difficulty of finding an outdoorsy store).
I'm a ways off, but a local camping/hiking store is having a sale through Labor Day (US Holiday weekend.)

I walked in Sept/Oct from Le Puy, and though I didn't need it every night, I was glad to have a warm sleeping bag many nights. There are more possibilities for camping along the way in very nice campsites. I met up with some friends who happened to be camping and vacationing in France in Sauges, and the campground there was very nice-- washer and dryers, hot showers, clothes lines, little caravans you could sleep in. It's on the far side of Sauges.

When I walked the CF in 2019 I did not book any albergues in advance. On that walk, I met a Frenchman pilgrim, and we became good friends. We made plans to complete the Via Podiensis but ..... COVID intervened. He kept his ear to the ground over there, and as soon as travel restrictions were lifted we started making reservations, at his recommendation, because he had detected there was a pent-up demand for getting back outdoors. We went, and many times I found myself the only non-European at a gîte. As a matter of fact, at the blessing of the Pilgrims mass in Le Puy, I was the only non-European in the attendance of 300 - 400 pilgrims! It is possible that the 2 year COVID pause forced people to realize that "It's later than you think!" so better not delay a Camino. It seems that all routes have witnessed a surge in popularity

I walked the Le Puy route in the starting the last week of April in 2023. I booked the first two weeks in advance, starting in March, but some places were already full then - starting earlier might give you more choice. There were French holidays on each May weekend so many French take a walking holiday in that month. The French like to reserve ahead so it may be wise to do the same. Assessing the fullness of the gites and popularity of the route, I spent several evenings mid-route booking out the rest of the trip. I had two friends with me that required assurance of a place to stay, so booking ahead was the best solution. I traveled the same route solo in 2013 in same time frame and usually just booked just one day in advance and only had difficulties on a few weekends.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
We walked May/June 2018 and started booking first 10 days through to Conques in December. After Conques booked 2-3 days in advance. We took sleeping bags but my friend sent her's home from Figeac. After that there was only one gite that didn't have bkankets/doona but she was able to hire one at extra cost. Many small villages didn't have any shops/cafe - one day we knew a village had a cafe that should have been open but was closed due to illness so we survived on a chocolate and muesli bar all day! After that we made sure we had food with us.
The food at the gites was excellant and we always took demi-pension when offered - often there was no other eating choices anyway unless you were self catering.
As others have said mostly French people walking - we learnt to include our country of residence (Australia) when we introduced ourselves and that made a huge differene to the language spoken - often their english was far far better than our 'Franglish'😆 but our attempts certainly gave them a good laugh! Only a couple of times we resorted to google translate once we had exhausted our few sentances of conversation.

@tudda fyi Jake there are outdoor stores [not huge ones needless to say but huge is not always better] in a number of smaller towns along the Way including at Saugues, Aumont-Aubrac [an excellent one], Nasbinals, Espalion, Figeac, Cahors, Moissac et al. So, in fact, no great shortage of options keeping in mind that you are in deep rural France … la France profonde👣👣👣

I walked last year starting the last week of April. I booked my whole Camino ( with demi- pension ) ahead probably starting in Jan/ Feb and was glad I did. There were some pilgrims who hadn’t reserved that were stressed to find beds. I had no stress in that regard. The May French holiday walkers are significant. I took a sleeping bag and was glad I did. Rain gear was needed ( not often ) but it did pour as mentioned. I also had a warmer jacket as the mornings were quite cool at the beginning - for me anyway. Learning a few basic French words and phrases would enhance your experience. It was a wonderful and beautiful Camino ( but I found the experience very different from Spain). 90% of the people walking are French. Enjoy! Bon Chemin

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked last year starting the last week of April. I booked my whole Camino ( with demi- pension ) ahead probably starting in Jan/ Feb and was glad I did. There were some pilgrims who hadn’t reserved that were stressed to find beds. I had no stress in that regard. The May French holiday walkers are significant. I took a sleeping bag and was glad I did. Rain gear was needed ( not often ) but it did pour as mentioned. I also had a warmer jacket as the mornings were quite cool at the beginning - for me anyway. Learning a few basic French words and phrases would enhance your experience. It was a wonderful and beautiful Camino ( but I found the experience very different from Spain). 90% of the people walking are French. Enjoy! Bon Chemin
Super helpful thank you

Thanks for this. How did you handle rest days (if you needed them)? Did you find having the whole thing booked up limited certain days of the body called for a rest?

When I set up our time budget I included a rest day every 5-6 walking days. We stayed in Airbnbs and with a friend one time. Another time we only walked 8 km to the next gite - one of us was suffering from blisters and needed a half day. I set up the time budget using the camino planner tool so I could factor distance and elevation changes as well as identify places of interest that might make good stopping points for the evening or for a rest day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I set up our time budget I included a rest day every 5-6 walking days. We stayed in Airbnbs and with a friend one time. Another time we only walked 8 km to the next gite - one of us was suffering from blisters and needed a half day. I set up the time budget using the camino planner tool so I could factor distance and elevation changes as well as identify places of interest that might make good stopping points for the evening or for a rest day.
Cool.

Had not even thought to look for Airbnbs on the route.

Thanks for this. How did you handle rest days (if you needed them)? Did you find having the whole thing booked up limited certain days of the body called for a rest?
I booked in rest days. I stayed an extra day in Conques and in Figeac. I did kayak down the CELE River one day form Marcilhac to Cabrarets so that was a “ rest” day. ( I took the CELE Variant. Highly recommend ) I found it enough as I did have shorter as well as longer days, so the shorter days gave some relief.

My experience is from September. Booked about 3 days in advance thru Conques. After that, you should be able to plan 1-2 days ahead. TIs are in most major towns and can assist with booking, as will some gite owners. Definitely don’t plan long days (the first 10 days aren’t flat, easy walking; allow your body to acclimate). Plus, it’s glorious walking, so take your time and enjoy. Walking sticks are a plus on this route. Plan an extra day in Le Puy before your departure and definitely attend mass the morning you depart….

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello All - I just booked flight to Lyon and depart in 10 days as prices have finally dropped ! I have a list of accommodations etc... but would be grateful for any tips, favourite gites, wild...
When do the gîtes close in the fall? I would like to start in October and may still be walking during November if I become injured and have to slow down. I’ve walked the Camino Francés in the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back