This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

LIVE from the Camino Fuertebrazos on the Camino del Norte

Fuertebrazos

Time of past OR future Camino
I'll be walking just seven days, San Sebastian to Bilbao. It's a warm-up, a test, and perhaps I'll return to do the rest later. I've done Frances, Portugues and a big chunk of Via de La Plata. This feels like the logical next step.

I was worried it would be too hot. No need. I'm underdressed and it's been raining off and on - mostly on - since I arrived.

Got up this morning in San Sebastian and stepped outside to lightning, thunder and sheets of rain. Wandered back to the breakfast area and hung out with a bunch of aged Japanese tourists. Practiced my Japanese and they looked satisfyingly surprised, but the words started to get mixed up with Spanish and their surprise turned to puzzlement.

No letup in the rain, so I took the train to Zarautz and found a cafe to drink coffee and wait for it to stop. It didn't.

Hopped on the bus to Getaria. Walked into the surf up to my waist and discovered that what looked like a sandy bottom was actually rocky and a bit treacherous. Then it started to rain again.

Day 1, total walking was probably less than a couple of kilometers. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Reminds me of the old joke where the traveler asks a boy "Does it always rain in Bergen?" And the boy answers, "I don't know. I'm only 12."

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walked into the surf up to my waist and discovered that what looked like a sandy bottom was actually rocky and a bit treacherous
Good warning ….

No letup in the rain, so I took the train to Zarautz and found a cafe to drink coffee and wait for it to stop. It didn't.
I hope you enjoyed the train travel to Zarautz. At least you’re covering ground in your limited time there.

Maybe tomorrow will be better.
Yes- positive thinking

The Norte is very different to the others you’ve walked. You’ll have fun whether it’s raining or not.

Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was worried it would be too hot. No need. I'm underdressed and it's been raining off and on - mostly on - since I arrived.
I know how you feel, but get to Zumaia early, and come rain, hail or shine VISIT THE BEACH!

Most read last week in this forum