• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Porto to Sāo Pedro Rates or Barcelos transportation

Yopita

Time of past OR future Camino
I will be walking the Camino next month. How do I get from Porto to either Sāo Pedro Rates or Barcelos? Train or bus? I can’t find direct trains. We would like to start walking from Rates, if not possible, we will start n Barcelos. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why not walk from Porto cathedral? Time constraints, or scared off by the bad reputation of the urban path (which isn't too hazardous by any means)

Anyhow, the local metro will take you so far north and is short connection to the camino (Vilar do Pinheiro station), from there you could walk to Rates.

Or catch the train to Barcelos.

Or walk from Porto cathedral to metro stop, like I did, metro back to Porto. Next day, train to where you left off, walk to Rates, stay the night. Then next day, walk to Barcelos.

It's easy enough to work out how the metro line follows the camino with google maps and a Brierley's/guide map. Thats how i managed it.
Brierley's has a chapter explaining an option.

Oh, and time your visit to Barcelos for a Thursday, as they have a large market then. Also there's a 7pm pilgrim mass.

Included some easy to google info, to get you started. Have fun planning!

Attachments

• oporto-valenca-minho-regional-trains (1).pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • eut_____pmv_cmyk_v2 (1).pdf
    988.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be walking the Camino next month. How do I get from Porto to either Sāo Pedro Rates or Barcelos? Train or bus? I can’t find direct trains. We would like to start walking from Rates, if not possible, we will start n Barcelos. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

The Porto metro can take you all the way north to Póvoa de Varzim on the coast. Judging by the map, you can surely then do a short taxi or Uber ride from Póvoa to São Pedro Rates.

The Porto metro can take you all the way north to Póvoa de Varzim on the coast. Judging by the map, you can surely then do a short taxi or Uber ride from Póvoa to São Pedro Rates.
Another possible option.

Although I'm.sure that OP, , with knowledge of the metro map, will come up.with a solution.
I miss those days, planning is half the fun!

Oh, I found my brieley's book, regarding a metro short cut. Will post photos

Attachments

• 20240814_090454.jpg
    20240814_090454.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240814_090445.jpg
    20240814_090445.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240814_090554.jpg
    20240814_090554.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Another possible option.

Although I'm.sure that OP, , with knowledge of the metro map, will come up.with a solution.
I miss those days, planning is half the fun!

Oh, I found my brieley's book, regarding a metro short cut. Will post photos
Thank you very much for this info. Is my first Camino in Portugal, I have walked from St Jean to Santiago before, but this time due to time limitations, I have to skip some stages.

Fait enough...
It's just that the start of the central path out of Porto is given a bad rap, and I don't want you to dismiss it completely if you had the time. And the metro was easy to use.

Anyhow, that leaves 2 main options.
1) Train directly to Barcelos
2) Metro to Povoa/Vila conde/?, then uber/taxi to Rates.
There maybe another idea, tried by a fellow pilgrim on these forums.

Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time spent in Portugal 🇵🇹

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
Unfortunately I’ve become too ill to continue—I have a flight from Madrid on Sept 19. Can anyone suggest a safe and quiet hotel in Madrid for tonight and tomorrow? I’m so sad I can’t Go on. I’ll...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hi everyone. I’m flying back to Chicago from Madrid after walking the CF in late November. I’ll be taking a cab to a hotel near CDG airport to fly out next day. It appears to be a long distance...
Hey everyone, this is just a heads-up that I'll be heading to Camino in the first week of October. My flight from the US to Madrid will arrive at 7:20 p.m. The last trip to Sarria is at 8:23 p.m...
Hello, I am new here. My husband and I plan to walk the Camino in Spring of 2025. In preparation of this I have been researching and reading. I came across a map which was interactive. It showed...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back