• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From CDG airport to Bayonne

frank john

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2016
October-November 2024
I’m trying to find the easiest way to get to Bayonne via train from Charles de Gaul airport. I arrive in Paris at 7:30 AM. October 21. Need to be at SJDP by evening.
Would you recommend I get tickets now, given potential delays in flight? I know this is easy for those who have done this, but I’ve never gone on Camino via Paris.
Thinks for your guidance.
Frank

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
2 Options:

1: Fly from CDG to Biarritz, Bus to Bayonne, Train to St.Jean
2: Train/Metro from CDG to Montparnass, Train to Bayonne, Train to St.Jean

its a bit dependent where you come from, but with both options you should be able to arrive in St.Jean on the same day.

Would you recommend I get tickets now, given potential delays in flight? I know this is easy for those who have done
I would get tickets now, yes. As pointed out by @Anhalter trains are leaving Montparnasse station at about noon and 2 o'clock on Oct.21 and that should be ample time.

There's always a small risk that connections could go awry when you're coming from a long distance but 4 to 6 hours is a good buffer. But make sure you're accommodation at SJPP will let you check in late.

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I think whatever you do, you'd have to buy them in advance. You probably spent more time doing this, but a quick look at Rome to Rio said the only train that gets you to SJPP leaves CDG at 8:09.
While R2R is nice for a quick glance, please don't use it as your only source. It does not list all options.
For example, on Oct. 21st there is a train from Montparnasse at 12:04 (arriving 18:18 in St.Jean) and i'd think 4,5h should be plenty to get from the Airport to Montparnasse. Even if that fails, theres another connection leaving Montparnasse at 14:00.

While R2R is nice for a quick glance, please don't use it as your only source. It does not list all options.
For example, on Oct. 21st there is a train from Montparnasse at 12:04 (arriving 18:18 in St.Jean) and i'd think 4,5h should be plenty to get from the Airport to Montparnasse. Even if that fails, theres another connection leaving Montparnasse at 14:00.
OK, I see that. Thanks. When I did my first search coming from CDG, R2R only shows the 809 train. When, instead you just put in Paris, it shows the Montparnasse trains at noon and 2 o'clock. The OP asked for trains, not planes. So I think he can definitely make it and I'm going to change my comment to reflect that.

And I know Rome to Rio isn't completely reliable, which is why I qualified my statements by saying if there isn't another train. But thanks for helping me get better-quality answers next time.

Last edited:
All these are great ideas. Where do I get tickets? When I looked, very costly and TWO changes!!! Any direct train from montparnesse to Bilbao?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And I know Rome to Rio isn't completely reliable
I think i may have found the problem: When i put in the info at the SNCF website, they tell me the local train schedules are not published until 30d prior to departure, so that might fuss with R2R's results.
All these are great ideas. Where do I get tickets? When I looked, very costly and TWO changes!!! Any direct train from montparnesse to Bilbao?
You want to go to Bilbao or Bayonne? Train Montparnasse to Bayonne is direct one, look at https://www.sncf-connect.com/en-en/
As i said, regional train from airport is not bookable yet, so get your ticket from Montparnasse first, regional train later.

as @Anhalter pointed out the SNCF Connect site is normally the best place for French train tickets. Train tickets are expensive in France. Spain is usually cheaper.

And usually, you have to change trains if you're crossing an international border, such as going to Bilbao. I did not check, though.

I found when you were looking for train tickets, (or any kind of tickets ) it's best to just research a lot of websites and apps for your best prices and best connections. Some other places to look might be websites and apps like Trainline, Omio, or even sometimes Google Maps. Renfe.es in Spain.

Last edited:
There is no direct train from Montparnasse to Bilbao. You can only get to the border at Hendaye on SCNF. There are several options from there to get to Bilbao.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I’m trying to find the easiest way to get to Bayonne via train from Charles de Gaul airport. I arrive in Paris at 7:30 AM. October 21. Need to be at SJDP by evening.
Would you recommend I get tickets now, given potential delays in flight? I know this is easy for those who have done this, but I’ve never gone on Camino via Paris.
Thinks for your guidance.
In 2023 I arrived at CDG late, spent the night in Paris, and next morning took the train to Bayonne, and then another train to SJPDP. I booked ahead which I found beneficial. The train to Bayonne was a beautiful journey through French countryside.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon)...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
I hope I am posting this in the right subject section. My annual multi-trip travel insurance has a limit on the duration of any one trip of 45 days. Any claim must include evidence of departure...
Hi , I’ll be travelling from Madrid Charmartin to Sarria on Oct2024 to start my first Camino! And when I search the information in the forums find that the train from Ourense to Sarria is under...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hope I am posting at the right place -- five of us will complete the Camino and plan to rent a car, drive to Tui, then drop off the car there, and walk aross the bridge to Vanlensa and pick up a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back