Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Days from SJPDP to Pamplona

Carsonian

Time of past OR future Camino
October-November 2024
Hello everyone,

I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st.

I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route.

1. I will only be able to take the 6:37pm train to SJPDP, arriving at 7:43pm. Will I have time to get to the Pilgrim's office before closing? Should I book accommodation at a private albergue ahead of time so if I don't have a passport I am ok? What is the best place to book or should I just check on booking.com and choose one I like?

2. Should I walk to Roncesvalles on the 22nd? Or should I take an extra night in Bayonne or SJPDP and start on the 23rd. I want to make sure I get enough time to prepare and do the things in SJPDP I should do, like pilgrims office and such. Do I have time to do those in the morning and still have time to get to Roncesvalles in time? I want to book Orreaga-Roncesvalles and need to decide on a night to book. I was also considering staying in Borda because they have a bed available for the 22nd but I think I would prefer to go to Roncesvalles if it works logistically.

3. Should I book all my Albergues up until Pamplona? I have heard that is a good thing to do. What are the best ones to book? I would like to do this so I don't have to worry and can just do the walks.

4. After Pamplona how much do I need to book? I would ideally like to just stay in Public Albergues and not book anything, just walk however far I want and stay wherever I end up. How feasible is this?

Any other ideas, thoughts, suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola

The time you are waliking in will have fewer pilgrims on the road and in my experience you dont have to book ahead, but I still would book a bed in Roncesvalles and the dinner.

You are arriving late in Bayonne and there might be delays along your way, so I would say; take an extra day.
Book a bed for the night in Bayonne and the 22 you take the train to Saint Jean and have a relaxing day there - see the church, pilgrim office, other pilgrims arriving and so on.
Depending on where you are from you will recover from any tiredness from your travel.
Some people who come early actually go for a test walk up the road, just to see how it is :)

If you start at 8 or so most people wil have no problem getting to Roncesvalles, depending on the weather.
There are two ways you can take -the Napoleon over the mountain top or the Valcarlos in the valley.
Both are lovley and you will have to ask the pilgrim office in SJPDP what they think is the best way. They will advice depending on the weather conditions.

After Roncesvalles I wouldnt book if I were you, but you will know once you start your walk how busy it is and adjust acordingly.
Don't worry too much :)
Just go slow the first week and for now focus on getting all your gear together and get yourself to SJPDP.
The rest will unfold for you a day at the time on your Camino.

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino.
Lettinggo

Last edited:
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I second what @lettinggo said. Keep it more relaxed and stay a night in Bayonne then take the train to SJPP the next day. Not sure where you’re coming from but if it’s from across the pond (US/CANADA eg) then that will be more relaxed with jetlag too.

You’ll be walking in late Oct/Nov and that’s definitely a quieter season. Yes, a lot of albergues close at the end of October, but there will always be something open. Many of the public albergues stay open year round on the CF (except possibly around Christmas.) Gronze.com is usually pretty good about updating when albergues are open/closed. But I would say you don’t need to pre-book your albergues along the way once you leave SJPP. Roncesvalles has a ton of beds and at that time of year I am sure they will not be full!

Take it a day at a time, enjoy the walk!

Hello everyone,

I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st.

Good advice already given.
I walked in April-May and I rarely booked. Your situation is obviously differrent. But from that experience, when you do need to book, don't be too reliant on booking.com. There are better lodging resources on the camino apps.

Yes - have a night in Bayonne - there is a great little hostel close to the train station - Hostal 20 - get the morning train to SJPP and enjoy this lovely little town. The municipal albergue there is excellent- I think it opens at 2 pm or thereabouts.
Use Gronze.com or one of the Camino apps to find all levels of accommodation and what is open at that time of year.
Blessings and Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Hello Carsonian.
If I were to start on the 21st of October, I wouldn't worry about booking ahead. There are so many places for sleeping, and the Camino should not be too crowded in late October.
I am on my way to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port at this moment, and will arrive by train tomorrow afternoon, to start walking on Friday 13th of September. I have booked in SJPDP and Roncesvalles since I know that a lot of people walk now. Anyway I hope I will manage without more bookings on the Camino, but that is still to find out.
Don't worry too much, enjoy!
Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
Hi, We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it. We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back