• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

FEVE Ferrol to Santander

Bedspring

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
I am going to fly back from Santander.
I would like to take the FEVE along the coast from A Coruna or Ferol to Santander.
Previously when I have asked RENFE staff about FEVE I have drawn a blank.
I suspect I will need to go to an actual FEVE station to get information.
However I wondered if anyone on here has any information

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
FEVE is considered as an urban (Cercanias) version of rail lines and the trains are broadly similar in they are slow moving with fewer passengers (I was one of two on one section).

You can find the timetables / route maps here.

There was another question earlier today about the same issue. You may find an Alsa bus quicker than the slow FEVE.

Ferrol to Santander via Oviedo.
When I took this option years ago ( Santander to Ferrol ) I was only able to buy at the ticket booth ( did this day before taking the train ).

Renfe Feve is now known as Renfe Cercanias AM.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We went from Ferrol to Santander with a stop to see the Playa de los Catedrales (spent the night). Long, slow and wonderful is the perfect description!
"Long, slow and wonderful"... sounds like a perfect recipe for many things that come to mind.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Much of the rickety narrow gauge FEVE network closely follows the Norte, it's a really lovely way to see Northern Spain as long as you're in no hurry and aren't expecting to do it in a seamless journey.. lots of connections, all part of the adventure!

Like they said up above - a complete delight. It also has a slightly amateur charm - the driver and train manager stopping off for a cigarette break, the young lady who got on in the mountains and got off at the coast along with her surf board . . . .
Think you'd have to get an ordinary train or bus from Coruna to Ferrol as the FEVE starts at Ferrol.
This time last year I spent a week on it and the total cost Ferrol to Bilbao was about 50€.
Ribadesella. is a good place (among many) to spend a day or two - great ice cream parlour.
Here's the route map - you'll see them on most stations (some of which are just bus shelters)
Buen viaje!

Attachments

• 20230611_095836.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 58
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is what we wrote on our blog about the FEVE and the long trip we took on it after walking part of the Norte and then the Ruta de Cantrabico in 2019:

There’s a wonderful little train called the Feve that was never too far away from our walking route this year. It’s mostly used by commuters and stops in every town, large or tiny, that it goes through. It’s rare to see anyone get on the train with luggage.

On Monday morning, we boarded the Feve in Espasante. It is over a six hour ride on the Feve from there to Gijón. We went through about 85 stations. We probably stopped at 70% of those. (They don’t stop if no one is waiting or needs to get off.) We were expecting a long tiring train ride where we’d keep ourselves amused the way we do on airplanes: reading, listening to books or music, doing puzzles.

Turned out it seemed pretty fast and we got a kick out of going backwards through all the little towns we had walked through. We talked about what we remembered about each place. A few times we were able to spot the place where we had stayed or where something else memorable happened.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I rode the Feve from Luarca to Ferrol last year and it was really enjoyable. I bought my ticket onboard as there was nobody in the station at Luarca (and it was all locked up). At Ferrol there should be no issue buying the ticket before boarding as it is a large enough station.

Most of the time there weren’t more than half a dozen people on my train. Bring food/snacks and drinks as there is no service onboard.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Over 60s get a 40% discount with a Tarjeta Dourado which costs 6 € for a year. What's the rush?

Most read last week in this forum