• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

FEVE Ferrol to Santander

Bedspring

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
I am going to fly back from Santander.
I would like to take the FEVE along the coast from A Coruna or Ferol to Santander.
Previously when I have asked RENFE staff about FEVE I have drawn a blank.
I suspect I will need to go to an actual FEVE station to get information.
However I wondered if anyone on here has any information

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
FEVE is considered as an urban (Cercanias) version of rail lines and the trains are broadly similar in they are slow moving with fewer passengers (I was one of two on one section).

You can find the timetables / route maps here.

There was another question earlier today about the same issue. You may find an Alsa bus quicker than the slow FEVE.

Ferrol to Santander via Oviedo.
When I took this option years ago ( Santander to Ferrol ) I was only able to buy at the ticket booth ( did this day before taking the train ).

Renfe Feve is now known as Renfe Cercanias AM.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We went from Ferrol to Santander with a stop to see the Playa de los Catedrales (spent the night). Long, slow and wonderful is the perfect description!
"Long, slow and wonderful"... sounds like a perfect recipe for many things that come to mind.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Much of the rickety narrow gauge FEVE network closely follows the Norte, it's a really lovely way to see Northern Spain as long as you're in no hurry and aren't expecting to do it in a seamless journey.. lots of connections, all part of the adventure!

Like they said up above - a complete delight. It also has a slightly amateur charm - the driver and train manager stopping off for a cigarette break, the young lady who got on in the mountains and got off at the coast along with her surf board . . . .
Think you'd have to get an ordinary train or bus from Coruna to Ferrol as the FEVE starts at Ferrol.
This time last year I spent a week on it and the total cost Ferrol to Bilbao was about 50€.
Ribadesella. is a good place (among many) to spend a day or two - great ice cream parlour.
Here's the route map - you'll see them on most stations (some of which are just bus shelters)
Buen viaje!

Attachments

• 20230611_095836.jpg
    20230611_095836.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Video of FEVE train from Ferrol.

Can buy tickets using FEVE app. Very useful if you plan to make stops enroute

This is what we wrote on our blog about the FEVE and the long trip we took on it after walking part of the Norte and then the Ruta de Cantrabico in 2019:

There’s a wonderful little train called the Feve that was never too far away from our walking route this year. It’s mostly used by commuters and stops in every town, large or tiny, that it goes through. It’s rare to see anyone get on the train with luggage.

On Monday morning, we boarded the Feve in Espasante. It is over a six hour ride on the Feve from there to Gijón. We went through about 85 stations. We probably stopped at 70% of those. (They don’t stop if no one is waiting or needs to get off.) We were expecting a long tiring train ride where we’d keep ourselves amused the way we do on airplanes: reading, listening to books or music, doing puzzles.

Turned out it seemed pretty fast and we got a kick out of going backwards through all the little towns we had walked through. We talked about what we remembered about each place. A few times we were able to spot the place where we had stayed or where something else memorable happened.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am going to fly back from Santander. I would like to take the FEVE along the coast from A Coruna or Ferol to Santander. Previously when I have asked RENFE staff about FEVE I have drawn a blank...
Hi, has anyone here stayed at Hostelfly? It looks walkable from T2. Or is it very busy roads with no sidewalks? My flight arrives late afternoon, then thinking of getting the Alsa bus next...
Hi Everyone New to this forum and appreciating it. I arrive in Bilbao on 28th August at around 9.30 am and planning to get to SJPD in one day. The alternatives, I've researched so far include a...
I'm just about to start my journey tomorrow 25th June flying into Bilbao which arrives in the afternoon hope to out of the airport by 3/30pm . Planning to catch a coach a from Bilbao via San...
Hello, my name is Stephanie and I will walk my first Camino Sept. I’m having difficulty finding trains from Santiago once I am done to get back to Lisbon. Thoughts??
Hey everyone, setting out on the camino and was hoping to get some insight on best and/or cheapest way to get from biarritz to SJPP. I know you can take a taxi there but unsure how much that would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back