• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Favorite end of day shoes

VeganCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Frances from Saint Jean Pied du Port to Burgos, starting in June.
Hello friends. What are your favorite second pair of shoes to bring? Last time I had flip flops and a summer sandal. This time I'm going in October. Suggestions for a comfy post hike shoe that I could walk around town in, even in the rain?

Tall order I know.

Thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
ECCO adjustable hiking sandals which you can also use for hiking. With a good pair of wool hiking socks I can do 25 km in these sandals but also wear them in the evenings for comfort. I agree with markie6 above. They’re a good alternative if it’s hot or if you have blisters.

1722676415088.png

Last edited:
Crocs flip flops (my foot is too narrow for slip ons of any kind). Used them to shower and walk in town many kms. They massage the feet and ultralight. Purchased in black half a size larger.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another vote for sandals. Mine are Teva's, but frankly the brand is immaterial. As always comfort is King.
On a hiking trail when I know I have a number of river crossings I simply put on my Teva's, so a little bit of rain on Camino isn't going to worry them one bit!
I too wear them with socks on the odd occasion that I use them on Camino (particularly hot days for instance, or just simply to give my feet a break).

My goto 'evening shoes' are Salomon Techamphibian 3s. They are a mesh shoe with a closed toe so I don't get that socks with sandals look. Vanity, I know, but there you have it.

I did use sandals on my first camino, but got blisters with them. I then got an earlier version of the Techamphibian that went to my sister when she bought a pair of shoes that were too small for her feet on a long walk we were doing together. She still wears those, and I have the newer model.

On the CP in 2022, I tried a Dunlop beach shoe that is slightly lighter than the Techamphibian, but it let too much water in when walking on wet surfaces. After that I returned to using my trustworthy Techamphibians.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have big feet (size 14 us) so I am somewhat limited. But over the years, I've learned to really appreciate Mephisto. They are expensive but very comfortable and good for walking as well as evening alternatives.

Check out Toms shoes. They are super comfortable and weigh next to nothing. Also for every pair of Toms that are sold they give a pair away to someone in need.
They have given over 100 million pairs of shoes away.
Extend that camino "heart and spirit"
They are the company to support.

I have big feet (size 14 us) so I am somewhat limited. But over the years, I've learned to really appreciate Mephisto. They are expensive but very comfortable and good for walking as well as evening alternatives.
As you were posting this, I posted about Toms. I checked out their loafers and they are many times more expensive than the Toms are. They would probably last longer but not 4 or 5 times longer and you are supporting a company that has given away 1/3 of their profits. Take a look at my posting just above here.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I have various crocs I have taken. For winter months I prefer the full shoe (Crocs on the Clock model). I also have a model that is similar but with an open back. I am wearing mine for cleaning and running the albergue, but also prefer them for a pilgrim evening shoe. They can be bulky, but I prefer them to a less cushioned sandal or flip flop.

Crocs sandals work for me. Being plastic they’re good in the shower, they dry quickly and are OK for walking around in the evening.

I’ve never tried walking much more than 3km in them so can’t comment on covering distance in them.

I only ever have two pairs of footwear with me, one for walking and the Croc sandals.

Hello friends. What are your favorite second pair of shoes to bring? Last time I had flip flops and a summer sandal. This time I'm going in October. Suggestions for a comfy post hike shoe that I could walk around town in, even in the rain?

Tall order I know.

Thank you.
Without a doubt my fav ´evening shoes’ are CROCS. They are super light,durable, cushy, great for in the Albergue, the shower, and on the street because your toes are protected. The only down sides-you have to be strapped to your pack’s exterior (but this makes them super quick to access when its time to change out of your walking shoes), and they are pretty darn ugly!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

Tall order I know.

Thank you.

I used to bring crocs but found they are a bit bulky even though light. I found a fabulous shoe called “AllBirds” (tree lounger model). They are super light, comfortable, breathable and pack nicely. They are made of natural fibres (eucalyptus tree fibre) and recycled materials. You can wear them in the water and they dry fast. They are also my daily go-to slip on shoe at home.

Whatever alternative footwear you bring, it should be able to do double or triple-duty. Most items you carry should have multiple uses to justify the carry-weight and volume.

For alternative footwear, I opine that it should be able to be:
1. worn in a shower to prevent foot fungus, etc. - so they need to be able to dry overnight.
2. worn wet, as an around town item to relax in, and
3. if need be, be worn in lieu of your primary footwear to walk during the day, in the event of ill-placed blisters or bruises.

A good pair of hiking sandals that can get wet and dry relatively fast seem to be the "sweet spot" for this. I carry an old pair of Ecco hiking sandals that I have packed an used for a decade now.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Crocs. Or more accurately a cheap knock-off version of them.
I have a pair and I've been wearing them around the house, but they don't seem very comfortable. I think great for the showers and maybe inside the albergues.

Teva Hurricane Drift sandals. Weigh only 7 ozs.
Thank you. I've tried those and there's one buckle on the top of the foot that rubs so badly. Maybe I could modify it? I think there is no perfect shoe 👟 🤔

Crocs (the real deal) with a pair of thin socks worked really well for my friend and I on our first Camino through hot and cold weather. If you are in a top bunk you can take them up with you and can slip them on very easily for going down the ladder-those aching feet …Bulky but very light.

My Altra Olympus trail runners. So comfortable I usually wore them at night too, even though I had (fake) crocs with me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Can't stand sandals (and for some reason, can't keep them on my feet regardless). Bringing a pair of very light "court shoes" (very much like "standard" running shoes, supportive and airy). Bulkier than I'd like, but nothing's perfect.

As for potential shower issues, the last time I've had an infection on my feet from public showers was almost forty years ago, so I'm risking it. If you're worried 'bout that, bring a few isopropyl alcohol swabs and let your feet have it after a shower and before you put your evening footwear on. I have to bring 'em for other reasons anyways, so that's my plan.

I may also bring a slip-on pair of fabric slippers, which I normally bring when traveling, but I'm trying to be conscious of extra weight. Still mulling that one over.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My Altra Olympus trail runners. So comfortable I usually wore them at night too, even though I had (fake) crocs with me.
Cool. I have the lone peak and another one with the "high" thickness. The Olympus looks like the heel has a lot of shoe material there. Does it bother your Achilles? It seems too high for me.

ECCO adjustable hiking sandals which you can also use for hiking. With a good pair of wool hiking socks I can do 25 km in these sandals but also wear them in the evenings for comfort. I agree with markie6 above. They’re a good alternative if it’s hot or if you have blisters.

View attachment 175587
I had those and walked much of my 2019 Camino in them, but I got a new pair and they are rubbing in the front and one buckle. 🤔

I was very happy with these super lightweight Puma sandals - €12 or so, comfy, cheap & cheerful 😀 IMG_8197.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
my go-tos, which can also be worn on the path. And they are currently on sale.

I have a pair and I've been wearing them around the house, but they don't seem very comfortable. I think great for the showers and maybe inside the albergues.
I get plantar fasciitis if I don't have proper arch support. Someone gifted me a pair of Crocs and I had to give them away after being in agony after about half an hour of wearing them.

I carry lightweight cheap sandals from the China store AND a pair of non-hiking casual shoes like these:

I mean, you gotta walk around in cities, like to the supermarket. laundromat, pharmacy. Gotta look cool. (@dougfitz)

I know I know they are heavy but they are a luxury item. Love the chucks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For me, Teva or Merrell walking sandals. Try different models. 😉

These do not have any buckles. They are all one piece and plastic. Zoom in on the foto. I know exactly what you mean about the others.

Since I am carrying these all day until the end - the weight is a big factor.

Crocs sandals work for me. Being plastic they’re good in the shower, they dry quickly and are OK for walking around in the evening.

I’ve never tried walking much more than 3km in them so can’t comment on covering distance in them.

I only ever have two pairs of footwear with me, one for walking and the Croc sandals.
Yes me too for Crocs, but I cut out the toes for more comfort. A big consideration for me was their light weight so I could travel for a month on Greek Islands with only "cabin bag" which was a must not only for planes but also on ferries.

Obviously pilgrims have similar considerations

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Cool. I have the lone peak and another one with the "high" thickness. The Olympus looks like the heel has a lot of shoe material there. Does it bother your Achilles? It seems too high for me.
The sole is very thick (that’s why they are so comfortable) but the ankle height is just the normal height for shoes so no Achilles issues at all.

I take black Teva sandals and wear black socks with them for the evenings. They don't look too daggy.

I had those and walked much of my 2019 Camino in them, but I got a new pair and they are rubbing in the front and one buckle. 🤔
If you're otherwise happy with them, don't be afraid to just cut a couple of pieces of moleskin to fit under the parts that are rubbing. Easier/cheaper than getting a whole new pair of shoes. (I understand that, depending on where the rubbing's happening, you might not be able to easily cut pieces of moleskin to fit, but it's worth a think, at least...).

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I have used Luna sandals both in summer and late winter/early spring. I will happily wear my toe socks with them.

Lightweight EVA Birkenstocks.
Absolutely love them. Super lightweight, comfortable and some support. Adjustable for none or any weight socks. And they come in a fabulous variety of colors (I got kind of carried away). I have silver ones with me on this Camino--for formal occasions I accessorize with silver earrings.

my go-tos, which can also be worn on the path. And they are currently on sale.

I tried their slide version and they rubbed the sides of my feet raw. I love the arch support and the light weight though. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tall order I know.

Thank you.
I found my hiking sandals a suitable second pair of footwear on my last October Camino. We'll see how they do in my upcoming November Camino.

I found my hiking sandals a suitable second pair of footwear on my last October Camino. We'll see how they do in my upcoming November Camino.
Which route are you walking?

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17

View attachment 175587
You walk with these sandals instead of hiking shoes? I bought a pair for the evenings and they weight 660 grams....adding to the 11 kg weight of the bag, I had taken tongs for the showers but walking in old towns and long distances just doesn't cut it.

Tall order I know.

Thank you.
For me, Merrell Gore Tex hiking shoes, followed by Merrell sandals and a good foot oil = happy feet at the end of every day.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17

Tall order I know.

Thank you.
Crocs.

I used to carry lightweight Keen "water shoes" when I used boots. But now that I've switched to trail runners (Topo Ultraventure) with quick dry uppers, I just change socks after my shower and put the same old shoes back on. I've found them to be so comfortable and light, I don't need evening shoes anymore. If they're filthy, I do give them a cleaning rather than muddy up a restaurant if I can avoid it. I do, however have a pair of really cheap flip-flops for walking around an albergue and using in the shower when necessary. But they are so flimsy I wouldn't consider them for walking around town.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took Xero sandals because they take up very little real-estate. They exceeded my expectations. No option that I know of that doesn't eat up a lot of space. My feet like the cool air in the evening as well.

Last year I took Allbirds but I didn’t like how quickly the tread wore out. I’m now using Geox shoes that are lightweight and double as a great urban walking shoe that looks good with pants and shorts
IMG_8386.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.