• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

EU airline passenger rights

Scott Fraser

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 17&18; Podiensis 19, VdlP exSalamanca 22
A few weeks ago after completing the Camino Portuguese I was scheduled to fly back to the US on Iberia from Madrid. Our departure was delayed numerous times, and I eventually arrived at my destination 10 hours after the originally scheduled arrival.

About six hours into the delayed departure I decided to Google “EU airline passenger rights” and much to my surprise I found that they are many instances where EU based airlines are required to pay compensation to passengers who are delayed, denied boarding or subjected to flight cancellations. More info on details here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

As directed by the EU regs I filed a complaint with Iberia and within days Iberia adjudicated the complaint and awarded me Eu 600. It was fast and easy.

The flight delay was Iberia’s bad, they’re handling of the complaint could not have been better.

Pilgrims traveling by air to and from the Camino should be aware of these rights and exercise them when appropriate.

Note: the first thing that popped up on the above referenced Google search was a series of sponsored ads for companies who will handle claims for you. The fees are high, 35%. My experience is that this is one thing where it pays to do it yourself.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
As directed by the EU regs I filed a complaint with Iberia and within days Iberia adjudicated the complaint and awarded me Eu 600. It was fast and easy.
Glad to hear that everything went smoothly (at least with the compensation). My personal experiences are a bit different, and i heard not just one story of the airline fighting tooth and nail to not having to pay. No experience with Iberia, maybe they are the exception to the rule. With Lufthansa, which some still regard as a quality airline, i had to get a collection letter (that the right term?) from court to have them cough up the money.

Anyways, good info to share.

I had an issue with Vueling which I mentioned earlier in June. I did have a few hoops to jump through including referring the matter to arbitration.

I was only looking for the cost of the alternative flight I had to book, but got €250 compensation on top. If only they had sorted the problem earlier, they wouldn't have needed to pay the compensation - but it comes automatically if the airline has broken EU rules.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Delighted you did it yourself. I tried the same with a Austrian earlier this year and got the typical airline runaround. I put the matter with ‘flightright’ at 30% commission and got the balance paid in ten days.

Something very similar happened two weeks ago to my son leaving from here: his flight was delayed by one day. The reason was quite surprising to me: one of the cabin crew didn't show up and therefore, after a few hours waiting, they had to cancel the flights of 14 random people because of "safety issues". I guess that for each cabin crew missing, a certain number of passengers must be denied flying because it is impossible to attend the evacuation for everyone.

Results: 500 euros in his bank account a few days later. Iberia Express this time. Not bad!

Let me add that Iberia has improved quite a bit in recent years (and I fly with them regularly). I remember a terrible fight with an extremely rude checkin attendant years ago at FCO (Rome). But lately they have been improving. A lot.

Flights are always on time, and although they don't have the kind of faux mannered courtesy that you see in other countries, they do solve your problems in the end.

Which is what counts.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum