• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Electronic-iPhone-Power Bank

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Nitecore 10,000 is the lightest for the power. And very small. Not cheap though. (I bought it for those trips when ‘every gram counts’.) There are also some well known brands that are cheaper - and well reviewed.

Don’t buy a power bank with integrated cords - bound to fail.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You just need a bank that gives you one or maybe two charges and by a cheap one!
have carried one on all my Caminos and keep it fully charged;never had to use it 😁
Found this online (i thought the limit was 20000mah this says different)

Power banks are generally allowed on most airlines, but they are subject to certain safety rules and regulations. The International Air Transport Association (IATA) has published guidelines for using batteries in air travel. In general, power banks are limited to 100 watt-hours (Wh) or 27,000 mAh combined, and passengers can bring a maximum of two rechargeable batteries. Power banks must be carried in carry-on luggage and not checked baggage due to lithium battery risks.

As others have suggested the cheapest one that you can currently find.

My 3-year-old No Name 6000mAh charger gives my old iPhone 7 two complete charges.
Any 10,000 will give any modern iPhone at least two charges.

Need to take my IPhone. Looking for a power pack - Portable lightweight Charger abt 10000 . Any recommendations?
I recommend first finding out how much electricity it takes to completely charge your smartphone. Then buy a power pack that can charge your phone completely, one or two times.

There is no need to buy anything with addition capacity. Larger capacity is heavier. Weight is the enemy.

Even an older phone, with reduced battery efficiency, will only need to be topped off once during the day.

I have a six-year old iPhone XR (2018), now at only 80 percent battery efficiency, that only needs one on- the-fly recharge if I run a mapping program all day. As I have become good at just following the yellow arrows, I generally do not need to run apps continuously.

That leaves the second part of the battery pack in case you get caught without a working, or available, outlet at night.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
True, normally 10000 max and must be in your hand luggage so that it can be checked. In hand luggage also means that any battery fire can be spotted and extinguished quickly.
I’ve flown many times between the US and México with an Anker 20,000 in my carry on and neither TSA or MX security has ever questioned it. Overkill for the Camino, however, as it is waaay too heavy.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Need to take my IPhone. Looking for a power pack - Portable lightweight Charger abt 10000 . Any recommendations?
I had an old iPhone, and I just got a brand-new battery for it right before my last Camino. I did have a power bank with me, but I ended up shipping it ahead because I only used it once. Of course, everybody's usage is different.

The thing I did get that was invaluable was a European-specced charger so I didn't have to mess around with the plug adapter

Last edited:
The limit for taking onboard is 100Wh, which is much larger/heavier than you'd want to carry with you anyway. A well-regarded brand like Anker with 6-10,000mAh capacity and a USB C PD socket for faster charging is all you need, and even the latter criteria is optional. It's very rare to not be able to charge your phone from a wall outlet once a day.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
A couple of months ago I would have said anything from Anker would suit but, having left my PB in a hotel in Berlin I replaced it with a super cheap one from a UK chain called Home Bargains - you no doubt have something similar in the US?
It cost $12 for a 10000mah and looks exactly like the Anker one (my daughter has hers) but at half the cost so . . . badge branding?
First of all look into power saving - switch off any apps not needed, put it on aircraft mode etc.
My Android apps can be set to limit the amount of drain. At the moment I have 59% charge which, the phone tells me, should last 1d 9h. If I switch to "limit apps" the battery will last 3d 11h - surely long enough to get it recharged somewhere?

This may be of interest for iphone users

I have an iPhone 13 mini, and used a LOGiiX Piston Power Mag Slim Magnetic Power Bank. Only 5000mAH but that is 2-3 charges for my phone. More importantly, it is mag safe, so I didn't have to mess with cables while charging the phone, and it is slim and light so even with it on the phone it would still fit in my pocket. (You will still need a cable and adapter to charge it.)

Contrary to what someone else said about not needing a mid-day charger, if you have a new regular or Pro iPhone that might be true, but the smaller battery of the iPhone mini won't last a long day of GPS app work. And, of course, if your night time charging fails for some reason, you're screwed without a power bank no matter what phone you have.

The LOGiiX was fine. I also have Anker products, and think they are good. If you have an iPhone mini and want to go with a MagSafe device, note that not all MagSafe chargers are suitable for the small size of the mini.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I never brought one and never ran out of power. Not a necessity
I think that totally depends on your phone and your usage. I take quite a few photos, with any kind of map app on (even in airplane mode) my old iPhone 7 simply will not last the day. And I had two occasions where I simply could not charge it in the evening.

I have been using this for travel. No oriblem with airlines as long as you take it in your carry on...I had an "oops" in checked luggage in Chaing Rai, but they were nice about it.
Portable Charger Power Bank 25800mAh,Ultra-High Capacity PD3.0 Fast Phone Charging with Newest Intelligent Controlling IC,3 USB Port External Cell Phone Battery Pack Compatible with iPhone,Android etc https://a.co/d/eiTGDiC

I have been using this for travel. No oriblem with airlines as long as you take it in your carry on...I had an "oops" in checked luggage in Chaing Rai, but they were nice about it.
Portable Charger Power Bank 25800mAh,Ultra-High Capacity PD3.0 Fast Phone Charging with Newest Intelligent Controlling IC,3 USB Port External Cell Phone Battery Pack Compatible with iPhone,Android etc https://a.co/d/eiTGDiC
Definitely overkill and too much weight for the Camino.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I had an old iPhone, and I just got a brand-new battery for it right before my last Camino. I did have a power bank with me, but I ended up shipping it ahead because I only used it once. Of course, everybody's usage is different.

The thing I did get though that was invaluable was a European charger so I didn't have to mess around with plugs.
Getting an European power bank is a great idea!

Getting an European power bank is a great idea!
The power bank is the same - whether European or North American. It will connect with a USB cable to your phone, or to a charger that you plug into the wall.

The charger can be the same one that you use for your phone, although the cable may be different for charging the phone vs. power bank. The charger can have European round pins, or it can have North American flat pins with a simple adaptor.

As an AMAZON Vine reviewer I get lots of free product for evaluation. I can't count how many power packs I've evaluated. Probably the most important feature that I found that differentiates them for the backpacker is whether or not they shut off automatically when the phone is fully charged. Apparently, some manufacturers think this is a good idea. I'm guessing because it extends batter life. Whether or not that's true I don't know.

However, I like to plug my phone in and keep it continuously charged during the day and not have to keep pushing the button on the battery to get it working again. Also, I've been in situations where I don't have access to electricity at night (not very often but it has happened) and I want to have a fully charged phone in the morning. Having to press the button on a battery every few hours doesn't work for me.

After testing a lot of batteries, the one I like the best for backpacking is the INIU Portable Charger, 10000mAh 5V/3A Power Bank. It's vey thin, lightweight and the USB C port can both charge and discharge. It also has two USB A ports for discharging. It also has a charge indicator light so you know how much power you have left in it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As an AMAZON Vine reviewer I get lots of free product for evaluation. I can't count how many power packs I've evaluated. Probably the most important feature that I found that differentiates them for the backpacker is whether or not they shut off automatically when the phone is fully charged. Apparently, some manufacturers think this is a good idea. I'm guessing because it extends batter life. Whether or not that's true I don't know.

However, I like to plug my phone in and keep it continuously charged during the day and not have to keep pushing the button on the battery to get it working again. Also, I've been in situations where I don't have access to electricity at night (not very often but it has happened) and I want to have a fully charged phone in the morning. Having to press the button on a battery every few hours doesn't work for me.

After testing a lot of batteries, the one I like the best for backpacking is the INIU Portable Charger, 10000mAh 5V/3A Power Bank. It's vey thin, lightweight and the USB C port can both charge and discharge. It also has two USB A ports for discharging. It also has a charge indicator light so you know how much power you have left in it.
Well, on the strength of your recommendation I’ve just bought one.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
3 Camino’s, close to 100 days on the Way, 2000km +/-, never completely exhausted the battery on my iPhone even using GPS. In a pinch, buy a café in a bar and they’ll probably let you charge your phone. To me seems like an unnecessary expense and weight.

As I’ve said many times before, my opinion and $5 will get you a bad coffee at an unnamed chain of coffee shops based in Seattle. 😎

3 Camino’s, close to 100 days on the Way, 2000km +/-, never completely exhausted the battery on my iPhone even using GPS. In a pinch, buy a café in a bar and they’ll probably let you charge your phone. To me seems like an unnecessary expense and weight.

As I’ve said many times before, my opinion and $5 will get you a bad coffee at an unnamed chain of coffee shops based in Seattle. 😎
In terms of expense it’s probably 4-5 bad coffees.

My overpriced iPhone just cost me about 250 bad coffees.

Which one do you think I’m going to leave on charge whilst I go off in search of dinner?

Clearly those using exclusively private rooms don’t need to consider that, but in more traditional pilgrim accommodation ‘trust in God, but tether your camel’ still applies.

I was rarely in a private room and I agree, I wouldn’t leave my phone anywhere out of sight. My point was that an external battery may not be needed at all and that option had not been raised.

€46,-
Some airlines limit the size of power banks able to be flown
True?

Yes.

Air Canada's, for example, webpage on restricted items details that airline's limits for lithium batteries:

Other airlines' regulations probably differ.

I think you'll be happy with it. I've got well over 1000 miles of hiking on mine and it's still my go to battery for backpacking. Another thing I like about it is how rapidly it charges back up, especially if you use a high watt charger. I'm not sure of what it can actually handle, but they have built in circuitry to throttle back the charge to what they can handle. I bring along a 65W charger with USB C output and it works really well but also works with a standard 20W USB A output.

And indeed I’ve tried it.

Good recommendation from @CA_Pilgrim . It gives me 1.25 full charges of an iPhone15 pro max. One USBC in/out port and 2 USBA out ports. Comes with a short USBC/USBA lead Has an integral ‘flashlight’. It’s compact, tactile and slightly rounded. Mine is in ‘please don’t lose me red’.

(I also like that the charge indicator is in the shape of a dog paw print.)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've been in situations where I don't have access to electricity at night (not very often but it has happened) and I want to have a fully charged phone in the morning.
Although this warning is no help in choosing a battery it is in charging one. On my Camino Catalan I stayed in two albergues where, when the room's lights were shut off for the night, the power to the wall outlets were also. If you plan on charging something overnight run a test early enough to charge your device before bedtime in case you run into a similar situation.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thank you for this information.

You mentioned that some power banks turn themselves off when the to-be-charged device is fully charged. I am familiar with that feature (think it occurs when the load current drops below some threshold) and it creates a problem for one of my use-cases.

You also mentioned the "INIU Portable Charger, 10000mAh 5V/3A Power Bank".

Does that particular model shut off automatically or does it continue to maintain output voltage even when load current drops to zero?

If it does not shut off (indeed, I want one that does NOT shut itself off) then might you please us with provide the exact model number so that I and perhaps others can order one.

It may be that it is the battery management component of the phone that controls the current coming from an external battery or charger. If so you may be Googling in vain looking for the feature in online product descriptions. I don't know for sure but I don't want anyone wasting time chasing the wrong thing.

It may be that it is the battery management component of the phone that controls the current coming from an external battery or charger. If so you may be Googling in vain looking for the feature in online product descriptions. I don't know for sure but I don't want anyone wasting time chasing the wrong thing.

For greater clarity, I seek a reliable and safe retail off-the-shelf USB power bank of large capacity that does not turn off its output voltage regardless of external load current and indeed regardless of whether or not an external device is connected at all, until the lower bank's own battery is depleted to the point where additional run-time will start to damage the power bank's battery.

All the power banks that I have encountered automatically turn off their output voltage a few minutes (+-) after the external load current drops below some threshold, even when the power banks' own battery has not yet fallen anywhere near its low-voltage safety cut-off. I guess it is an energy-conservation feature.

Once such power banks turns themselves off, one must push a button to turn them on again.

The problem posed by the auto-off feature is that very-low-current-draw external loads do not draw sufficient current to keep the power bank "on". Thus they cannot be powered by the power bank for very long before the power bank auto-offs itself.

Such power banks can be restarted by pressing a button but the requirement for human intervention makes such power banks unsuitable for my use case.

I can make the power bank stay "on" by simply increasing the current draw of my load, but that would shorten the time between needing to recharge the power bank, so I don't want to do that.

Last edited:
Thank you for this information.

You mentioned that some power banks turn themselves off when the to-be-charged device is fully charged. I am familiar with that feature (think it occurs when the load current drops below some threshold) and it creates a problem for one of my use-cases.

You also mentioned the "INIU Portable Charger, 10000mAh 5V/3A Power Bank".

Does that particular model shut off automatically or does it continue to maintain output voltage even when load current drops to zero?

If it does not shut off (indeed, I want one that does NOT shut itself off) then might you please us with provide the exact model number so that I and perhaps others can order one.
Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been traveling for a while. No, the INIU Portable Charger, 10000mAh 5V/3A Power Bank does not shut off. It keeps charging until you unplug it from the device. This is one reason why it is my go to battery pack for hiking.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been traveling for a while. No, the INIU Portable Charger, 10000mAh 5V/3A Power Bank does not shut off. It keeps charging until you unplug it from the device. This is one reason why it is my go to battery pack for hiking.

There is absolutely no need to apologize and I certainly appreciate the new information.

I have ordered one and will see how it does for my low-current-draw application.

Cheers!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We walked our first Camino de Santiago in May & June this year. and I was quite worried about the lack of access to power sockets.

As a result, I took a 10,000mAh slimline battery pack, and a 15W solar panel from Decathlon (search for "Forclaz 15W solar panel").

It turns out that my worries were very misplaced: Without exception, every hostel we stayed at had power sockets to charge up devices, even the very rural places.

There was one place that only had a single socket in the room, but luckily I'd taken a 3-way USB charger so the three of us could all charge our devices overnight from the one socket.

In fact, the only time I used the panel was leaving Castrojeriz, just to prove that it worked (it clipped very nicely to the top of my 38L Deuter backpack, with one of the three panels on the top, and the other two panels folded down the front).

Next time, I'd leave the solar panel behind and just take the battery pack.

There was one place that only had a single socket in the room, but luckily I'd taken a 3-way USB charger so the three of us could all charge our devices overnight from the one socket.
I want to add a note of caution. On my Camino Catalan a few years ago I stayed at two albergues where the switch for the overhead lights also turned off the power to the wall outlets. Test for this before relying on an overnight charge.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.