• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

El camino 2025

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Welcome Ahdy! I think the reason you haven't received many answers, is that it is very common to start this walk alone, for many, like me, that is part of the point, not to be dependent on others. What I can certainly guarantee you is that you will not be alone! There are hundreds that start where you've planned, especially April/May, which is high season, so - you're guaranteed to meet people you can walk, interact and stay with, at your own pace and with those you yourself want to bond with. And also, google it, and there are lots of companies with organised groups also if you prefer that.
Buen camino :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you
Yes, it’s quite busy, and you will have plenty of company. I started April 4th,2024 and all accommodations in SJPP or Roncevalles were sold out. You’ll probably want to book those first few days in advance…..

It actually gets less busy in June. If you make arrangements with someone you’re kind of committed to that person even if it doesn’t work out. Most other people are looking to make friends also.

Last edited:
It can seem a little scarey at first. You'll meet other people who feel the same and probably make friends. Try not to match your pace with others though bevause you may cause an injury by not walking your own pace.

April and May are two of the busiest months. If you start your walk then, I agree that you may want reservations for the first few days until at least Pamplona especially if you plan to stay at Orrison, Roncesvalles, and Zubiri. If you plan to walk via Valcarlos, you can probably stay in some of the other small towns and it will be less busy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That’s very helpful, thank you what’s the best guide book ( map) to to help study the route, stops and accommodation?
Many like the Brierley guide (already mentioned). I find the Gronze.com website useful. It is in Spanish, but you can probably get your web browser to translate it for you. Many will, these days. Be sure to look at the "Al Loro" ("To the parrot") tab for each stage, too.

There are also apps that are great for planning as well as for keeping you on the path when you are there. Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino are the two most popular, I think, although Camino Ninja has its ardent supporters. They are all either free or so cheap that you could just do like I do and get all three.

My favourite guide to the Frances, which isn't a map and will be of no help at all for accommodation, is Gitlitz and Davidson's The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That’s very helpful, thank you what’s the best guide book ( map) to to help study the route, stops and accommodation?
I love the "Moon" Camino de Santiago guide, especially for cultural information. I bought the digital edition so I could have it on my phone.

And also for a phone: "Gronze.com" website with a browser like Safari or Chrome that translates webpages, and the "wise pilgrim app" will give you all the current information you need about accommodations.

A much-loved navigation app around here is called "Mapy.cz." Download the Spanish country map on your phone and you don't even need an Internet connection. In settings click on the outdoor overlay and you'll get a really clear-to-read trail map.

If you prefer a paper map, the Brierly guidebook is probably the best.

There are very few campsites along the Camino Frances and wild camping is illegal in Spain. A very few people do do it, but it seems like more trouble than it's worth considering all the Albergues.

And to play the devils advocate to myself, if you want to really simplify everything, just book the 3 to 5 nights from SJPP to Pamplona in advance, and you can just follow the yellow arrows to Santiago without any guides, maps or anything and you’ll do just fine.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Welcome Ahdy! I think the reason you haven't received many answers, is that it is very common to start this walk alone, for many, like me, that is part of the point, not to be dependent on others. What I can certainly guarantee you is that you will not be alone! There are hundreds that start where you've planned, especially April/May, which is high season, so - you're guaranteed to meet people you can walk, interact and stay with, at your own pace and with those you yourself want to bond with. And also, google it, and there are lots of companies with organised groups also if you prefer that.
Buen camino :)
Hi. I also am planning May 2025. Did you walk with your backpack, or use a luggage transfer each day? If luggage transfer, how do you set that up?
Thank you, Ellen

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I like to have my thi
Hi. I also am planning May 2025. Did you walk with your backpack, or use a luggage transfer each day? If luggage transfer, how do you set that up?
Thank you, Ellen
I like to have my things with me and usually stay where luggage transfer is not accepted. I don't usually make reservations. It depends on what kind of Camino you want. Some people find it stressful not to have a guarantee of a bed each night. I find it stress ful to think I must reach a certain place each day and I am always worried about what is happening to my things with luggage transfer. It is a personal preference.

I like to have my thi
I like to have my things with me and usually stay where luggage transfer is not accepted. I don't usually make reservations. It depends on what kind of Camino you want. Some people find it stressful not to have a guarantee of a bed each night. I find it stress ful to think I must reach a certain place each day and I am always worried about what is happening to my things with luggage transfer. It is a personal preference.
Thank you. That is a decision I will need to make. Any good resources for efficient packing for the Camino, if I carry my own?
Thanks.

Simple. Wear one outfit, pack one. You can scan the threads about packing here. Some brave souls post their packing lists and get feedback from forum members.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is it viable to carry a tent and camp every night.?
It’s not legal to wild camp in Spain. While campgrounds exist, they are very infrequent and not often located on the Camino. There are a number of existing post threads addressing this issue that you should review if you’d like to explore this option

There is a good old school book about Camino packing lists. One author is S. Yates. You can search for it on Kindle.

Last edited:
I love the "Moon" Camino de Santiago guide, especially for cultural information. I bought the digital edition so I could have it on my phone.
I like this guidebook, too. Better than Brierley for me. I also have the digital addition. It reminds me a lot of the guidebooks for student travelers I used when backpacking around Europe on the 80s, which I loved. But that sort of guidebook seems to not exist any more.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'm starting the camino on sept. 27 in Leon. I'm a bit apprehensive to start the journey alone. Are any other ladies going to be starting then also and want to walk that first leg? OR, are there...
Hello all, Been reading all your very valuable posts and advice for a few weeks now in anticipation of starting tomorrow! Can only get a portion of Francés done on this trip (probably as far as...
Hi. I'm starting at SJPDP on Thursday 12 September. Quite nervous as the weather has been rainy and misty and my biggest concern is spotting the signs.
Hi Pilgrims! I am planning on starting the Camino Frances between Oct 10-13 and I was hoping to get input about a couple specifics: What's the weather trend for this year? Am I a fool to not...
Hi everyone - so glad to find this forum. have 4 weeks approx and intend on taking the walk handy enough!! to Santiago, onwards to Finisterre and Muxia. looking forward to it, and meeting some...
September 19, @FallCamino2024, (SJPdP) âś…

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.