Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dumb Question - Does Muxia, Fisterra to Santiago Qualify?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I'm sure that walking from Muxia, via Fisterra to Santiago must qualify for a Compostela.
But thought I would ask in case I'm missing something.
I make it 106 kms. (Actually Gronze shows it as 102 kms.)

I'm just planning a bit of a hybrid Camino with Pat (the Boss) and she would like to collect a couple more Compostelas "In Vicarie Pro" for relatives who have passed.

We're planning on the Madrid to Sahagun. I'm hoping it's like the VdlP. Still researching.
Then the Sanabres from Ourense to Santiago.
Then Muxia, Fisterra, Santiago.

So am I safe telling her she can get a Compostela for Muxia, Fistera, Santiago?

I'd prefer to walk it the other way as Muxia is such a wonderful end point.
But I'm sure it will be great walking it back to Santiago too.

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
@Robo, The Beloved has a Compostela for that very route. I think, as advised in another thread, it’s worth checking whether you can enter Muxia as a starting point on the Pilgrims Office website. If you can, and can meet the rest of the PO’s criteria The Boss can stake her claim

Yep, looks like a valid start point! :)

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I thought I had read somwhere that you couldn't get a Compostela if you started your camino in Finistera, or Muxia. However, the first web site I went to notes:

Before they start walking, many pilgrims wonder where they should begin their Camino de Santiago to get the Compostela. We can help you with that! If you’re going to walk the Camino, as a minimum, you will need to start in Sarria if you’re on the Camino Francés (French Route); in Tui on the Camino Portugués (Portuguese Route); in Ferrol or Neda on the Camino Inglés (English Route); Vilalba on the Camino del Norte (Northern Route); Lugo on the Camino Primitivo (Primitive or Original Route) or Ourense for the Camino Sanabrés or Vía de la Plata (Silver or Mozarabic Route). Even those taking the Camino to Finisterre and Muxía in the reverse direction (towards Santiago) can get the Compostela if they take the coastal stage of the Camino between Muxía and Finisterre and complete the rest of the route to the Galician capital.

So all looks good Robo for your future plans!!

Buen Camino

I thought I had read somwhere that you couldn't get a Compostela if you started your camino in Finistera, or Muxia.
If you start in Fisterra or MuxĂ­a and don't first walk between the two before heading east to Santiago the distance doesn't qualify for a Compostela. But when you add the ~28 km between Fisterra and MuxĂ­a it is more than 100 km.

Most read last week in this forum

My next Camino is with my dearly beloved. We are doing a bit of a hybrid Camino, with our last walk of three, being Muxia-Fisterra-Santiago. The earlier routes we are walking this time will have...
Help ! Was walking the Santiago to Finesterre Camino from Vilaserio to Albergue Ponte Oliveira on Wednesday 11 September. Unfortunately I lost my varifocal glasses somewhere on route The glasses...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back