• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Different types of trains and their rules....

ctmalone

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024
I have seen a lot about riding Renfe and the bike policy. I am trying to understand some logistics about getting back to Lisbon after my trip.
I understand that on Media Distancia you dont need to include bike as a add-on if packed. OR you can bring it on unpacked but must do a bike add on. I am starting to get confused by the different train types and what I can and cant bring my bike on or how I could bring it.

my route would require:

Regional Renfe (Santiago-Vigo) ---- I can bring bike assembled. But to confirm is regional the same as Media Distancia?
Tren Celta Renfe (Vigo-Porto) this is where I am getting lost. I cant find any information on it.
CP either Alfa Pendular or Regional (Porto- Lisbon)- We need to disassemble to bring bikes.

I am mainly looking for assistance in confirming that on all my research those three train rules are correct and that I am able to bring my bikes on these trains either fully assembled (across Spain in Regional and Tren Celta) or disabled (in Portugal). Ideally It would all be assembled.

Attachments

• 2024-07-17_20-59-56.png
    2024-07-17_20-59-56.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 247
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Types of trains and whether they can be left assembled.

Have done Santiago/Vigo and Porto/Lisbon with an assembled bike using MD/Regional in Spain and Regional/InterRegional. But be aware that although you might have a ticket for you and a ticket for the bike (Spain) in both countries it is the train guard that decides if you get on. This is simply to allow foot passengers preference over the cyclists.

Be prepared to have to wait for another train if the one you want is busy.

Types of trains and whether they can be left assembled.

Have done Santiago/Vigo and Porto/Lisbon with an assembled bike using MD/Regional in Spain and Regional/InterRegional. But be aware that although you might have a ticket for you and a ticket for the bike (Spain) in both countries it is the train guard that decides if you get on. This is simply to allow foot passengers preference over the cyclists.

Be prepared to have to wait for another train if the one you want is busy.

So you did not need to pack the bag up in Portugal on AP/R? I had thought that was required.

My plan would be to try to get the first train in the morning to Vigo so i can get the first train to Porto. I dont know if its similar to where I live but the earlier the train the better chance I can bring bikes on it in my day to day. It seems like the line between Vigo and Porto is not as frequent so thats the one I want to make sure I get.

Would you recommend us brining a compact bike bag just in case they want us to disassemble it?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As back up I would take a roll of strong black bin bags and roll of tape. Usual process is to remove the front wheel, remove or twist handle bars and remove pedals. I have hydraulic disc breaks on the front and wedge a piece of plastic or cardboard between the discs (thats what I’ve always done for the coach but never taken the bike by train). Do check if you need to buy a ‘ticket’ for the bike?
Do keep us posted as it’s a recurring issue

Would you recommend us brining a compact bike bag just in case they want us to disassemble it?

What a good idea. During an Italian trip a couple of months ago we have to get one quickly for a flight back. We ordered one from Decathlon. They don't stock them on the shelves but you can get one by ordering Click and Collect. Think it was this one

What a good idea. During an Italian trip a couple of months ago we have to get one quickly for a flight back. We ordered one from Decathlon. They don't stock them on the shelves but you can get one by ordering Click and Collect. Think it was this one

The only debate is to if its worth lugging that halfway around the world hahaha its a little big. I might stock up on trash bags and duct tape in Santiago so that way its less to bring with me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As back up I would take a roll of strong black bin bags and roll of tape. Usual process is to remove the front wheel, remove or twist handle bars and remove pedals. I have hydraulic disc breaks on the front and wedge a piece of plastic or cardboard between the discs (thats what I’ve always done for the coach but never taken the bike by train). Do check if you need to buy a ‘ticket’ for the bike?
Do keep us posted as it’s a recurring issue
I think this might be our plan. Makes it easier to plan on the go and not carry tons of extra material halfway across the world.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back