• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Debutant on the Camino: from Puy in May 2011

mstensen

Hello fellow walkers,
I have taken great pleasure in reading the messages posted here in this forum; from so many experienced walkers, writing down the great tips and advices so generously shared.
And now,I am about to go off on my first Camino ever myself, and am delighted. And absolutely exited.
I am planning to walk from Puy mid May, and two weeks on, as that is the stretch of Holiday I have for now. However I get somewhat concerned when I read that this is peak season for French walkers. Will it be necessary to book in gites or b&b's in advance all along the way? And how about distances? I read most trips are starting out with the walk from Puy to SP d'Ailler, and on with an average of + 20 kms a day. That seems to me a bit strenuous on hilly roads, especially when not super fit. And do anyone have tips to what to bring for lunch picnics, amount-wise, as I get that there are not many shopping options along the way.

Thanks for any advice to a newcomer!
Merete

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
You can stop at Montbonnet for a shorter first day. Email them to be sure they will be open; they take holidays off, too. Reserving ahead is a good idea even for the gites d'etape. I was reserved at one, it was full when I arrived, but the Mairie representative kicked out the ones who had taken bunks without reservations (though they were permitted to sleep outside and use the kitchen and showers). Offices de tourisme and gites will call ahead for you if you have a hard time communicating in French on the phone. Two to three days ahead is all you need to reserve. Miam Miam Dodo is a good source for phone numbers. Be sure to cancel reservations that you will not be using. Even a couple of hours in advance will be appreciated by the operators. It will keep them from turning away pilgrims who drop in. Unused reservations are the number one complaint from the gites.

Have a good trip, and give my best to La Bete du Gevaudan. Like most big dogs, he was just misunderstood.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks a lot Falcon! I'll definitely get hold of Miam Miam dodo. My french is poor, but not totally useless, nice to know anyway that help can found around.
I looked up Montbonnet on the map; and seems to be a gentler starting goal for my first day: I'll contact them! And from there on, I guess I'll try to find the flow and go with that...I find it very difficult to plan every step of the road down in detail. And I guess I am also reluctant to do so, as I know one thing for certain, and that is that I cannot predict much about anything. Not knowing how my feet will feel, if my back will ache, if it rains cats and dogs or if I'm simply so happy walking, that nothing can stop me from going on and on. I guess I'll get plenty of chances to see things from all sides.
You seem to be a very experienced walker; would you recommend warm clothes on this route in May?
Greetings from a Caminando in progress

Hi
We walked Le Puy to Conques in the second half of May 2007. The weather was mixed but I think you need to be prepared for it to be fairly cold in the Aubrac region. This area usually has snow up to the end of April, or so I have read. I remember walking up on the plateau on a sunny day with wild flowers in full bloom and it was beautiful but I was glad of my warm hat and gloves. Having said that, I don't think you need to go overboard with the warm clothes. I had the usual technical t shirts, micro fleece and rain jacket and was fine. On our second venture from Conques to Cahors we hit really hot weather. So, like all the other routes, you need to be prepared for both. Layers are definitly the answer.
I am sure you will love this route.I think it is the most beautiful route, scenery-wise that I have done.We have yet to do the final stage and I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will make it later this year.
Bon Chemin
Anna

Hi Anna, Thank you for your reply, and nice advice; I'll bring my fleece after all. And be prepared on layers, as you say.
I am looking so much forward to this adventure, and to the spoken of scenery along this route. Being a Norwegian, I am used to walking in hilly landscapes, so that doesn't bother me. I have never walked with my whole set of supplies on my back before though. So that's why I'm cautious on what and how much to carry.
I hope you will make it to your walk this year too!
Bonne chance, and greetings,
Merete

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Merete.
About food: Ask for demi-pension when you book a place to sleep in the small villages. Might be the only place to get dinner.
I carried more food and water on the Le Puy chemin than on the Camino Frances. Lunchtime in France is 12- 14.00 and i often got a no at 13.30. I sometimes found it difficult to get enough to eat since I cannot eat the white bread with jam and cakes that often was the only option. I usually bring a packet of knekkebrød( do not know what the English word for knekkebrød is), buy some cheese along the road and some tomatoes or fruit. If you can eat sugar there are these energybars you by in sportsshops that are easy to carry and gives you about the same amount of energy as a slice of bread with something on.
Nutrilettbars or Atkinsons bars is the same stuff I think.
I wish you a wonderful camino. I started from le Puy middle of August 2009 and went to Santiago.
Want to go back nezt spring to see the landscape in spring.
Bonne chemin!
Randi

do not know what the English word for knekkebrød is
Crisp bread or hard bread (Swedish: knäckebröd, hårt bröd, hårdbröd, spisbröd, Danish: knækbrød, Norwegian: knekkebrød, Finnish: näkkileipä, hapankorppu, Icelandic: hrökkbrauð, German: Knäckebrot or Knäcke) is a flat and dry type of bread or cracker, containing mostly rye flour. It is popular in armies and schools because of its light weight and simple, transport-friendly shape. Also, it is very cheap and if stored in dry conditions it will keep fresh and edible for a very long time. Crisp bread is a staple food and was for a long time considered a poor man's diet. However, in recent years there has been renewed interest in crisp bread in the Nordic countries.

Thank you Randi; The tip on bringing knekkebrød is definitely useful (I'm familiar with that; being a Norwegian myself:)). And i's true; it weighs next to nothing, but gives a lot. At least when nothing else is in sight.. And I'll try to book with demi-pension where that is possible.
I am looking so much forward to the journey; I already regret that I didn't take longer time off... But then: I'll have some more walks to come back to, isn't it???
Hope you'll get to walk your walk too!
Merete

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with Falcon about staying in Montbonnet: for a first day it made a more manageable introduction to the route, and I stayed at L'Escole, a very welcoming private gîte where I had demi-pension and a wonderful shared evening meal with others. Then next day I walked as far as Monistrol d'Allier, also not too far.

The pass over the Aubrac Plateau reaches quite a high altitude- 1340m a sign I saw said- and you also walk at nearly the same altitude near Le Sauvage, so you could strike very cold, wet weather in either place.

I loved this section of the route so much I might walk it again sometime!

All the best Merete.
Margaret

Thank you Margaret! From Montbonnet on to Monistrol d'Allier is exactly what I have in mind; thinking that a gentle start will pay off, plus give me time to enjoy the scenery.
Even if it might get cold... Having received many nice tips and advices, I do start to feel prepared. And some parts are impossible to prepare for anyway, isn't it?
Anyway; I'm looking forward to it all.
Are you going this year?

Greetings, Merete

Merete,
Much as I would love to, I need to save some more money first! Maybe in 2012/13 I will walk- perhaps from Cluny to Le Puy, and I have some other 'bits and pieces' in mind. Time will tell!
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I have just finished The Portugues da Costa. We were surprised to find that a number of pilgrims used apps. to find the shortest routes between A and B. This often meant they were...
Hello community, apologies if this has already been asked or if it is not relevant. I was thinking of doing a Camino (starting around end of November) and I am doing some research on which one...
Hello pilgrims, Buen Camino! My name is Tinway. I began our journey from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on April 12 this year. I met a lot of nice and kind people and some of them even became my...
It’s been a long time coming, but I’m back on the Camino again, after waiting several years. I lost my dear wife Cathy in early 2020, after caring for her for eight years. I had planned to walk...
Hello from Canada! I am interested in doing the full camino Frances in Fall 2025. I have done many bike trips in France on my own carrying my stuff on my bike but for the Camino I am looking to...
Good day to all fellow pilgrims past and present. This month holds something very dear to my family and friends of my brother who recently suddenly passed away. This month I’m not sure of the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back