• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • October the 12th 2004 I posted the first post here on this forum. 20 years have passed. Thank you for being such a good group of people and for hanging around. More here in this thread. All the best from Santiago, Ivar

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Cycling France

OzAlex

Camino Frances Autumn 2014 and Spring 2018 & 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
2025 Via Francigena - Canterbury to Rome
Hello
I'm looking to complete the Via Francigena next year from Canterbury to Rome.
I was planning to cycle through France and walk from Switzerland.
Does anyone have any information on cycling the section through France please?
Regards
Alex

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I cycled the VF Canterbury to Rome in 2017.
I have to say that I found the northern parts of France were a little tedious in the sense that the landscape is undulating arable fields.
Perhaps that's a false memory...
For me what was more interesting was seeing the WW1 battlefields and war graves
The further south I went, I found the scenery more inspiring.
There are fewer accommodation options than in the Italian section of the VF
One important thing to consider is choosing the dates that you plan to arrive at the Great St Bernard Pass. The road over the top to the GSB hospice (cycling(and walking I would think)through the tunnel is disallowed) is limited by snow until about mid June I think. I don't know how it works out if you're planning on walking the Swiss section.
All in all, it's a very inspiring pilgrim route. Enjoy!
Matt

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I cycled the VF Canterbury to Rome in 2017.
I have to say that I found the northern parts of France were a little tedious in the sense that the landscape is undulating arable fields.
Perhaps that's a false memory...
For me what was more interesting was seeing the WW1 battlefields and war graves
The further south I went, I found the scenery more inspiring.
There are fewer accommodation options than in the Italian section of the VF
One important thing to consider is choosing the dates that you plan to arrive at the Great St Bernard Pass. The road over the top to the GSB hospice (cycling(and walking I would think)through the tunnel is disallowed) is limited by snow until about mid June I think. I don't know how it works out if you're planning on walking the Swiss section.
All in all, it's a very inspiring pilgrim route. Enjoy!
Matt
Thanks Matt , I had heard something similar about walking through certain parts of France. I am also interested in the WW1 history part of the trip.
I’m looking to use my road bike with wider tyres for the trip to cope with different surfaces , was this an issue for you at all ?
Regards
Alex

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
WW1 cemeteries are (regrettably) too many in that area. The town of Albert (rail connection to Paris) is the centre of that area. Pics from some places you might pass by.

Albert was as far as I got before my derailleur fell apart (must pack lighter next time). So I skipped ahead to past Besancon. I still have the French section to do, so will be interested in the route you eventually take.

Attachments

• IMG_1773.webp
    IMG_1773.webp
    699.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1777.webp
    IMG_1777.webp
    722.9 KB · Views: 3
Thanks Matt , I had heard something similar about walking through certain parts of France. I am also interested in the WW1 history part of the trip.
I’m looking to use my road bike with wider tyres for the trip to cope with different surfaces , was this an issue for you at all ?
Regards
Alex
Alex.
I used my Surly Ogre, a rigid steel frame bike on 50-622 Shwalbe Supreme tyres. I had absolutely no issues with the tyres. Mechanically I went through quite a few pairs of disc brake pads (I should have used sintered) but fortunately I had brought enough spare pads so didn't have to rely on finding bike shops. As you can see, I was pretty well loaded (the bike, not me)
Hope the info helps!
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_20170618_095036.webp
    IMG_20170618_095036.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I'm looking to complete the Via Francigena next year from Canterbury to Rome. I was planning to cycle through France and walk from Switzerland. Does anyone have any information on cycling...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back