• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Cushioned Compression Socks

Unweekends

American - planning 1st time Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2025
Hi I'm trying to figure out the right sock for me. I am 47 with diabetes and overweight. I have a wide width foot, and do tend to get blisters.

It was recommended to wear compression socks from merino wool for extended walking like this. I was going to wear the knee length ones, to support my calves as well & not just the crew length ones ( even though I'll be wearing low top trail shoes)

I narrowed it down to the brand Smartwool because they have high reviews for quality. They are expensive at about $40 a pair.

They have different levels of cushion ( targeted, light, full, extra & maximum) - in that order from least to most cushioning. It seems like the more cushion they have the warmer they are & the top two levels are listed as ski socks for this reason.

Which level is best to maximize cushion (to help with circulation, walking fatigue & blisters) while at the same time being cool enough to wear in mid- May?

Also I'm wondering if I should still weari te ultralight silk socks liners underneath?

Because the socks are so expensive, I can't buy one of every type to try them out.

I plan on the following set-up for comfort, pain management & blister prevention:
Trail shoes that are 1 size up, extra-wide ( I found a pair that are 2E), superfeet orthopedic cushion insoles, ultralight silk socks liners, & cushioned Smartwool compression socks.

I really want to be sure I'm comfortable & not in pain. But is this a good set-up or too much? I will have open toed hiking sandals as my back- up for the Alberges.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wrights socks on skin, second pair in sneaker - and baby powder to start each morning

Buen Camino

I wear both icebreaker and Darn Tough socks on the Camino.

Edit: I don't wear liner socks. I just buy the hiking weight sock. Crew height with trail runners.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum