• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Creating an account in mapy.cz from US

andycohn

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature
Like many on the forum, I am a great fan of mapy.cz and recommend it to my friends, both "normal" friends and fellow caminoholics. However, I have gotten repeated reports back from them -- and also from my wife -- that they have been unable to create an account. The specific problem seems to be that mapy.cz sends you a text as a final step in opening the account, but if you have a U.S. phone number, the text never arrives. Whatsapp is not a solution.

I myself was able to open an account years ago, but I no longer remember how (perhaps I used a European phone number).

Overall, this is not a big deal, since you can use virtually all of the features of mapy,cz whether or not you have an account, but with an account you can save tracks you have created, which is nice when, for example, you're looking to repeat a walk you did in the past.

Just wondering if anyone out there has found a solution. It should be specific to people in the US, though probably Canada, too.

I also have no desire to get into a debate over what's the best app, which will merely derail the thread. As @perigrina2000 said on another thread, the best navigation app is the one you use.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As @perigrina2000 said on another thread, the best navigation app is the one you use.
Yes, but I know that you and a few others believe that I will someday see the errors of my wikiloc ways. You may be surprised to know I have mapy on my phone! But you will not be surprised to know that I have no help to offer you to answer your question. I bet you won’t have long to wait till some knowledgeable forum member comes along. Good luck.

I was exercising uncharacteristic self-restraint in not vaunting the virtues of mapy.cz (it's your influence on me!)

And of course, shocked and delighted that you have now downloaded mapy on your phone. I confess that I have now done the same with Wikiloks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have your wife and friends tried registering on the website instead of the app? I don't know if that's the answer, because like you, I created my account years ago, and don't remember needing to receive a text to activate it. But it could be worth a try.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@trecile has come up with the solution! While it is indeed impossible to set up an account from the US using a cell phone, it is quite easy to do so from either a desk top computer or a laptop, and it doesn't seem to matter what your operating system is -- whether Windows or Apple.

Here's the steps:

1. Go to www.mapy.cz on your computer.
2. Click on the Log In tab at the upper-right hand corner.
3. Click on Register.
4. At this point you need to give them either your email address or a cell phone number (if a cell phone number, make sure you enter +1 prior to the rest of the number). At this step you also create a password.
5. Mapy.cz will direct you to send a text from your cell phone to a number in the Czech Republic.
6. Do it!!!!! (Even though it will probably set you back 75 cents to send an international text. And yes, it is weird that you can send a text to mapy.cz but they can't send one to you).
7. You're done.

You now have an account with mapy.cz that also allows you to save the tracks you've created, or import and save someone else's tracks.

Beyond mapy.cz's other features.

Thank you, @trecile for the suggestion.

Most read last week in this forum